Common Christian practices that are not taught in scripture

General Christian Theology
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Common Christian practices that are not taught in scripture

Post by RZehr »

Josh wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:37 pm
RZehr wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:17 pm In that time, it required a divorce to break an engagement/betrothal. If a fiancé commuted fornication with someone, it was allowed to break the engagement, and not follow through with the marriage. Today this is still practice in Orthodox Jewish communities and also conservative Muslim communities - needing to get a divorce to break an engagement and be free to marry someone else.
This concept isn’t taught in the New Testament, either, despite some how claim so. The text says zip all about betrothals etc., but rather says “Whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality”… it does not say “fiancée”.
Lots of things of the day are not described in detail. It wasn’t necessary. Because the people understood how their society operated.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:17 pm
RZehr wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:17 pm In that time, it required a divorce to break an engagement/betrothal. If a fiancé commuted fornication with someone, it was allowed to break the engagement, and not follow through with the marriage. Today this is still practice in Orthodox Jewish communities and also conservative Muslim communities - needing to get a divorce to break an engagement and be free to marry someone else.
This concept isn’t taught in the New Testament, either, despite some how claim so. The text says zip all about betrothals etc., but rather says “Whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality”… it does not say “fiancée”.
Lots of things of the day are not described in detail. It wasn’t necessary. Because the people understood how their society operated.
So what you are saying is that we can't simply rely on the plain language of the Bible. We have to rely on the cultural and historical context in which it was written as well?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

mike wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:37 pm
Ken wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:40 pm And that churches are of mixed opinion as to whether divorce and remarriage constitutes adultery since the scriptures are somewhat inconsistent on that point. And consequently, different churches have taken different positions on that subject.
Different churches take different positions on many issues. This does mean all positions are equally valid.
Yes. And the mixed opinions on many issues have only happened in the last century. For many hundreds of years, the same position that the early church had was the same position as most churches.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ernie wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:26 pm
Ken wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:40 pm And that churches are of mixed opinion as to whether divorce and remarriage constitutes adultery since the scriptures are somewhat inconsistent on that point. And consequently, different churches have taken different positions on that subject.
Different churches take different positions on many issues. This does mean all positions are equally valid.
Yes. And the mixed opinions on many issues have only happened in the last century. For many hundreds of years, the same position that the early church had was the same position as most churches.
Maybe on divorce. Although I'm not sure that so many churches have really changed their view of divorce so much as just decided to tolerate it.

But we have had many centuries of religious wars over issues large and small so I'm not sure that religious unanimity in general has ever really existed. And I'm sure the early church also has many doctrinal fights even if many of them have been lost to history. The winners tend to write history, not the losers.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Ken wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:50 pm
Maybe on divorce. Although I'm not sure that so many churches have really changed their view of divorce so much as just decided to tolerate it.

But we have had many centuries of religious wars over issues large and small so I'm not sure that religious unanimity in general has ever really existed. And I'm sure the early church also has many doctrinal fights even if many of them have been lost to history. The winners tend to write history, not the losers.
Other practices/expectations that have been dropped by many churches in the last century are: men only clergy, getting married (rather than just shacking up), heterosexual unions only, families praying together, covering most of one's body in public, head-covering for women, men removing headgear for prayer or worship, chants and hymns for worship, etc.

Some practices that were dropped longer ago by many churches are, abstinence from violence, acapella singing in church, lifting hands in worship, segregated seating, etc.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ernie wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:36 pm
Ken wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:50 pm

Other practices/expectations that have been dropped by many churches in the last century are: men only clergy, getting married (rather than just shacking up), heterosexual unions only, families praying together, covering most of one's body in public, head-covering for women, men removing headgear for prayer or worship, chants and hymns for worship, etc.

Some practices that were dropped longer ago by many churches are, abstinence from violence, acapella singing in church, lifting hands in worship, segregated seating, etc.
How many of those things you say are being dropped by modern churches were actually taught in scripture? acapella singing? segregated seating?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

RZehr wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:17 pm
But to get back on topic, this would be a "practice[s] that are not taught scripture".
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

ken_sylvania wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:39 pm
Sudsy wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:27 pm
mike wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:55 pm

Yes, I understand that. And of course you have plenty of company in that view. Still, in keeping with the thread topic, that idea is not taught in (New Testament) scripture.
And I disagree in that New Testament scripture tells me that God forgives and forgets all sin and since He does, all, to me, means all, including divorce and remarriage. To me, it is a matter of how we understand what is taught in the scripture.
Where in the New Testament do you read that God forgets all sin?
https://www.gotquestions.org/does-God-forget.html
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

If D&R is a state of perpetual adultery then so is not being baptised by immersion living in a state of perpetual disobedience. What if God says, at judgment day, why did you not follow the NT practise of water baptism as it originally was performed and you never even asked for forgiveness for changing the practise ?

I am in no way promoting D&R as this is not God's original intent yet to believe this puts anyone in a state of perpetual adultery I believe is incorrect. I am very grateful for the mercy of God and am trusting His mercy will endure forever.

Others can believe what they chose and this is my last post regarding this topic.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

The use of grape juice instead of fermented wine. The Greek word used in the New Testament is oinos, i.e. fermented wine.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God