War in Gaza

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: War in Gaza

Post by Josh »

Grace wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 7:46 am
Robert wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:11 pm I know there are Palestinian families suffering right now. This is why.

And another reason why.

They broke this young lady's legs; shot her in the head after brutalizing and defiling her. Hamas kept her body as a token and bargaining chip for months, denying her a proper burial and keeping her family in constant torment over their daughter’s resting place. They put her on the back of a pick up and drove around, as a trophy, while Palestinians cheered for her brutal killers. Hamas even called her mother and pretended that she was alive, only to reveal that she had been killed along with over 1,200 other innocent Israelis.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2024/0 ... ered-gaza/
Does any of that justify bombing churches, Danish kitchen workers, or killing young children?
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 11:39 am Does any of that justify bombing churches, Danish kitchen workers, or killing young children?
i fail to see any forum member justifying violence on either side.
discussing facts isn’t justifying violence. i don’t believe any forum member is ambivalent about what’s happening.

regarding the kitchen workers, Israel responded quickly this was a grave mistake, and they made changes within to prevent it in future.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Josh wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 11:39 am

Does any of that justify bombing churches, Danish kitchen workers, or killing young children?
No it doesn't. Especially coming from a non-resistant stand point. War is a horrible thing and my heart breaks for all the innocent people who always die during wars. In this case both the Israelis and the people of Palestine.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

In this war there are people on both sides who are cheerleading the killing and massacres of civilians.

Until that changes I doubt much will change. It took the English and Irish about 900 years to figure out how to live at peace in Ireland.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh

Post by Josh »

temporal1 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 12:52 pm regarding the kitchen workers, Israel responded quickly this was a grave mistake, and they made changes within to prevent it in future.
It's not a "mistake" when a large, powerful military does something like this. Israel's stance has been not to care about civilian casualties in Gaza. They finally got caught when they killed Danish people, who, I'm sorry to say, simply have more clout than Gazans do.

The net effect of this has been very bad for Israel, in terms of their international standing. A lot of countries like Spain don't want to even give ships safe passage to ship arms to Israel. Israel would be a lot better off if they weren't conducting what effectively amounts to a reign of terror against Gazan civilians. They should be focusing on actual war with Hamas, not war against the civilian population.

But the real question is... what's good for Netanyahu's political career? A quick swift end to this war isn't.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Josh wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:58 pm Israel's stance has been not to care about civilian casualties in Gaza.
This is not my understanding.
Josh wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:58 pm They should be focusing on actual war with Hamas, not war against the civilian population.
It is hard when the civilian population is harboring and helping Hamas. Those who do not willingly help them are forced to help them.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Robert wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 1:35 am
Josh wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:58 pm Israel's stance has been not to care about civilian casualties in Gaza.
This is not my understanding.
Josh wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:58 pm They should be focusing on actual war with Hamas, not war against the civilian population.
It is hard when the civilian population is harboring and helping Hamas. Those who do not willingly help them are forced to help them.
That doesn't explain bombing a clearly marked truck of Danish cooks and then repeatdly assaulting the Danes when they fled for cover.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Josh wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:59 am That doesn't explain bombing a clearly marked truck of Danish cooks and then repeatdly assaulting the Danes when they fled for cover.
When one studies war, the "fog of war" causes a lot of unintended side effects. The civilian to combatant ratio is much lower in Gaza then the US did in Afghanistan and Iraq, or any other war the US has been in.

This is one of he reasons why war is bad. Innocents do get hurt. Avoiding it is a must. When on side attacks, the other side, to stop continuing attacks uses a concept of overwhelming force on retaliation to convince the other side not to do that any more. I do not like it, but this is what happens. All the Middle East countries know Israel does this. They have done it multiple times due to other attacks. I understand why Israel does it, but that does not mean I agree. It is not a Christian response, but neither Israel or the US are Christian nations.

Jordan, Egypt and Syria has learned. I guess it is Palestine's turn to learn.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Robert wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:52 amThe civilian to combatant ratio is much lower in Gaza then the US did in Afghanistan and Iraq, or any other war the US has been in.
You must be using quite different numbers than what I see.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh

Post by Josh »

Hamas is about 20-25k people. Gaza's population is 590k.

For comparison, Israel's armed forces are about 635k and their population is over 9 million. Israel has almost twice as many fighters per civilian compared to Gaza.
0 x