Adornment… please be gentle I am learning and not from an anabaptist background

General Christian Theology
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Adornment… please be gentle I am learning and not from an anabaptist background

Post by ohio jones »

Ernie wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:21 pm I requested that the moderators move the last couple pages of posts to another thread since it doesn't really fit your topic.
Since the OP has responded to some of the posts that might have been moved, I think we will leave them unless the OP desires otherwise.

But this would be a good time for a reminder that there is a Conservative Anabaptist subforum for topics where not-so-conservative viewpoints are not desired. Application to join can be made by going to the User Control Panel, Usergroup tab, and selecting the CA group.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Adornment… please be gentle I am learning and not from an anabaptist background

Post by Ernie »

Lakeadams wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:49 pmI can see what you’re saying.. would it be better to say, “is this something worth dividing the body of Christ over” ?

I agree, if we ask if something is a Heaven or hell issue we’re almost asking how little is required of me? I used to say that often until I realized that’s not really what I meant in the end.
Yes, I think that could be a good way to ask it.

Another question I hear quite often is, "What's wrong with that?"
I think the better questions are, "Is there anything really right about this?" or "Is this an excellent thing to do?"

Regarding the question in the OP...
Some scholars understand the apostle Peter to be addressing the practice of braiding colored thread into one's hair. However, I certainly respect Anabaptists and other Christians who decide not to braid their daughter's hair at all due to a very literal interpretation of this instruction.
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Lakeadams wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:47 pmThat’s a very interesting point… do you think the Holy Spirit convicts everyone about the same things? For example, I don’t feel any violation of my conscience or a conviction about simple wedding bands. I won’t wear mine in the company of my conservative anabaptist brothers and sisters because I know how they feel about them, but I don’t think it’s sinful for me to wear it. Great point you brought up!
Jonah was asked to preach at Ninevah. Paul was asked to preach to the Gentiles. If either of them did not follow the Lord in this, I think there would be consequences. So yes, I think the Lord convicts some people to do certain things that he does not ask of others.

I think your choice to not wear your band in the company of Anabaptists is probably from the Holy Spirit. The NT often speaks to the issue of not doing things that will embolden the consciences of others. So I commend you for this. One thing that often bothers me about "liberated Christians" is how they flaunt their liberities in front of Anabaptists, Muslims, Mormons, conservative Baptists, conservative Pentecostals, etc. I think the scripture clearly teaches the opposite of this and makes me wonder if they are really in tune with the Spirit. Some do repent of this at some point.

Does the Holy Spirit convict everyone about the same things? I have no idea! :) It does seem that the Holy Spirit does not convict us of everything at once. There are over 800 commands in the New Testament and it can take awhile to recognize all those. And then there are "layers" of obedience associated with these commands. We might think we are obeying a command and then the Holy Spirit shows us ways that could apply a command in an even greater way or in a more deeper way. I tend to think that we do not live long enough to be convicted of everything the Holy Spirit would like to convict us of, simply because of our slowness sometimes to act upon what he tells us.

I do think the Holy Spirit first deals with us on the issues that are a hindrance to us being the people he wants to be. Once we yield to him in those matters, then he starts dealing with other matters. For example, I've read many testimonies of women who were convicted to cover their heads. Once they did that, the Holy Spirit began showing them all sorts of things in their life that were inconsistent with the principles behind headcovering. Yet it does not seem there is any rhyme or reason behind the order in which he convicts them of things.

And lastly, Jesus does talk about weightier matters of the law such as Justice, Love of God, Mercy, and Faith. I think these are the sorts of things we should focus on. The devil often gets people to focus on less weighty matters and never get around to the weighty matters.
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Lakeadams
Affiliation: Seeking

Post by Lakeadams »

Ernie wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:37 am
Lakeadams wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:47 pmThat’s a very interesting point… do you think the Holy Spirit convicts everyone about the same things? For example, I don’t feel any violation of my conscience or a conviction about simple wedding bands. I won’t wear mine in the company of my conservative anabaptist brothers and sisters because I know how they feel about them, but I don’t think it’s sinful for me to wear it. Great point you brought up!
Jonah was asked to preach at Ninevah. Paul was asked to preach to the Gentiles. If either of them did not follow the Lord in this, I think there would be consequences. So yes, I think the Lord convicts some people to do certain things that he does not ask of others.

I think your choice to not wear your band in the company of Anabaptists is probably from the Holy Spirit. The NT often speaks to the issue of not doing things that will embolden the consciences of others. So I commend you for this. One thing that often bothers me about "liberated Christians" is how they flaunt their liberities in front of Anabaptists, Muslims, Mormons, conservative Baptists, conservative Pentecostals, etc. I think the scripture clearly teaches the opposite of this and makes me wonder if they are really in tune with the Spirit. Some do repent of this at some point.

Does the Holy Spirit convict everyone about the same things? I have no idea! :) It does seem that the Holy Spirit does not convict us of everything at once. There are over 800 commands in the New Testament and it can take awhile to recognize all those. And then there are "layers" of obedience associated with these commands. We might think we are obeying a command and then the Holy Spirit shows us ways that could apply a command in an even greater way or in a more deeper way. I tend to think that we do not live long enough to be convicted of everything the Holy Spirit would like to convict us of, simply because of our slowness sometimes to act upon what he tells us.

I do think the Holy Spirit first deals with us on the issues that are a hindrance to us being the people he wants to be. Once we yield to him in those matters, then he starts dealing with other matters. For example, I've read many testimonies of women who were convicted to cover their heads. Once they did that, the Holy Spirit began showing them all sorts of things in their life that were inconsistent with the principles behind headcovering. Yet it does not seem there is any rhyme or reason behind the order in which he convicts them of things.

And lastly, Jesus does talk about weightier matters of the law such as Justice, Love of God, Mercy, and Faith. I think these are the sorts of things we should focus on. The devil often gets people to focus on less weighty matters and never get around to the weighty matters.
Amen! I agree. I think you said this well. I wonder at what point can anabaptists share “communion” (I’m
Not sure what title everyone uses for the agape/communion time)with those who don’t look like them? I’ve found that I have to be at a certain spiritual level to take communion. The work of Christ has taken decades in me and I’m still not finished :lol: so am I not to partake of communion until I am either submitted to ALL of the teachings of my conservative Anabaptist congregation or am convicted on these things? May the Lord be glorified in our discussion!
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Not sure what this may add to this discussion, but I have often heard it preached (in regards to standards) that if something is not spelled out in the Bible, it becomes a preference.

I would advise you to pace yourself and not get too caught up in the emotional side of what is "right" and what is "wrong."
4 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:10 am Not sure what this may add to this discussion, but I have often heard it preached (in regards to standards) that if something is not spelled out in the Bible, it becomes a preference.

I would advise you to pace yourself and not get too caught up in the emotional side of what is "right" and what is "wrong."
I can’t agree with this. Shooting up with heroin isn’t spelled out in the Bible but I think it is obvious a Christian should not do this.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Josh wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:24 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:10 am Not sure what this may add to this discussion, but I have often heard it preached (in regards to standards) that if something is not spelled out in the Bible, it becomes a preference.

I can’t agree with this. Shooting up with heroin isn’t spelled out in the Bible but I think it is obvious a Christian should not do this.
I wasn't thinking on that level, but good point.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

More importantly, the New Testament is not the law and is not intended to be legislation. When we try to turn the NT into a rigid law to live by, we pervert its purpose.
2 x
Lakeadams
Affiliation: Seeking

Post by Lakeadams »

Josh wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:21 pm Nearly all divisions in Christendom are not in Anabaptist groups. It is not the fault of plain people that divisions exist.
I certainly wasn’t blaming plain people for divisions in the church, but they have as many divisions as any other group in Christendom. At least from what I have come to learn, some groups have divided over the use of modern means of fastening clothing- this could have been false information but if I recall correctly one Amish group was against buttons or Velcro? I think my underlining question should be - “where do we draw the line in adornment? Can we fellowship with one another and share communion if we don’t hold the same convictions regarding adornment/external appearance?”
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Lakeadams wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:20 am
Josh wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:21 pm Nearly all divisions in Christendom are not in Anabaptist groups. It is not the fault of plain people that divisions exist.
I certainly wasn’t blaming plain people for divisions in the church, but they have as many divisions as any other group in Christendom. At least from what I have come to learn, some groups have divided over the use of modern means of fastening clothing- this could have been false information but if I recall correctly one Amish group was against buttons or Velcro? I think my underlining question should be - “where do we draw the line in adornment? Can we fellowship with one another and share communion if we don’t hold the same convictions regarding adornment/external appearance?”
If you believe in the rapture when true believers are snatched off the earth to be with the Lord, it would seem to me we all will end up in white robes ('down by the river side' :) . What a dilema if we can't wear our religious garb that we wear down here. Sorry, silly thought just popped into my head. Carry on.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit