Evidence only.

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Evidence only.

Post by PeterG »

This is the thread for presenting and discussing evidence related to controversial issues. Biblical interpretation, politics, science, whatever. Just evidence—no posturing, no ad hominem attacks or other logical fallacies. If you say something, be prepared to back it up. If you don't, I may find it necessary to make myself very, very annoying. 8-) :x :geek:

I hope that this thread will become more popular than, uh, some other threads. :roll: ;)
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Re: Evidence only.

Post by lesterb »

So have you designated an official "fact checker"? :-| Or who decides when "evidence" becomes evidence?
0 x
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

Those are good questions that I don't really have answers to. In a way I don't think it really matters as long as the discussion is confined to assertions of evidence (regardless of whether or not they're accepted) instead of...other things.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

PeterG wrote:Those are good questions that I don't really have answers to. In a way I don't think it really matters as long as the discussion is confined to assertions of evidence (regardless of whether or not they're accepted) instead of...other things.
IMO it be helpful to discuss evidence if links to the article, data-set, etc are provided so that one may read it and interpret it for themselves. :D
Charts ad nauseam may become tiresome. Conversely, providing the link to the researcher's interpretation of those charts would prove more helpful to discussion.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote:IMO it be helpful to discuss evidence if links to the article, data-set, etc are provided so that one may read it and interpret it for themselves. :D
Charts ad nauseam may become tiresome. Conversely, providing the link to the researcher's interpretation of those charts would prove more helpful to discussion.
I agree. I think I try to do this, and will continue to do so. I'll try to remind you if I see you quote statistics or link to charts without providing this information, because I feel the same way.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Evidence that Demands Vertigo
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Neto wrote:Evidence that Demands Vertigo
:laugh
Good one. :up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Franklin
Affiliation: Old Testament

Post by Franklin »

There is a 100% correlation between cultural development and female premarital chastity. The evidence for this was compiled by an Oxford anthropologist here:

https://archive.org/details/b20442580

He studied all known isolated tribes and found this correlation to be perfect. Then he studied history and found that in all rising cultures in history, female premarital chastity was enforced, and that in all decaying cultures in history, female premarital chastity was not enforced.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Franklin wrote:There is a 100% correlation between cultural development and female premarital chastity. The evidence for this was compiled by an Oxford anthropologist here:

https://archive.org/details/b20442580

He studied all known isolated tribes and found this correlation to be perfect. Then he studied history and found that in all rising cultures in history, female premarital chastity was enforced, and that in all decaying cultures in history, female premarital chastity was not enforced.
interesting. i believe this was published in 1934. 710 pages? i hope to be able to enlarge enough to read ..

i will say, the world i was born into, before accessible birth control pills, was a very different culture than what quickly unfolded, after. to begin, these pills were available only to married couples, women went to their doctors for prescriptions, they were paid out of pocket.

many people had no health insurance at all .. the cost of healthcare was a fraction of today's costs. working people paid their doctor and hospitable bills out of pocket. and would not have expected anything else.

the culture was so different then, i honestly believe, if folks at that time would have known that these pills and other devices would be made freely available to the unmarried, including children, they would have been banned before they ever got started.

i appreciate how CM's put as high regard on chastity of males as females.
from what you've posted, this suggests this is relatively uncommon across cultures?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Franklin
Affiliation: Old Testament

Post by Franklin »

Most of the book is detailed case studies of each tribe which isn't that interesting but is hard evidence. Probably the most interesting part of the book is the historical part which starts on page 368 by discussing Christian marriage. And of course a study like this must be old since academia is no longer interested in truth.

People often blame birth control for modern promiscuity but in fact the same promiscuity can be found in most decaying cultures in history. They used more primitive birth control or abortion or just had children outside of marriage.

I am not aware of male chastity being part of cultures other than Christian and Muslim. There is no mention of it in the Old Testament. Most successful cultures used prostitution as a means of allowing male promiscuity while preserving female chastity.
0 x