Not Another Headcovering Thread (Really)

General Christian Theology
Heirbyadoption

Not Another Headcovering Thread (Really)

Post by Heirbyadoption »

No debate on the relevance/validity of headcoverings in this thread, please. Simply looking for info/reviews. My wife was wondering if any of you parents (particularly mothers) have come across any books or literature on the subject mentioned in the title that would be engaging specifically for young or pre-teen girls. And yes, she already has the Bible. She did come across the following link, has anyone read through it (or others similar) who would have any critique thereof? Thanks in advance.
https://joycescoverings.com/product/mama-why/
0 x
steve-in-kville

Re: Not Another Headcovering Thread (Really)

Post by steve-in-kville »

Are you open to a YouTube channel?
0 x
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

The .most easily accessible thing I've seen for a younger audience is probably Head Covering Movement. https://youtube.com/@headcovering?feature=shared

Still aimed at adults, but pretty simple presentations. They aren't specific to any tradition, and not every contributor veils all the time (some just in church gatherings), and a few of the videos might talk about "style" in a way that might chafe against a plain Christian's convictions.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:43 am The .most easily accessible thing I've seen for a younger audience is probably Head Covering Movement. https://youtube.com/@headcovering?feature=shared

Still aimed at adults, but pretty simple presentations. They aren't specific to any tradition, and not every contributor veils all the time (some just in church gatherings), and a few of the videos might talk about "style" in a way that might chafe against a plain Christian's convictions.
There’s a certain irony there since the plainer groups have a very specific very defined style.
0 x
Praxis+Theodicy

Josh wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:48 am
Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:43 am The .most easily accessible thing I've seen for a younger audience is probably Head Covering Movement. https://youtube.com/@headcovering?feature=shared

There’s a certain irony there since the plainer groups have a very specific very defined style.
Sorry, I guess I meant fashion. What I mean is, there are videos discussing different headcovering styles, some suited to be more fancy or fashionable or to portray a certain aesthetic. Treating the headcovering as both a covering and an adornment similar to jewelry.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 12:42 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:48 am

Sorry, I guess I meant fashion. What I mean is, there are videos discussing different headcovering styles, some suited to be more fancy or fashionable or to portray a certain aesthetic. Treating the headcovering as both a covering and an adornment similar to jewelry.
I understand. :) That is the praxis in some BMA, most Charity etc. circles.
0 x
Heirbyadoption

Post by Heirbyadoption »

steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:40 amAre you open to a YouTube channel?
Yes.
Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:43 amThe .most easily accessible thing I've seen for a younger audience is probably Head Covering Movement.
I've been on there in discussions (as well as involved in 2 or 3 Facebook groups stemming from it) since shortly after its inception, and then since its move to FB. I have very much appreciated Jeremy's work and exposure of the subject of headship & covering, though he and I would tend to disagree on several aspects of headcovering (how much to cover, when to wear, why to wear, etc). A good resource, but probably not what I would expose my preteen daughter to initially, based on my understanding/convictions of what the Scripture calls for.... Thanks for the suggestion, though!
1 x
Praxis+Theodicy

If I can make a suggestion; this is something I've learned and am still learning.

The best, most accessible source of information and instilling values in a child is their parents. I've learned that if I want my children to know or value or understand something, I need to first know and value it deeply at my core, then marinate in it day after day to "instill" it into my mind, then maybe write about it or talk about it, or in other ways practice expressing it so that I can communicate these values to any other audience. Or at least, the the audience of my children.

Don't discount sources that aren't accessible for children. Spend some time in those sources, read them together with your spouse, have a conversation about it. Encourage one another to journal about it. Spend some time fasting while considering the ordinance. Pray about it over and over. Let it sink in and make an impression in your mind so that you will be "ready to give an answer to the hope that is within you". Don't rush it. You have years and years with your children, and you see them every day. That is an advantage that no one else has. Don't let that fact put pressure on you; allow it to take the pressure off! If your children don't get it today, they may get it soon, just by virtue of being around you a lot.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

When we have family devotions at night or prayer before a meal is a time when our children see the head covering practices. (We also like to assume a kneeling positing at evening devotions.) They also see this behaviour at church, along with a diligence at church to wear more significant head coverings. Such things, I think, create an opportunity for children to eventually ask “why”.
1 x
Swiss Bro

Post by Swiss Bro »

On a related note, Garlands of Grace went out of business. What are some alternatives?
0 x