Common Christian practices that are not taught in scripture

General Christian Theology
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: Common Christian practices that are not taught in scripture

Post by ken_sylvania »

Sudsy wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:31 pm If D&R is a state of perpetual adultery then so is not being baptised by immersion living in a state of perpetual disobedience.
I would consider refusal to be baptized to be a state of perpetual disobedience, if that's your question.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

MaxPC wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:54 am The use of grape juice instead of fermented wine. The Greek word used in the New Testament is oinos, i.e. fermented wine.
This reminds me of others related - crackers or bread that is not unleavened for communion.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

ken_sylvania wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:09 am
Sudsy wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:31 pm If D&R is a state of perpetual adultery then so is not being baptised by immersion living in a state of perpetual disobedience.
I would consider refusal to be baptized to be a state of perpetual disobedience, if that's your question.
Refusal to be baptized?

or refusal to be baptized a second or third or fourth time by a different church using a different method of baptism?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ken wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:17 pm
Refusal to be baptized?

or refusal to be baptized a second or third or fourth time by a different church using a different method of baptism?
Refusal to be baptized, just like I said. Paul says we shouldn't keep going back and starting over.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Refusal to be baptized?

Refusal to be baptised in whatever manner the supplicant thinks is the proper way to do so.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

ken_sylvania wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:57 pm
Refusal to be baptized?

Refusal to be baptized, just like I said. Paul says we shouldn't keep going back and starting over.
The question wasn't about refusal to be baptized period. It was about someone who was in fact baptized but not by immersion. Are they living in a state of perpetual sin unless they get rebaptized in a church that does it differently?
Last edited by Ken on Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:07 pm The question wasn't about refusal to be baptized period. It was about someone who was in fact baptized but not by immersion.
Then I would say that depends on (a) the beliefs of the supplicant about what "baptism" is, and (b) the stated practice and belief of the body of believers that the supplicant wishes to be a part of and be recognised by.

I personally think a Jesus-only baptism is fine. But I couldn't be part of a Catholic church with a Jesus-only baptism, for example.
1 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:09 pmThen I would say that depends on (a) the beliefs of the supplicant about what "baptism" is, and (b) the stated practice and belief of the body of believers that the supplicant wishes to be a part of and be recognised by.
Does your opinion that God's commandments depend on:
  • "(a) the belief of the supplicant, and (b) the stated practice and belief of the body of believers"
apply generally? Or is this a specific exception that you apply only to baptism?

And if so, what are your criteria for determining when this sort of flexibility applies and when it does not?
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Show me where in Scripture we are told its sinful to be baptized the wrong way.

Baptism was never commanded to be an exact mode.

Remarriage if acceptable at all was under a specific clause. Clearly Paul calls it sinful and I believe that’s good enough to clarify any situation outside of that exception clause if its real.
The two are not comparable.
Show me any other sin in Scripture that “will not inherit the kingdom of God” that you can remain as you are without changing.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:17 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:09 pmThen I would say that depends on (a) the beliefs of the supplicant about what "baptism" is, and (b) the stated practice and belief of the body of believers that the supplicant wishes to be a part of and be recognised by.
Does your opinion that God's commandments depend on:
  • "(a) the belief of the supplicant, and (b) the stated practice and belief of the body of believers"
apply generally? Or is this a specific exception that you apply only to baptism?

And if so, what are your criteria for determining when this sort of flexibility applies and when it does not?
No, of course that doesn’t change the truth.

But I also don’t expect everyone to try to live up to my own convictions and what I feel is correct. Instead people must reach their own conclusions and convictions. I personally lean on my church to help provide discernment in many areas.

I would invite others to do so as well but first they must be convicted to rely on the church’s authority in the first place.
0 x