The Nicene Creed

General Christian Theology
Josh

Re: The Nicene Creed

Post by Josh »

PeterG wrote:Strictly speaking, I agree with this. But I believe that the full deity of Jesus is one of the First Things, and the trouble with most nontrinitarian systems (and yes, they are extrabiblical theological systems just as much as the doctrine of the trinity is, and then some) is that they diminish or deny his deity. I'm not terribly interested in defending trinitarianism per se, but I believe it is vital to defend the full deity of Jesus.
How do Oneness Pentecostals diminish or deny the deity of Jesus?

I think this is an unfair accusation. There are a lot of trinitarian groups, like virtually every mainline Protestant denomination, that have ended up denying the deity of Jesus.

The Mennonite Church USA maintains a trinitarian position, yet my local MC USA affiliate had a pastor who basically considered that Jesus could be just a man, or a historical figure, or possibly even a fictional historical figure.

I fully agree it is vital to defend the full deity of Jesus. I just don't think trinitarianism is the best way to do that. I think the best way to establish Jesus is God and Lord is to make him my God and my Lord by obeying him.
0 x
HondurasKeiser

Post by HondurasKeiser »

temporal1 wrote:Page 3:
This topic has been visited by many of my fav forum authors. 8-)
It’s gone beyond my initial marvel at how the Nicene Creed was compiled, word by word, line by line, from scriptures. i did not grow up with creeds, they remain (mysterious) to me. Even tho, in different ways, i’ve known about them and read them for some years now.

But, HondurasKeiser! :D
This is a welcome surprise.
i’m reading with interest, not ready to attempt a comment or question.
Thanks, T1!
0 x
HondurasKeiser

Post by HondurasKeiser »

temporal1 wrote:
Valerie:
His post revealed much insight & understanding that I was left thinking only God could have given this kind of wisdom & ability to see this, in this way.

I appreciate how you evaluated the whole scenario without pulling the Constantine card to devalue what the Church had been through and you have the ability to assess this in such a way that the defenders of our faith would appreciate -

if you're still reading thank you for your input! Always!

Is Honduas a Pastor or Teacher somewhere? I wasn't sure, I would definitely feel confident learning under him-
i hope HK will return, too.
i noticed his posts a few days ago, did not have time to respond.
i am learning on this topic.

i believe HK is a Mennonite pastor in Honduras.
if my memory serves from MD.

(i don’t mean to diminish others’ posts, this topic has attracted great content. helpful.)
I am really humbled by both of you and your kind and heartfelt words. I don't consider myself wise in matters spiritual so I would agree with you, if anything approaching wisdom came from my post, it most assuredly wasn't my doing. For a number of years I was a missionary here in La Ceiba, Honduras working through the Eastern Mennonite Mission Board. After my term of service ended though I decided to come back and make this my home so I now teach high school history and philosophy at a local school here.
0 x
PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Josh wrote:
PeterG wrote:Strictly speaking, I agree with this. But I believe that the full deity of Jesus is one of the First Things, and the trouble with most nontrinitarian systems (and yes, they are extrabiblical theological systems just as much as the doctrine of the trinity is, and then some) is that they diminish or deny his deity. I'm not terribly interested in defending trinitarianism per se, but I believe it is vital to defend the full deity of Jesus.
How do Oneness Pentecostals diminish or deny the deity of Jesus?

I think this is an unfair accusation.
I was careful to say, "most nontrinitarian systems." I specifically had Oneness Pentecostalism in mind when I added that qualifier. It is a fact that most nontrinitarians diminish or deny the deity of Jesus. Oneness Pentecostals are an exception to the general rule.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

PeterG wrote:It is a fact that most nontrinitarians diminish or deny the deity of Jesus.
Is it?

I think there are an awful lot of Christians who believe firmly in the deity of Jesus but do not use the word trinity. It's just not part of their vocabulary because they prefer to use vocabulary found directly in the Bible or for some other reason. I really don't know where I would go for statistics on this, so I don't know what "most" of these people believe.

Neither the Schleitheim Confession or the Dordrecht Confession mention the trinity. On the Menno Simons website, the page summarizing his teachings about the trinity uses the word only in the title, not in the words of Menno Simons himself. But he believed firmly in the deity of Christ.

I am not hearing anyone in this thread suggest that the deity of Christ should be up for grabs.
0 x
PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Bootstrap wrote:
PeterG wrote:It is a fact that most nontrinitarians diminish or deny the deity of Jesus.
Is it?

I think there are an awful lot of Christians who believe firmly in the deity of Jesus but do not use the word trinity. It's just not part of their vocabulary because they prefer to use vocabulary found directly in the Bible or for some other reason.
[snip]
Neither the Schleitheim Confession or the Dordrecht Confession mention the trinity. On the Menno Simons website, the page summarizing his teachings about the trinity uses the word only in the title, not in the words of Menno Simons himself. But he believed firmly in the deity of Christ.
Being a trinitarian is about a conception of God, not the use of the word "trinity." I rarely use or think of the word. The Nicene Creed itself does not use the word. The Dordrecht Confession is certainly trinitarian:
We confess with the mouth, and believe with the heart, with all the pious, according to the holy Scriptures, in one eternal, almighty, and incomprehensible God, the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, and in none more, nor in any other; before whom no God was made or existed, nor shall there be any after Him: for of Him, and through Him, and in Him, are all things; to Him be praise and honor forever and ever, Amen.
As far as I know, the only real alternative to trinitarianism is modalism. If you're going to be a monotheist who believes in the deity of Christ you pretty much have to be one or the other. Trinitarianism is far, far more predominant in the doctrinal confessions of churches that uphold the deity of Christ, Oneness Pentecostals being the only notable modalist group that I'm aware of. As you said, it's probably impossible to determine exactly what the Christian rank-and-file believe, but I strongly suspect that they would incline toward trinitarianism rather than modalism, regardless of their degree of familiarity with theological terminology. That would certainly fit with my experience.

None of this is to say that it is necessary or even desirable for every Christian to be familiar with formal theological concepts. You seem wary of that idea, and I appreciate that.
Bootstrap wrote:I am not hearing anyone in this thread suggest that the deity of Christ should be up for grabs.
It seemed to me that a couple of people were open to questioning the full deity of Jesus. Perhaps I was wrong; I hope I was.
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Can we define "diety"?
0 x
ohio jones

Post by ohio jones »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Can we define "diety"?
It's not a common word, to be sure, but I did find one English definition:
wordnik.com wrote:adj. good for a diet
Deity may be more helpful in the context of this thread. ;)
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

:!:
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

PeterG wrote:Being a trinitarian is about a conception of God, not the use of the word "trinity." I rarely use or think of the word. The Nicene Creed itself does not use the word. The Dordrecht Confession is certainly trinitarian:
We confess with the mouth, and believe with the heart, with all the pious, according to the holy Scriptures, in one eternal, almighty, and incomprehensible God, the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, and in none more, nor in any other; before whom no God was made or existed, nor shall there be any after Him: for of Him, and through Him, and in Him, are all things; to Him be praise and honor forever and ever, Amen.
As far as I know, the only real alternative to trinitarianism is modalism. If you're going to be a monotheist who believes in the deity of Christ you pretty much have to be one or the other. Trinitarianism is far, far more predominant in the doctrinal confessions of churches that uphold the deity of Christ, Oneness Pentecostals being the only notable modalist group that I'm aware of. As you said, it's probably impossible to determine exactly what the Christian rank-and-file believe, but I strongly suspect that they would incline toward trinitarianism rather than modalism, regardless of their degree of familiarity with theological terminology. That would certainly fit with my experience.

None of this is to say that it is necessary or even desirable for every Christian to be familiar with formal theological concepts. You seem wary of that idea, and I appreciate that.
I would go one step further. I am not certain that some of these grand theological concepts are correct, and they have led to bloody divisions about things that are beyond our understanding. I worry that we sometimes create grand edifices of our own understanding and put our trust in them.

To me, it's really important to remember that God is beyond our understanding. I definitely believe in the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and in the deity of Jesus Christ. I am not sure how to relate that to other depictions of God - Elohim, the seven spirits of God, etc. The Bible never gives us a neatly packaged explanation of the exact relationships between Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I suspect you would probably call me trinitarian, but the Nicene Creed was written as the result of a council that said I am a heretic if I don't believe this:
Homoousion (/ˌhɒmoʊˈuːsiən/; Greek: ὁμοούσιον, translit. homooúsion, lit. 'same in being', from ὁμός, homós, "same" and οὐσία, ousía, "being") is a Christian theological term, used in the Nicene Creed for describing Jesus (God the Son) as ὁμοούσιον τῷ Πατρί, "same in being" or "of single essence", with God the Father. That notion became one of the cornerstones of theology in Nicene Christianity, and also one of the most important theological concepts within the Trinitarian doctrinal understanding of God.

The term was adopted at the First Council of Nicaea (325) in order to clarify the ontology of Christ. From its Greek original, the term was translated into other languages. In Latin, which is lacking a present participle of the verb 'to be', the translation consubstantialis was chosen, since the noun substantia was commonly used in Latin as translation of the Aristotelian term ousia).
This whole debate of substances and essences leaves me cold, there's nothing like this in the Bible. And it's not just Latin that has difficulty translating this precisely, English does too. The Nicene Creed insists that the right word to describe this relationship is a term taken from Gnostic teachers. Some of the early church fathers, including Origen, thought the right explanation was more like this:
A homoiousian (from the Greek: ὁμοιούσιος from ὅμοιος, hómoios, "similar" and οὐσία, ousía, "essence, being") was a member of 4th-century AD theological party which held that God the Son was of a similar, but not identical, substance or essence to God the Father. Proponents of this view included Eustathius of Sebaste and George of Laodicea.:580, 668 Homoiousianism arose in the early period of the Christian religion out of a wing of Arianism. It was an attempt to reconcile the seemingly irreconcilable views of the pro-Nicene homoousians, who believed that God the Father and Jesus his son were identical (ὁμός, homós) in substance, with the "neo-Arian" position that God the Father is "incomparable" and therefore the Son of God can not be described in any sense as "equal in substance or attributes" but only "like" (ὅμοιος, hómoios) the Father in some subordinate sense of the term.
I don't know the right theological explanation, and it's not because I haven't spent time on it. You can really get lost in this stuff. It's not particularly edifying or useful. It doesn't make you a better disciple. It doesn't involve the kind of worshipful descriptions of God we find in the Bible. I think it's better for us to love, serve, and worship God.

Constantine thought the way to united Christianity was to establish a detailed common theology that settled questions like this, but it actually led to deep divisions among people who believed what the Bible teaches but disagreed about systematic theology. And perhaps they got a little lost in trying to explain what cannot be explained.

I would rather worship God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. I don't need a lot of fancy theology to do that, what the Bible tells me is enough. Instead of a creed that ensures I am on the right side of a dispute I don't understand, I would rather spend more time worshiping in church.
Last edited by Bootstrap on Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x