War in Gaza

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: War in Gaza

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:50 pm Is the Bible are "only" source for outward apparel as Christians or do churches have the freedom to add to Scripture on specifics?
Churches don't have freedom to change "Thou shalt not kill" into "Thou shalt kill".
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:20 pm
Valerie wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:50 pm Is the Bible are "only" source for outward apparel as Christians or do churches have the freedom to add to Scripture on specifics?
Churches don't have freedom to change "Thou shalt not kill" into "Thou shalt kill".
You do realize after that commandment, God's people "killed" as per their heavenly Father's instructions. Murder was what the commandment was against. But please answer my question as it was in regards to the quote that was criticized as not Biblical for conveying foot apparel.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Valerie wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:54 am Regarding shoes, he said "Women should for the most part wear shoes. For it is not suitable for the foot to be shown naked. Besides, woman is a tender thing, easily hurt. But for a man, bare feet are quite in keeping, except when he is on military service."
Jesus wore sandals (John 1:27), as did Peter (Acts 12:8) and the other disciples (Mark 6:9). Then again, they were in military service (Eph. 6:15). And we are also commanded to kill (Col. 3:5).
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

From the OP
Ernie wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:31 pm Please keep partisan comments/debates out of this thread - avoid comments that reflect negatively on either right-leaning or left leaning political persuasions. Please keep this thread focused on the topic.
It looks like a number of posters have not read the OP lately.
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Ernie wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:43 pm From the OP
Ernie wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:31 pm Please keep partisan comments/debates out of this thread - avoid comments that reflect negatively on either right-leaning or left leaning political persuasions. Please keep this thread focused on the topic.
Which comments or topics are you referring to?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ken wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:12 pm
I would say "if the shoe fits, wear it" but Valerie seems to think we shouldn't. Not sure how we got on that subject, but the bunny trails sometimes have a slipper-y slope.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

The perspective Valerie has is not an uncommon one, and to be frank, it is one that I keep hearing from various evangelical sorts of people. They speak as if the Bible actually condones anything the present-day State of Israel wants to do when it goes to war. I find this approach to scripture troubling, but it is what it is.
1 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

ohio jones wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:26 pm
Ken wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:12 pm

I would say "if the shoe fits, wear it" but Valerie seems to think we shouldn't. Not sure how we got on that subject, but the bunny trails sometimes have a slipper-y slope.
It was a bunny trail started at the assumption Israel isn't supposed to defend itself per the teachings of Jesus. I simply was defending Israel which is not "partisan" but historical in their position against opposition. The quote I provided by an early Church teacher really wasn't to point out shoes or lack thereof. I do not know about the audience of Christians he was teaching and in what context. I'm merely trying to convey why Jews would not look at the war on Gaza like an Anabaptist
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:28 pm The perspective Valerie has is not an uncommon one, and to be frank, it is one that I keep hearing from various evangelical sorts of people. They speak as if the Bible actually condones anything the present-day State of Israel wants to do when it goes to war. I find this approach to scripture troubling, but it is what it is.
It's trying to understand the mindset of the Jewish people. I truly am not "evangelically" influenced about this. It seems blatantly clear from studying the OT for decades, and realizing Jews are who they are, and are not Anabaptist in thinking nor are they NT people. War has always been in their long history. So has being attacked.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Here is an interesting quote made by Origen in 248. " Christians could not slay their enemies. Nor could they condemn those who had broken the Law to be burned or stoned, as Moses commands.....However, in the case of the ancient Jews, who had a land and a form of government of their own, to take from them the right of making war upon their enemies, of fighting for their country, of putting to death or otherwise punishing adulterers, murderers, or others who were guilty of similar crimes, would have been to subject them to sudden and utter destruction whenever the enemy fell upon them."

Okay- as a Christian, he "gets it".

To understand the war on Gaza is to understand ancient history and the mindset of Jews and Muslims. You have to think outside an Anabaptist box to understand this war.

Actually, a very insightful former Amish man gave me an article he wrote quite awhile ago something like "Two Nations, One Womb" speaking into this history. No he left for Charity Churches not Evangelical, he has passed away. I need to hunt down that article.
Last edited by Valerie on Tue May 21, 2024 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x