Trump on abortion restrictions: "a terrible thing", "a terrible mistake"

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Trump on abortion restrictions: "a terrible thing", "a terrible mistake"

Post by Bootstrap »

Valerie wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:25 pm Because of him & his appointment of 2 conservative judges; finally a 50 year wrong was made right.
I agree with that.

Now it's up to the states.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Grace wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:02 pm I interpreted the context as Trump warning that is a terrible mistake for Republican candidates to promote flat-out abortion bans without exceptions.

Even the liberal news outlet Mediaite claimed that as well. First sentence in the article.
But if you read the entire article, and not just the first sentence, you see him talking about how many weeks, and winning, and political considerations. And saying that Republicans are not going to win if they don't adapt to public opinion.
Trump wrote:I think the Republicans speak very inarticulately about this subject. I watch some of them without the exceptions, et cetera, et cetera. I said, ‘Other than certain parts of the country, you can’t — you’re not going to win on this issue. But you will win on this issue when you come up with the right number of weeks.’ Because Democrats don’t want to be radical on the issue, most of them, some do. They don’t want to be radical on the issue. They don’t want to kill a baby in the seventh month or the ninth month or after birth. And they’re allowed to do that, and you can’t do that.
And you see the same thing if you read his statements in context in the transcript I provided or by watching the interview.
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Post by Sliceitup »

Robert wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:52 am
Bootstrap wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:32 am Donald Trump Tests Pro-Life America
On Sunday, Donald Trump sent shock waves through the Republican primary when an interview with NBC’s Kristen Welker on “Meet the Press” aired in which he said that Ron DeSantis did a “terrible thing” and made a “terrible mistake” when he signed Florida’s six-week abortion ban. It’s the kind of statement that could end virtually any other Republican presidential campaign. Opposition to abortion rights, after all, is every bit as fundamental to Republican identity as support for abortion rights is to Democratic identity. Breaking with the party on that issue is the kind of heresy that no national politician can survive.

Or is it? When it comes to Republican identity, is support for Trump, the person, now more central than any other issue, including abortion?
Taken out of context from the comment in the interview. For a person who does research, you seem to continue to find anything that you can attack with, even if it is a distorted opinion piece.

If I kept falling into this trap, I would start to doubt my sources and seek new ones.
What do you think that the proper context was for his remarks?
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Bootstrap wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:51 pm But if you read the entire article, and not just the first sentence, you see him talking about how many weeks, and winning, and political considerations. And saying that Republicans are not going to win if they don't adapt to public opinion.
Trump is being kind of cagey about all of this.

1) He's taken a number of victory laps about the Dodd decision and is taking credit for it.

2) Trump understands that overturning Roe and abortion bans are politically unpopular and played a significant role in Republicans underperforming at the last midterm elections.

3) Therefore, Trump criticizes six week abortion bans while also refusing to endorse fifteen week bans and avoids answering questions about it.

4) Trump instead claims that he'll be able to negotiate with Republicans and Democrats on abortion...which is unlikely.
1 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Szdfan wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:56 pm4) Trump instead claims that he'll be able to negotiate with Republicans and Democrats on abortion...which is unlikely.
Unlikely? How about beyond unlikely?

He's talking about national legislation. As in Congress passing some new bipartisan national law on abortion. The chances of which are frankly zero.

We may someday see national legislation on abortion. But it won't be some sort of bipartisan consensus negotiated between Republicans and Democrats. It will only happen if one party holds the trifecta of Senate, House, and Presidency and manages to push something through on a strictly partisan basis.

Both Democrats and Republicans already have national legislation on abortion. Neither of which are going anywhere. Democrats have legislation that would re-instate Roe through legislation. https://apnews.com/article/abortion-bil ... 6520311da5 Republicans have legislation that would impose a national 15 week ceiling on all abortions while allowing states to impose tighter restrictions. So it would not supersede any existing state bans and would only affect largely blue states with less restrictions. https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm ... 56a082ef94

There is no bipartisan deal that would reconcile those two approaches and bring peace on this issue.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Could someone explain to me how federal laws about abortion are appropriate?

Is murdering unborn babies “interstate commerce”?
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Ken wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:24 pm
Szdfan wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:56 pm4) Trump instead claims that he'll be able to negotiate with Republicans and Democrats on abortion...which is unlikely.
Unlikely? How about beyond unlikely?
According to Trump, he's the best at negotiating. The best!
1 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:49 pm Could someone explain to me how federal laws about abortion are appropriate?

Is murdering unborn babies “interstate commerce”?
Yes, abortion is interstate commerce. People cross state lines for surgical abortions and abortion medications are produced and distributed across state lines. They are also regulated by the FDA.

It is "commerce" because people pay for it. Whether in the form of a service (surgical abortion) or a good (medical abortion).

The Constitution (Article 1) also provide Congress with the power to pass laws and tax levies to provide for the "general welfare" of the United States and one could argue that abortion (either pro or con) relates to the general welfare of the country.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Sliceitup wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:15 pm What do you think that the proper context was for his remarks?
He thinks that what Desantis did wrong was not negotiate an agreement from both sides but forced a number. I am NOT saying I agree with him, but he clearly thinks this can be negotiated, as he thinks all things can.

I do think the majority of US citizens thinks there is a middle ground and it could be a good starting point. This is my perspective of what Trump meant here.
2 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Valerie wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:25 pm Because of him & his appointment of 2 conservative judges; finally a 50 year wrong was made right.

Valerie, i haven’t read all pages here, my impression is you’ve pointed out the numbers of positives DJT accomplished for prolife and conservative matters.

Of course the expected thing is to jump on something questionable, ignore everything else. Even on this forum.

The USSC is bound to rule according to the Constitution, not popular opinion or for political strategy.

Who knew Dems would full-on jump into high gear to exterminate the unborn - no matter what, at what expense?
No effort at all to try to understand the whys or reasoning behind the USSC decision.

They’ve outdone themselves in their race to the bottom.

i haven’t dug into Trump’s recent remarks. i’m aware of the circus surrounding them.
Considering his overall impressive record for prolife, as compared with any POTUS, i’ll withhold judgment.

i’m more bothered by Nikki Haley’s approach on abortion.
i sense she is a consummate politician, not to be trusted. the world does not need more career politicians.
Last edited by temporal1 on Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN