War in Gaza

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: War in Gaza

Post by Robert »

Interesting perspective.

0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I would be rather surprised if George Soros were paying anyone to engage in anti-Israeli protesting, given that Soros has a long history of promoting pro-Israeli policy. I guess I could see him conducting a “false flag”?
0 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

This piece from Politico suggest it's a complicated morass of interests and donors.
1 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

For anyone with the time, this is a really good piece on the moral dilemmas in this war and just how hard it is to do anything right. There's an auto-generated transcript on the Youtube version.

Benjamin Wittes on Israel, Gaza, and Implications for U.S. Foreign and Domestic Policy
On April 24, Lawfare Editor-in-Chief Benjamin Wittes delivered a Watson Distinguished Lecture at the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs at Brown University to discuss the Israel-Gaza war and the implications for U.S. foreign and domestic policy. He talked about Israel’s incompatible objectives of freeing hostages and eradicating Hamas, the moral context of the war, U.S.-Israeli relations in this context, what the U.S. and Israel still have in common—and what they no longer have in common—in this environment, and how the war could affect U.S. presidential elections.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Robert wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:48 am
RZehr wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:06 am
Ernie wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:22 pm Has there ever been a war in which a major country has supplied military aid to a country that is going after a common enemy (and destroying a lot of infrastructure and many civilians in the process), while at the same time offering aid to surviving civilians of that state? (on a scale like we currently see in Gaza)
America loves doing that. Iraq, Afghanistan. “Hearts and minds.”
It is called the Three Block something or other. The first block is the fighting, The next block is the securing the infrastructure and the third block is humanitarian, if I am remembering it right. The US military used this in all the recent conflicts.
but on the same scale as Gaza?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:04 pm
Robert wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:48 am
RZehr wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:06 am
America loves doing that. Iraq, Afghanistan. “Hearts and minds.”
It is called the Three Block something or other. The first block is the fighting, The next block is the securing the infrastructure and the third block is humanitarian, if I am remembering it right. The US military used this in all the recent conflicts.
but on the same scale as Gaza?
The operation in Iraq was much larger scale. Of course, it didn’t work in the long run.
1 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:15 pm
Ernie wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:04 pm but on the same scale as Gaza?
The operation in Iraq was much larger scale. Of course, it didn’t work in the long run.
How are you measuring scale?
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

News is reporting that Hamas has accepted a ceasefire proposal: https://apnews.com/article/israel-pales ... 4aa4be53e0

And that Israel and Netanyahu are the obstacles and announcing their rejection of a ceasefire.

I'm curious to see if international pressure and US pressure will lead Israel to reconsider. I think at this point Netanyahu believes that continued war is in his political interest. So we will probably get more war in the service of Netanyahu's political career.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:19 am Interesting perspective.

Any evidence that this is true? Something we can look at? He makes a lot of very concrete claims. Should be easy to show the proof if they are true. He says he actually looked at the evidence.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:49 am This piece from Politico suggest it's a complicated morass of interests and donors.
It’s a political minefield for biden. i doubt morality has anything to do with it.
i’m off-put by his attempts to insert the U.S. as THE DEFINING AUTHORITY in this (and every world conflict).

biden wants to be seen as the big hero, much as W did in Iraq. for politics.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN