War in Gaza

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: War in Gaza

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:23 am I think you would benefit from people who have been speaking for Israel too and I'm sure he's not the only one in Israel running this war on terror. Shame on Hamas for putting innocent people in harms way.
Most of my opinions about this I formed when I worked for an Israeli company and my colleagues felt free to share their political opinions with me. I was surprised to learn that so many Israelis (including Jews) are not in favour of things like the settlements in the West Bank, how Gaza was treated, etc.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Valerie wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:25 am
Josh wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:20 am
Valerie wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:44 am Well I have met Messianic Jews in many sects of Christianity, and also the co-founder of "Jews for Jesus" who became an Orthodox Christian, than priest. He believes the Full Gospel but interprets differently than Anabaptists, who are not infallible at interpretations.
People are either Christians, or they are not. In Christ, there is neither Jew nor Greek, male nor female.

Of course, there are a lot of denominations. The ones that believe that it's OK for a Christian to pick up a gun and kill people are wrong. Anabaptists are right about this.
I would not expect an Anabaptist to see it any other way, nor do I criticize God for commanding killing- nor will I criticize Jesus and His army for the killing that will take place against evil doers. The greater good
Will you follow Jesus' example in criticizing those who have rejected the Son of God, the Messiah, the Saviour of the world?

It is good if you don't criticize the Revelation army that follows Jesus but doesn't engage in any killing of evil doers.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

This idea of a "Jesus army that kills evildoers" is a bit disturbing. Who composes this army?
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Valerie wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:54 am Clement of Alexandra, (150-215) a teacher in the early Church wrote a few things about Christian dress- quite strict ,& plain did he teach!

Regarding shoes, he said "Women should for the most part wear shoes. For it is not suitable for the foot to be shown naked. Besides, woman is a tender thing, easily hurt. But for a man, bare feet are quite in keeping, except when he is on military service."

It has been a accepted through the church age that Christian men might serve-
At any rate Jews won't agree, John the Baptist gave soldiers their requirements- whether Netanyahu is secular or not, he believes Jews have a right to this war to not be wiped off the face of the earth-
I’m not really familiar with what each of these early guys said. I am little familiar with who they were tho.
So I have two questions on this, one rhetorical, and one not.
First rhetorical: why would you/we find ourselves ignoring his opinion on bare feet for women, while latching on to his opinion about military service?
Second: Is it fair to take this as condoning military participation? Where I’m coming from is the assumption that if a man was converted while in the military, his instruction was to not harm anyone. Because he really didn’t have the freedom to quit the military.
Now if that assumption is more or less accurate, it would be much more correct to read his instruction here as a commentary on bare feet, and not on the acceptability of Christians joining the military and killing people. Right?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Let me understand this. Women need to wear some kind of footwear, but men should be barefoot, except when they're going to war.

Is that what I should understand to be established Christian doctrine?

Does the Bible ever point us to such customs for footwear (or lack thereof)?
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

RZehr wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:31 pm Second: Is it fair to take this as condoning military participation? Where I’m coming from is the assumption that if a man was converted while in the military, his instruction was to not harm anyone. Because he really didn’t have the freedom to quit the military.
Now if that assumption is more or less accurate, it would be much more correct to read his instruction here as a commentary on bare feet, and not on the acceptability of Christians joining the military and killing people. Right?
Correct. Many men in the Roman military were running errands and building roads, etc.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Ernie wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:20 pm
RZehr wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:31 pm Second: Is it fair to take this as condoning military participation? Where I’m coming from is the assumption that if a man was converted while in the military, his instruction was to not harm anyone. Because he really didn’t have the freedom to quit the military.
Correct. Many men in the Roman military were running errands and building roads, etc.
Is there any historical evidence that Roman legionaries were let off the hook from combat and allowed to assume non-combatant roles if they converted to Christianity? I have never heard or seen anything of the sort.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:46 pm Let me understand this. Women need to wear some kind of footwear, but men should be barefoot, except when they're going to war.

Is that what I should understand to be established Christian doctrine?

Does the Bible ever point us to such customs for footwear (or lack thereof)?
Is the Bible are "only" source for outward apparel as Christians or do churches have the freedom to add to Scripture on specifics?
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

RZehr wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:31 pm
Valerie wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:54 am Clement of Alexandra, (150-215) a teacher in the early Church wrote a few things about Christian dress- quite strict ,& plain did he teach!

Regarding shoes, he said "Women should for the most part wear shoes. For it is not suitable for the foot to be shown naked. Besides, woman is a tender thing, easily hurt. But for a man, bare feet are quite in keeping, except when he is on military service."

It has been a accepted through the church age that Christian men might serve-
At any rate Jews won't agree, John the Baptist gave soldiers their requirements- whether Netanyahu is secular or not, he believes Jews have a right to this war to not be wiped off the face of the earth-
I’m not really familiar with what each of these early guys said. I am little familiar with who they were tho.
So I have two questions on this, one rhetorical, and one not.
First rhetorical: why would you/we find ourselves ignoring his opinion on bare feet for women, while latching on to his opinion about military service?
Second: Is it fair to take this as condoning military participation? Where I’m coming from is the assumption that if a man was converted while in the military, his instruction was to not harm anyone. Because he really didn’t have the freedom to quit the military.
I quoted the whole quote of his. I'm sure it was part of a much longer teaching, I brought it up because Josh expects Israel to not defend itself it seems based on the interpretation of New Testament which not every Christian sect interprets the same.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

We don’t overly know the context of what he was referring to. He himself references non-resistance as well.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat