Genesis 1: What is a 'firmament'?

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Falco Underhill
Affiliation: Hermit

Re: Genesis 1: What is a 'firmament'?

Post by Falco Underhill »

RZehr wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:52 am Waters above and waters beneath, could be demonstrated with a modern globe.
Let me just say I think it's interesting how the CFs, guessing upon the language of Genesis, thought all the water vapors in the air condensed into rain, causing the Deluge.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Falco Underhill wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:39 am
RZehr wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:52 am Waters above and waters beneath, could be demonstrated with a modern globe.
Let me just say I think it's interesting how the CFs, guessing upon the language of Genesis, thought all the water vapors in the air condensed into rain, causing the Deluge.
Who are the CFs?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Falco Underhill
Affiliation: Hermit

Post by Falco Underhill »

Ken wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:52 am
Who are the CFs?
Church Fathers. I just get tired of writing it out. :mrgreen:
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Falco Underhill wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:00 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:52 am

Who are the CFs?
Church Fathers. I just get tired of writing it out. :mrgreen:
I googled "CF" and came up with a lot of possibilities, some of them vulgar. But Church Fathers was not one of them :lol:
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

I'm having a hard time seeing a modern globe in this text. Can you help me understand what part of this corresponds to a modern globe? Is there any hint that the earth is a sphere or that the earth is a planet like other planets in this chapter?
1 IN the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 Now the earth was unformed and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the spirit of God hovered over the face of the waters. 3 And God said: 'Let there be light.' And there was light. 4 And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness. 5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.

6 And God said: 'Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.' 7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament; and it was so. 8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And there was evening and there was morning, a second day.

9 And God said: 'Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear.' And it was so. 10 And God called the dry land Earth, and the gathering together of the waters called He Seas; and God saw that it was good. 11 And God said: 'Let the earth put forth grass, herb yielding seed, and fruit-tree bearing fruit after its kind, wherein is the seed thereof, upon the earth.' And it was so. 12 And the earth brought forth grass, herb yielding seed after its kind, and tree bearing fruit, wherein is the seed thereof, after its kind; and God saw that it was good. 13 And there was evening and there was morning, a third day.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Bootstrap wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:42 pm
I'm having a hard time seeing a modern globe in this text. Can you help me understand what part of this corresponds to a modern globe? Is there any hint that the earth is a sphere or that the earth is a planet like other planets in this chapter?
1 IN the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 Now the earth was unformed and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the spirit of God hovered over the face of the waters. 3 And God said: 'Let there be light.' And there was light. 4 And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness. 5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.

6 And God said: 'Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.' 7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament; and it was so. 8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And there was evening and there was morning, a second day.

9 And God said: 'Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear.' And it was so. 10 And God called the dry land Earth, and the gathering together of the waters called He Seas; and God saw that it was good. 11 And God said: 'Let the earth put forth grass, herb yielding seed, and fruit-tree bearing fruit after its kind, wherein is the seed thereof, upon the earth.' And it was so. 12 And the earth brought forth grass, herb yielding seed after its kind, and tree bearing fruit, wherein is the seed thereof, after its kind; and God saw that it was good. 13 And there was evening and there was morning, a third day.
Neither is there anything there that suggests a flat earth. Elsewhere we have figurative language in the Scripture referring to the earth as "the four corners of the earth", and also as "the circle of the earth".
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Neto wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:49 pm

Neither is there anything there that suggests a flat earth. Elsewhere we have figurative language in the Scripture referring to the earth as "the four corners of the earth", and also as "the circle of the earth".
How do you know that the language alluding to a flat earth is "figurative" But Genesis 1 and 2 are to be taking literally?
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I’m saying that if you take a regular globe of the earth, set it on your dining room table, it will typically be oriented with the North Pole on top, and the South Pole “beneath”, right?
In that sense, there is waters “above” the equator, and waters “below”. To explore this idea, then the land would be in the “midst” of all the waters. Roughly speaking.

Not to get hung up on the North being the “top”, or any thing, other than just saying no matter which way one positions a sphere, one side will be the “above” and one side will be “beneath”.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:32 pm
I’m saying that if you take a regular globe of the earth, set it on your dining room table, it will typically be oriented with the North Pole on top, and the South Pole “beneath”, right?
In that sense, there is waters “above” the equator, and waters “below”. To explore this idea, then the land would be in the “midst” of all the waters. Roughly speaking.

Not to get hung up on the North being the “top”, or any thing, other than just saying no matter which way one positions a sphere, one side will be the “above” and one side will be “beneath”.
But in a heliocentric spherical earth there is no up or down. Or at least there is no reason to put the north pole up. In fact on most globes, the north pole is not up. The earth is tilted 23.5 degrees on its axis on most globes so it is actually the Arctic Circle that is directly on the top of the globe. One might more logically position one's own position at the top of the globe if one is modeling an Old Testament frame of reference.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Neto wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:49 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:42 pm I'm having a hard time seeing a modern globe in this text. Can you help me understand what part of this corresponds to a modern globe? Is there any hint that the earth is a sphere or that the earth is a planet like other planets in this chapter?
I agree.

Best to stick with the language we find in the text itself.
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?