White Privilege?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: White Privilege?

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:45 pm And one even sees such sentiments expressed here on this forum.
Maybe because this isn't "immigranthardshipsforum.com".
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:57 pmIn fact locals ARE rallying to oppose that very thing. And opportunistic politicians are jumping into the fray and promising to address it. Florida just imposed limits on Chinese ownership of land that is causing waves in that state. https://www.reuters.com/legal/us-judge- ... 023-08-17/ And we have presidential candidates promising to do the same. One of Vivek Ramaswamy's campaign promises is to prohibit Chinese entities from buying American land.
I don't see what's wrong with prohibiting foreign governments from buying up land. That seems like a good thing to prevent to me.
But my example wasn't about Arizona or Florida. It was about Mennonite farm communities in Pennsylvania. Where land transfers do not, in fact, generally happen through auction. Land is tightly held within families and there is, indeed, social pressure not to sell to "outsiders".
Well, land auctions do happen all the time here in Ohio. Maybe they don't in PA? We go and attend them sometimes.

As far as who usually ends up buying the farmland - the "outsiders" you're referring to - it's usually corporate developers. If the land isn't either bought up by a wealthy farmer or other wealthy person who just wants to keep the status quo, or bought by another Mennonite family, it ends up being turned into tract houses. (For various reasons, buying and building homes in Mennonite/Amish strongholds is very desirable.)
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:45 pm Yes of course. It should be. That is true.

However immigrants also face discrimination in this country as well. And one even sees such sentiments expressed here on this forum.
If immigrants don't like it in America, they are free to go back wherever they came from. Any of us who went to another country would also face hardships and discrimination as well.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:23 pm
Ken wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:45 pm Yes of course. It should be. That is true.

However immigrants also face discrimination in this country as well. And one even sees such sentiments expressed here on this forum.
If immigrants don't like it in America, they are free to go back wherever they came from. Any of us who went to another country would also face hardships and discrimination as well.
There you have it. You make my case.

White privilege does exist to the extent that immigrants (especially non-white immigrants) face discrimination and obstacles that longtime white citizens do not.

And the same thing applies to non-immigrant populations as well such as native-born Black and Hispanic populations who face discrimination and obstacles that White people generally do not face.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:20 pm There you have it. You make my case.

White privilege does exist to the extent that immigrants (especially non-white immigrants) face discrimination and obstacles that longtime white citizens do not.

And the same thing applies to non-immigrant populations as well such as native-born Black and Hispanic populations who face discrimination and obstacles that White people generally do not face.
If America is such a terrible place, then why are so many immigrants trying to come here?
1 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:31 pm

If America is such a terrible place, then why are so many immigrants trying to come here?
Who said it was a terrible place?

This is not an either-or situation. It can be simultaneously true that America is a prosperous place and yet inequities still exist.
1 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:34 pm
Josh wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:31 pm

Who said it was a terrible place?

This is not an either-or situation. It can be simultaneously true that America is a prosperous place and yet inequities still exist.
If immigrants feel America is full of such terrible discrimination then why they are all clamouring to get in?
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Ken wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:20 pm
I think the Irish immigrants would disagree. They had a very tough time immigrating.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Robert wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:31 pm
I think the Irish immigrants would disagree. They had a very tough time immigrating.
"White" is a moving target in this country because race is a social construct (invention).

The Irish were not considered "white" when they were first immigrating to the US during the 19th Century. For that matter, neither were Italians and Jews. Even though both are considered "white" today here in the US.

From a 19th century treatise on the subject

1 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Robert wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:31 pm
Look up the Molly Macguire's. Some local history.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/