Morals & ethics behind supporting certain mission efforts?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Morals & ethics behind supporting certain mission efforts?

Post by Josh »

Biblical Anabaptist wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:47 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:21 am We have a variety of folks here that like to think through things and I hope this subject can be discussed in a mature manner and not get political more than it has to be.

I was recently made aware of most likely the biggest drug problem we have in American in Kensington Philidelphia, which is closer to home for me than I care for it. Some of my coworkers that drive truck go through that area weekly and have told me the stories. I have also done some research, watched YouTube vids and so on. My heart really goes out to those folks. It is not just Fentanyl that is being used my something called "tranq" which is basically livestock tranquilizers. And they're mixing the two together and becoming zombies, hence the name "Zombieland" for that neighborhood.

Here is my dilemma: I found a mission that goes out into the streets and helps these people with food and housing, counseling, etc. The kicker is, they supply these poor folks with clean needles and crack pipes to help stop the spread HIV and such. To that end, they also distribute Narcan to people on the street. I get it, really I do, but would this qualify as "enabling" the addiction?
2 families from our congregation recently moved to 6th Street Mission in Philadelphia which is about 1 1/2 miles from Kensington
What conference is that church in these days?
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Josh wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:59 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:21 am We have a variety of folks here that like to think through things and I hope this subject can be discussed in a mature manner and not get political more than it has to be.

I was recently made aware of most likely the biggest drug problem we have in American in Kensington Philidelphia, which is closer to home for me than I care for it. Some of my coworkers that drive truck go through that area weekly and have told me the stories. I have also done some research, watched YouTube vids and so on. My heart really goes out to those folks. It is not just Fentanyl that is being used my something called "tranq" which is basically livestock tranquilizers. And they're mixing the two together and becoming zombies, hence the name "Zombieland" for that neighborhood.

Here is my dilemma: I found a mission that goes out into the streets and helps these people with food and housing, counseling, etc. The kicker is, they supply these poor folks with clean needles and crack pipes to help stop the spread HIV and such. To that end, they also distribute Narcan to people on the street. I get it, really I do, but would this qualify as "enabling" the addiction?
2 families from our congregation recently moved to 6th Street Mission in Philadelphia which is about 1 1/2 miles from Kensington
Pretty sure that is still Mid Atlantic.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:31 am

Pretty sure that is still Mid Atlantic.
My understanding is that Mid Atlantic is no longer leading this.
0 x
:hug:
Biblical Anabaptist
Affiliation: Unaffiliated Menno

Post by Biblical Anabaptist »

I do not know the particulars as I was not a part of the City Light congregation when 6th Street was taken over by City Light Christian Fellowship in Waynesboro PA. As I understand it is somewhat of an outreach of City Light (an unaffiliated congregation) but is not necessarily controlled by City Light. I don't know if Mid Atlantic still owns the real estate or what the arrangement is with that.

0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Interesting. I believe City Light would be Charity, right?
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:04 pm Interesting. I believe City Light would be Charity, right?
There's an old thread on the subject, here. It starts with this question:
MichaelPA wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:34 am What denomination is City Light Christian Fellowship in Waynesboro, PA?
... and currently ends with a mention of Max's age, for those with calculators. Max, did you ever visit?
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
steve-in-kville

0 x

Biblical Anabaptist
Affiliation: Unaffiliated Menno

Post by Biblical Anabaptist »

Josh wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:04 pm Interesting. I believe City Light would be Charity, right?
I guess some would call us "Charity" City Light is an independent group started by several families who left the Washington Co group. Wilmer Martin from Lehman St, Lebanon PA assisted them in getting started. City Light has never had any connections to Charity. We are a non-affiliated congregation that fellowships with Shippensburg Fellowship, St Thomas Fellowship and some with Chambersburg Christian Fellowship.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

:laugh
Biblical Anabaptist wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:04 pm
I guess some would call us "Charity" City Light is an independent group started by several families who left the Washington Co group. Wilmer Martin from Lehman St, Lebanon PA assisted them in getting started. City Light has never had any connections to Charity. We are a non-affiliated congregation that fellowships with Shippensburg Fellowship, St Thomas Fellowship and some with Chambersburg Christian Fellowship.
Ah. I guess I wonder what the prevailing “philosophy” is. For example, how fast are changes to assimilate to the world happening (I am making an assumption City Light is generally more assimilated than W/F).
0 x
steve-in-kville

Biblical Anabaptist wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:04 pm
Wilmer Martin from Lehman St, Lebanon PA assisted them in getting started.
This man you speak of... would he have been EPMC at one time?
0 x