Can Anabaptism be Catholic and vice versa?

General Christian Theology
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: Can Anabaptism be Catholic and vice versa?

Post by ken_sylvania »

Falco Knotwise wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:49 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:46 pm
Falco Knotwise wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:42 pm

Why does he need you to stick up for him? Besides I asked him nicely, I didn’t demand anything like a moderator. He’s just being an ass like all three of you always are.
Thank you for your kind words.
Thank you for ganging up on me with your two butt-buddies.
I do believe you would tear out my tongue and burn me in the fire if you had a chance, wouldn't you?
0 x
Falco Knotwise
Affiliation: Roman Catholic

Post by Falco Knotwise »

ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:07 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:46 pm
Thank you for your kind words.
I do believe you would tear out my tongue and burn me in the fire if you had a chance, wouldn't you?
No. You’re just an annoying dude on the internet.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Soloist wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:40 pm
Valerie wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:37 pm
Soloist wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:08 pm

Okay, I propose you provide some pro infant baptism quotes in the first 200 years of Christianity in context to show that contextually, they are speaking of infant baptism.
Here's one:

Irenaeus of Lyons (130‒202 A.D.), a disciple of Polycarp, clearly includes infants among those fit for baptism when he says, “For He [Jesus] came to save all through means of Himself – all, I say, who through Him are born again to God [renascuntur in Deum, i.e. baptized] – infants, and children, and boys, and youths, ...

It renaeis was taught by Polycarp, who was a disciple of Apostle John.
Post the context please
You may look up his writings & read them. In David Bercots book, he just put quotes in topics- he had quotes under "the question of infant baptism" in the Baptism section. Of course he was Anglican then he probably would omit it now.

You just asked for one prior to 200.
Last edited by Valerie on Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Falco Knotwise wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:42 pm He’s just being an ass like all three of you always are.
With such brilliant arguments, the rest of us might as well immediately concede to your superior spiritual understanding and discernment.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

'Gentlemen', what about turning the other cheek ? Perhaps testing out the scripture that a soft answer turneth away wrath ? Is this a good representation of an Anabaptist response ? Someone needs to take the lead in turning the other cheek. Isn't Anabaptism to be leading the way, so to speak, amongst Christian faith groups in it's practise to not strike back ?

If I'm mis-understanding the Anabaptist ways of dealing with conflict, please enlighten me. Thankyou.
2 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Valerie wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:08 pm

You may look up his writings & read them. In David Bercots book, he just put quotes in topics- he had quotes under "the question of infant baptism" in the Baptism section. Of course he was Anglican then he probably would omit it now.

You just asked for one prior to 200.
specifically, I asked for 1 with context.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Sudsy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:21 pm 'Gentlemen', what about turning the other cheek ? Perhaps testing out the scripture that a soft answer turneth away wrath ? Is this a good representation of an Anabaptist response ? Someone needs to take the lead in turning the other cheek. Isn't Anabaptism to be leading the way, so to speak, amongst Christian faith groups in it's practise to not strike back ?

If I'm mis-understanding the Anabaptist ways of dealing with conflict, please enlighten me. Thankyou.
In some cases, like this one, “turning the other cheek “ is permitting heresy to be communicated in our presence. Would you have preferred people like Conrad Grebel or Felix Manz to “turn the other cheek “ to avoid conflict? It is my sincere conviction that some of the people who come here do so to find people who are weak or uncertain to engage and lead off into error.

Therefore, error must be answered. Roman Catholicism is the chief error of our time.
0 x
:hug:
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:03 pm
Sudsy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:21 pm 'Gentlemen', what about turning the other cheek ? Perhaps testing out the scripture that a soft answer turneth away wrath ? Is this a good representation of an Anabaptist response ? Someone needs to take the lead in turning the other cheek. Isn't Anabaptism to be leading the way, so to speak, amongst Christian faith groups in it's practise to not strike back ?

In some cases, like this one, “turning the other cheek “ is permitting heresy to be communicated in our presence. Would you have preferred people like Conrad Grebel or Felix Manz to “turn the other cheek “ to avoid conflict? It is my sincere conviction that some of the people who come here do so to find people who are weak or uncertain to engage and lead off into error.

Therefore, error must be answered. Roman Catholicism is the chief error of our time.
I have no issue with stating what one believes to be truth in scripture but I also believe it can be done without taking personal shots at one another or another's beliefs. In other words, allow one's beliefs to be expressed and stand on their own and trust God to open the minds of the readers that need to think differently. This is an open forum where perceived heresies will be expressed and are allowed. For example, your last sentence above, would not invite me to read your posts any further, if I was an RC. Just saying I believe the old saying holds true that “you get more flies with honey than with vinegar”.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Sudsy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:24 pm
I have no issue with stating what one believes to be truth in scripture but I also believe it can be done without taking personal shots at one another or another's beliefs. In other words, allow one's beliefs to be expressed and stand on their own and trust God to open the minds of the readers that need to think differently. This is an open forum where perceived heresies will be expressed and are allowed. For example, your last sentence above, would not invite me to read your posts any further, if I was an RC. Just saying I believe the old saying holds true that “you get more flies with honey than with vinegar”.
Indeed and amen, Sudsy.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Sudsy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:24 pm

I think we need to point out the error, explain why it is an error and correct it. You can’t correct error without that. Ever read the accounts of our early history? Dr. Hubmaier particularly impresses me. This guy is here to discredit our faith…. His position is that we descended from people that were political rebels, refused to pay taxes and plagerized a monk that I had never heard of, and is nowhere in our literature. To let that stand unchallenged is irresponsible to those we have responsibility for.
0 x
:hug: