War in Gaza

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: War in Gaza

Post by temporal1 »

Terrorists don’t rely on numbers+might, they use stealth, surprise, ambush+execute the vulnerable and defenseless.
There’s no moral equivalency. Whether one lone wolf or an organized group.

Hamas dedicated YEARS of preparation, building tunnels, embedding themselves into soft targets, hospitals, etc.,
before poking the bear. It was cold-blooded and deliberate. Terrorism is cold-blooded and deliberate.

Hamas needs to release the hostages, dead+alive, and surrender. imho

Israel isn’t the only country at risk of attacks by terrorists. It’s always bad. That’s the goal. To be as bad-destructive-harmful as possible.

Christians work+pray for converted hearts+minds. Everywhere. 2 Peter 3:9
https://biblehub.com/2_peter/3-9.htm
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

temporal1 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:27 pm Terrorists don’t rely on numbers+might, they use stealth, surprise, ambush+execute the vulnerable and defenseless.
There’s no moral equivalency. Whether one lone wolf or an organized group.

Hamas dedicated YEARS of preparation, building tunnels, embedding themselves into soft targets, hospitals, etc.,
before poking the bear. It was cold-blooded and deliberate. Terrorism is cold-blooded and deliberate.

Hamas needs to release the hostages, dead+alive, and surrender. imho

Israel isn’t the only country at risk of attacks by terrorists. It’s always bad. That’s the goal. To be as bad-destructive-harmful as possible.

Christians work+pray for converted hearts+minds. Everywhere. 2 Peter 3:9
https://biblehub.com/2_peter/3-9.htm
None of what you have said makes it a good idea to bomb the only churches left in Gaza, to kill babies and children, or to hunt down Danish cooks, and when they flee the truck you just bombed, to aggressively pursue them and fire upon them again to make sure they're all dead.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:32 pm None of what you have said makes it a good idea to bomb the only churches left in Gaza, to kill babies and children, or to hunt down Danish cooks, and when they flee the truck you just bombed, to aggressively pursue them and fire upon them again to make sure they're all dead.
i don’t find any of this in what i’ve posted nor in what anyone else on forum has posted.

altho i often agree with your views, on this, your reasoning reminds of those who believe “if you don’t hate DJT, you must love him, worship him, bow to him, etc.” i don’t follow that math. i don’t believe you usually do, either.

i’ve been loathing war since before you were born. i’m pretty sure i know how to do it. :)
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh

Post by Josh »

Many people view the Israeli government's actions over the past few decades as also being terrorism. So we have two terrorists fighting each other, Hamas, and the IDF. That's a bad situation. Neither side is justified.
1 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Josh wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:36 pm Many people view the Israeli government's actions over the past few decades as also being terrorism. So we have two terrorists fighting each other, Hamas, and the IDF. That's a bad situation. Neither side is justified.
I am not one of those many. I think this is a great distortion of the facts. The IDF are not holy warriors, but they are nothing like Hamas. View the images from 10/7. The raping and INTENTIONAL targeting of civilians.

Israel is forced to have a large standing army because they are in a very hostile area. Many want to get rid of Israel solely because they are Jewish and not Muslim. Of course, these same Muslims want to get rid of some other Muslims because they are not the right kind of Muslims. This group is the ones causing most of the problems. Blaming the victim because they defend themselves is not a very sensible thing to do.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

I have not dug to find out if everything is factual, but I know some of this is.

1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Robert wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:29 am
Josh wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:36 pm Many people view the Israeli government's actions over the past few decades as also being terrorism. So we have two terrorists fighting each other, Hamas, and the IDF. That's a bad situation. Neither side is justified.
I am not one of those many. I think this is a great distortion of the facts. The IDF are not holy warriors, but they are nothing like Hamas. View the images from 10/7. The raping and INTENTIONAL targeting of civilians.

Israel is forced to have a large standing army because they are in a very hostile area. Many want to get rid of Israel solely because they are Jewish and not Muslim. Of course, these same Muslims want to get rid of some other Muslims because they are not the right kind of Muslims. This group is the ones causing most of the problems. Blaming the victim because they defend themselves is not a very sensible thing to do.
What the IDF has done since 1948 is to force people out of their homes and land; burn down their olive groves; literally drive bulldozers over homes their families have lived in for generations. Many people consider this terrorism.

After being forced out of their homes, or the property they have owned for generations suddenly being owned by the government, which then sells it to a private developer, and expects them to pay steep rents for their own homes... they then strip them of rights of basic citizenship and turn the places they live into the world's largest open-air prison.

These things are very wrong, just like what Hamas did is wrong.

I generally have a dim view of many of the militaries of nations around the world. America's own military has engaged in a great deal of terrorism itself.
1 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

I don't believe there is equivalence between Israel and Hamas. The president has been routinely accused of being too hard on Israel in the current conflict, but today he came out strongly against the idea that Israeli leaders are terrorists who should be tried for crimes, something the ICC apparently has called for.
*** wrote:The Biden administration on Monday forcefully denounced efforts by the International Criminal Court to seek arrest warrants for top Israeli officials and Hamas leaders, saying the court’s efforts put the terrorist organization and a top US ally on equivalent footing.

ICC prosecutor Karim Khan told ***'s Christiane Amanpour in an exclusive interview on Monday that the international tribunal is seeking arrest warrants for officials including Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar on charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity for their respective roles in the October 7 attack on Israel and the subsequent war that has left tens of thousands of Palestinians dead.

The prosecution team is also seeking warrants for Israel’s Defense Minister, Yoav Gallant, along with top Hamas leaders, Khan said.

In a statement on Monday, Biden called the ICC’s efforts “outrageous.”

“Let me be clear,” the president said in the statement, “whatever this prosecutor might imply, there is no equivalence – none – between Israel and Hamas.”
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh

Post by Josh »

There isn't an equivalence between "Israel" and "Hamas". But there certainly is an equivalence between "Hamas" and the current coalition party, which includes political parties that call for the extermination of Arabs and have anti-Arabism as one of their founding political planks.

Likewise, Netanyahu certainly has culpability for creating the situation that exists now.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

What are the acts of "terrorism" Israel is being accused of last couple decades? Where are you getting your news?
Israel IS justified for defending themselves, Jews have been threatened to be anialated in the past, too bad October 7 happened, it started a just war- unless you feel the threats of ridding the world of Jews should happen with no defense. Because that was the cry October ,7 and on college campuses across the U. S.
0 x