Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

How do you dress for Sunday Church

Total votes: 0

mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Re: Men: How do you dress for Church?

Post by mike »

steve-in-kville wrote:
HondurasKeiser wrote: As an example, the next time you fly, count the number of people that look as though they simply rolled out of bed, grabbed their suitcase and arrived at the airport. As their fellow traveler I do not wish to know what their pajamas look like - yet I am subjected to it by at least half of the passengers on the plane.
Don't have to fly. Just go to Walmart! :D
I think Dollar General may have Walmart beat these days.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I thought of this thread. Just got off plane, Almost all were dress casual or better. Only about 8% were under dressed.
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

T-shirts are the clothing of the common, simple, poor, and plain man.
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

HondurasKeiser wrote: As an example, the next time you fly, count the number of people that look as though they simply rolled out of bed, grabbed their suitcase and arrived at the airport. As their fellow traveler I do not wish to know what their pajamas look like - yet I am subjected to it by at least half of the passengers on the plane.
Could part of it be the airport and timing of the flight? I used to take early morning flights out of a regional airport in a major college town. There may have been more PJ travelers because of that. Today I left mid day from a regional to Denver. No sleepy folks. Sitting in Denver at the moment, people watching. Only a small percentage appear to me to be under dressed. However, it is cold, and most are wearing jackets.
On the other hand, I may be conditioned to a lower dress code than some of you, even though I happen to be wearing a suit.

But to your point about the growing sloppiness in American culture, I agree.
Last edited by RZehr on Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

joshuabgood wrote:T-shirts are the clothing of the common, simple, poor, and plain man.
Like Mark Zuckerberg?
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

joshuabgood wrote:T-shirts are the clothing of the common, simple, poor, and plain man.
They are. But the difference in costs are quite negligible on the whole. Clothes simply do not have to cost a large amount of ones paycheck compared to prior years. There is more of a difference in brands than style. A nice new T shirt with a sports team might cost more than a new button down shirt.
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

ken_sylvania wrote:
Like Mark Zuckerberg?
If you google images for "poor people" or "third world people" you will see many t-shirts and many shorts. You don't see a lot of crisp trousers and buttoned shirts or felt hats or suspenders. I am sorry but that is just an empirical reality.

Zuckerburg, for all his faults, has rightly rejected the clothes of a rich man. Good for him.
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

I agree.
0 x
AnthonyMartin
Affiliation: LMC

Post by AnthonyMartin »

joshuabgood wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:
Like Mark Zuckerberg?
If you google images for "poor people" or "third world people" you will see many t-shirts and many shorts. You don't see a lot of crisp trousers and buttoned shirts or felt hats or suspenders. I am sorry but that is just an empirical reality.

Zuckerburg, for all his faults, has rightly rejected the clothes of a rich man. Good for him.
Some choose clothes out of necessity and need, others to make certain points. Men like Zuckerberg and Belichick dress down because of the image they want to portray and maintain. I respect dressing for culture, environment and necessity more than dressing for the purpose of protecting "My" image.
0 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

joshuabgood wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:
Like Mark Zuckerberg?

I think we need to ask ourselves why this is the case. It’s true as you say that t-shirts and shorts are the clothes of the common man but even my friends that live in the garbage dump make an effort to dress up when they leave the community and out into La Ceiba proper. Also, if you look at photos of men in Honduras from even 40 years ago, they all are wearing trousers and short-sleeved button-downs. Go back another 30 years and they’re all wearing hats and light suit jackets. People in Honduras are just as prone to desiring comfort over anything else as are the wealthy North Americans.
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church