MLK and the churches behind him

A place to discuss history and historical events.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: MLK and the churches behind him

Post by Ken »

PetrChelcicky wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:43 pm Ken, as for the present matter I relied on an affair often mentioned. The first informations seem to come from Tiktok and the first publication was, as far as I can find:
https://summit.news/2022/02/02/teacher- ... kin-color/
Now I was wrong about the age: fifth graders not first graders (slip of memory). And it started obviously rather more like sorting pupils, not grouping them, even if in the end it seems to have become grouping. I cannot find any dementi - the school (AM Kulp in Hatfiled, PA) seems to have been silent about it. That's all I can find about it. You may say that the teacher (if the report is correct) was unusually clumsy. But I insist that the basic idea is inevitable: As "racial/social justice" is DEFINED either by group proportionality or by group average, it makes no sense without grouping.

As for the historical matter (the promises) I am just looking where I found it.
Teachers have long tried to teach lessons about prejudice. One common example was sorting kids by eye color and then granting privileges based on eye color and then having the kids discuss how they felt to be advantaged or disadvantaged based on a trait they had no control over.

If you can't distinguish between that sort of one-time lesson about prejudice and schools/cities/societies that actually do discriminate and sort kids based on color then I don't know what to tell you.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

Ken wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:41 pm
Teachers have long tried to teach lessons about prejudice. One common example was sorting kids by eye color and then granting privileges based on eye color and then having the kids discuss how they felt to be advantaged or disadvantaged based on a trait they had no control over.
That's an object lesson I used myself as a teacher. Very effective, I think.

Also used a (wooden!) wheelchair my grandparents had owned, to help students understand a tiny bit about being disabled, as well as caring for the disabled.
1 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Joy wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:56 pm That's an object lesson I used myself as a teacher. Very effective, I think.

Also used a (wooden!) wheelchair my grandparents had owned, to help students understand a tiny bit about being disabled, as well as caring for the disabled.
When used to open eyes and teach empathy, useful.
Unfortunately, in present hyper-politicization of everything, esp in gov schools, these lessons are abused to sew division and strife.

Parents of all description are noticing and asking for it to be ended.
As well, in the U.S., races are mixed to the point those older object lessons are fairly obsolete.
There are many children today who might understand the intended lesson - in reverse.

Big careers have been built on racial division.
The profiteers aren’t about to let go of it, they lead it and teach it. $$$$

1 year ago / Breaking! Ty Smith IL father is supported by Condoleezza Rice on CRT! Just sayin' / -5min

i imagine it would be difficult for those in other countries to get a handle on weird, U.S.-centric notions of race relations.
The entire U.S. was not all in the same place at once. Federal laws decided to respond with one size fits all laws; it was well-intended, but, of course, with mixed results. Such federal laws IMPLY the problems were the same across the various U.S. regions.

At the time, they did not foresee how laws intended to help a specific group, i.e., descendents of authentic slaves, would soon be hijacked for every special interest group the imagination could cobble together, including carnal sinners. That’s a shortfall of human reasoning mixing it up with human law. Gross exploitation of original intent.

i persist in believing MLK Jr’s big fail was leading his flock to seek after gov for answers, rather than continuing to follow and trust God. In former times, most would not believe God could or would be forgotten. How soon they forget!!
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

PetrChelcicky wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:59 pm What interests me is above all:
Can Christians be re-seduced to support Bolshevism a second time? And I think that yes, they can.

Mostly by the promise of "social harmony" without all those nasty conflicts we have in Western countries.
And most Christians will not look too deep into how thiat social harmony is made (namely by suppression).

I just found Phil Gorski's definition of a "democratic citizen" as someone who is "working with others to pursue the common good".
That's just that trap, appealing to a (typically Christian) wish for social harmony.
i agree, repetition of sins+crimes, errors, is common to mankind. It requires vigilance to resist.
God is patient, He want all to repent and submit to Him. 2Peter3:9 https://biblehub.com/2_peter/3-9.htm

i agree, too, Christians long for social harmony, many attempts (at utopias) have been made over time.
it can be a trap.

on earth, authentic faith is never “done.” it’s a work in progress, it requires vigilance. 1Peter5:8 https://biblehub.com/1_peter/5-8.htm
0 x

UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:39 pmi persist in believing MLK Jr’s big fail was leading his flock to seek after gov for answers, rather than continuing to follow and trust God.
You do realize that it was the government itself that the Civil Rights movement was opposing. It was the government that beat and lynched their children, forced them into segregated schools, prevented them from voting, and engaged in an endless list of other types of government oppression that composed Jim Crow segregation.

If you want to change the government you either engage with it peacefully and democratically, or you engage with it violently. Those are your choices. We should all be thankful that they chose the former path. I somehow doubt White people would have been so magnanimous. White people took up arms against the British in 1776 for a list of grievances that were FAR less severe than the conditions that Black people in the south faced in 1954.
2 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Ken wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:44 pm
temporal1 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:39 pmi persist in believing MLK Jr’s big fail was leading his flock to seek after gov for answers, rather than continuing to follow and trust God.
You do realize that it was the government itself that the Civil Rights movement was opposing. It was the government that beat and lynched their children, forced them into segregated schools, prevented them from voting, and engaged in an endless list of other types of government oppression that composed Jim Crow segregation.

If you want to change the government you either engage with it peacefully and democratically, or you engage with it violently. Those are your choices. We should all be thankful that they chose the former path. I somehow doubt White people would have been so magnanimous. White people took up arms against the British in 1776 for a list of grievances that were FAR less severe than the conditions that Black people in the south faced in 1954.
you regularly go out of your way to miss the point, change the trajectory to one of your preferred interest.
go ahead and enjoy yourself. preferably, by yourself.

(my suggestion was about pastors leading to follow Christ (not gov). as per Chesterton’s quote.
from your forum posts, this is not yet on your radar.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:02 pm
Ken wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:44 pm

you regularly go out of your way to miss the point, change the trajectory to one of your preferred interest.
go ahead and enjoy yourself. preferably, by yourself.

(my suggestion was about pastors leading to follow Christ (not gov). as per Chesterton’s quote.
from your forum posts, this is not yet on your radar.
You claimed that MLK's big fail was to seek after government for answers. However every single success achieved by the Civil Rights movement from Brown v. Board of Education to the Civil Rights and Voting Rights acts and the end of Jim Crow segregation was a government solution or government answer. Every single one.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

As Chesterton said .. “Christianity .. it’s not been tried.”
0 x

UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:16 pm As Chesterton said .. “Christianity .. it’s not been tried.”
I find it telling that you reserve your "trust in Jesus not the government" advice only for those with whom you disagree.
1 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Ken wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:42 pm
temporal1 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:16 pm As Chesterton said .. “Christianity .. it’s not been tried.”
I find it telling that you reserve your "trust in Jesus not the government" advice only for those with whom you disagree.
i doubt you’ve read much of what i write, let alone with attention to intent. you wrote me off as irrelevant long ago.
to clarify further, my interest in Chesterton’s quote is not about giving advice (to anyone) with certainty, but about respecting his intriguing challenge to attempt that which is difficult and unnatural for mankind: trust and faith in Christ God.

it’s not advice, even from Jesus. it’s His invitation.

but, carry on. and on. when you tire, Jesus is waiting.
0 x

UNKNOWN