War in Gaza

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: War in Gaza

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:38 pm
Josh wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:36 pm Many people view the Israeli government's actions over the past few decades as also being terrorism. So we have two terrorists fighting each other, Hamas, and the IDF. That's a bad situation. Neither side is justified.
What are the acts of "terrorism" Israel is being accused of last couple decades? Where are you getting your news?
Israel IS justified for defending themselves, Jews have been threatened to be anialated in the past, too bad October 7 happened, it started a just war- unless you feel the threats of ridding the world of Jews should happen with no defense. Because that was the cry October ,7 and on college campuses across the U. S.
Driving bulldozer's through people's homes is not "defending themselves".
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 7:42 pm
Valerie wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:38 pm
Josh wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:36 pm Many people view the Israeli government's actions over the past few decades as also being terrorism. So we have two terrorists fighting each other, Hamas, and the IDF. That's a bad situation. Neither side is justified.
What are the acts of "terrorism" Israel is being accused of last couple decades? Where are you getting your news?
Israel IS justified for defending themselves, Jews have been threatened to be anialated in the past, too bad October 7 happened, it started a just war- unless you feel the threats of ridding the world of Jews should happen with no defense. Because that was the cry October ,7 and on college campuses across the U. S.
Driving bulldozer's through people's homes is not "defending themselves".
Hamas is to blame. They embedded themselves among the civilians, they are to blame and there are many lies being told as well. Hamas started this and purposely put people in harms way. Blame Hamas. Israel is not a terrorist organization.

In their OT history, perhaps they may have been seen that way when God told them to kill every man, woman and child in cities they were conquering but that was God's command to do so. From their point of view, they are still the "elect" and do not follow Jesus teachings-
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 7:46 pm Hamas is to blame. They embedded themselves among the civilians, they are to blame and there are many lies being told as well. Hamas started this and purposely put people in harms way. Blame Hamas. Israel is not a terrorist organization.
Israel has been bulldozing Palestinian homes since before Hamas existed.
In their OT history, perhaps they may have been seen that way when God told them to kill every man, woman and child in cities they were conquering but that was God's command to do so. From their point of view, they are still the "elect" and do not follow Jesus teachings-
That doesn't change the fact that it's wrong to drop bombs on churches. It's wrong to shoot Danish cooks and aid workers. I don't know how this is even controversial.
1 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:10 pm
Valerie wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 7:46 pm Hamas is to blame. They embedded themselves among the civilians, they are to blame and there are many lies being told as well. Hamas started this and purposely put people in harms way. Blame Hamas. Israel is not a terrorist organization.
Israel has been bulldozing Palestinian homes since before Hamas existed.
That doesn't change the fact that it's wrong to drop bombs on churches. It's wrong to shoot Danish cooks and aid workers. I don't know how this is even controversial.
From the very beginning you were more critical of Israel than Hamas. So are the muslims, so are the protesters across America being paid by George Soros. This is war. Hamas was horribly brutal to do what they did and still do. It's so strange your continued position that seems to ignore the fact that Israel was threatened to be completely destroyed, all Jews. I don't think this attempt will succeed.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Valerie wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:08 pm From the very beginning you were more critical of Israel than Hamas. So are the muslims, so are the protesters across America being paid by George Soros. This is war. Hamas was horribly brutal to do what they did and still do. It's so strange your continued position that seems to ignore the fact that Israel was threatened to be completely destroyed, all Jews. I don't think this attempt will succeed.
There’s always a mismatch when arguments are made, “they behaved badly, so deserve violence.”
That’s not Jesus’ message. Even when the one attacked is wealthy, more powerful.

Separately, when i was very young, i remember adults who had experienced WWII lamenting, “Why did Jews allow themselves to be murdered en masse?” There was a lot of pain over this. Pictures seemed to portray large numbers being egregiously persecuted, why not rebel?

Today Jews are criticized for being prepared and willing to defend themselves.

The U.S. overall mentality goes for underdogs. That’s predictable. 1) Is it always correct? 2) Can it be exploited?

i found Robert’s recent post “food for thought”:
temporal1 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:43 am
Robert wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:22 am Image
Thanks for adding this.
“Weak makes right?” - As i witness the response to Israel-Gaza, i’ve had this very question.

Not Jesus’ teaching.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

mike wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:02 pm I don't believe there is equivalence between Israel and Hamas. The president has been routinely accused of being too hard on Israel in the current conflict, but today he came out strongly against the idea that Israeli leaders are terrorists who should be tried for crimes, something the ICC apparently has called for.
*** wrote:The Biden administration on Monday forcefully denounced efforts by the International Criminal Court to seek arrest warrants for top Israeli officials and Hamas leaders, saying the court’s efforts put the terrorist organization and a top US ally on equivalent footing.

ICC prosecutor Karim Khan told ***'s Christiane Amanpour in an exclusive interview on Monday that the international tribunal is seeking arrest warrants for officials including Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar on charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity for their respective roles in the October 7 attack on Israel and the subsequent war that has left tens of thousands of Palestinians dead.

The prosecution team is also seeking warrants for Israel’s Defense Minister, Yoav Gallant, along with top Hamas leaders, Khan said.

In a statement on Monday, Biden called the ICC’s efforts “outrageous.”

“Let me be clear,” the president said in the statement, “whatever this prosecutor might imply, there is no equivalence – none – between Israel and Hamas.”
i was surprised to read this, or something like it, from biden. he can be confusing, the way he “politics.”
will he say the opposite tomorrow?
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:52 am I have not dug to find out if everything is factual, but I know some of this is.

i hope this isn’t overlooked.
he makes several points i’ve read about, and others i haven’t.
enough to question prevailing msm narratives.
2 x

UNKNOWN
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

temporal1 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:55 pm
Valerie wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:08 pm From the very beginning you were more critical of Israel than Hamas. So are the muslims, so are the protesters across America being paid by George Soros. This is war. Hamas was horribly brutal to do what they did and still do. It's so strange your continued position that seems to ignore the fact that Israel was threatened to be completely destroyed, all Jews. I don't think this attempt will succeed.
There’s always a mismatch when arguments are made, “they behaved badly, so deserve violence.”
That’s not Jesus’ message. Even when the one attacked is wealthy, more powerful.

Separately, when i was very young, i remember adults who had experienced WWII lamenting, “Why did Jews allow themselves to be murdered en masse?” There was a lot of pain over this. Pictures seemed to portray large numbers being egregiously persecuted, why not rebel?

Today Jews are criticized for being prepared and willing to defend themselves.

The U.S. overall mentality goes for underdogs. That’s predictable. 1) Is it always correct? 2) Can it be exploited?

i found Robert’s recent post “food for thought”:
temporal1 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:43 am
Robert wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:22 am Image
Thanks for adding this.
“Weak makes right?” - As i witness the response to Israel-Gaza, i’ve had this very question.

Not Jesus’ teaching.
Jews do not read Jesus teaching. They did not receive Him as the Messiah therefore they are still Old Testament, believe they are still His "elect" chosen. They will defend themselves because they follow the Old Testament and not the New. They won't look at this through New Testament lens. In Old testament, Jews were taught to kill, go to war, that they belong on the promised land given to them by God, etc so it wouldn't be realistic to expect them to sit and let themselves be destroyed (which was the threat, IS the threat being chanted)
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Valerie wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:29 pm Jews do not read Jesus teaching. They did not receive Him as the Messiah therefore they are still Old Testament, believe they are still His "elect" chosen. They will defend themselves because they follow the Old Testament and not the New. They won't look at this gs through New Testament lens. In d testament, Jews were taught to kill, go to war, that they belong on the promised land given to them by God, etc so it wouldn't be realistic to expect them to sit and let themselves be destroyed (which was the threat, IS the threat being changed)
Is it your opinion, then, that because the Jews have rejected Jesus as the Messiah that therefore God will give them a pass on their behavior?
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

ken_sylvania wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:46 pm
Valerie wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:29 pm Jews do not read Jesus teaching. They did not receive Him as the Messiah therefore they are still Old Testament, believe they are still His "elect" chosen. They will defend themselves because they follow the Old Testament and not the New. They won't look at this gs through New Testament lens. In d testament, Jews were taught to kill, go to war, that they belong on the promised land given to them by God, etc so it wouldn't be realistic to expect them to sit and let themselves be destroyed (which was the threat, IS the threat being changed)
Is it your opinion, then, that because the Jews have rejected Jesus as the Messiah that therefore God will give them a pass on their behavior?
No. But God is not against war. He may not like it, but He has called for it, and then there is Revelations. I do believe He is not for Islam, terrorism, nor supportive of what Hamas did.
0 x