Immersion vs. Pouring Baptism

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
karpos
Affiliation: beachy

Re: Immersion vs. Pouring Baptism

Post by karpos »

Bootstrap wrote:
Did you know there's a soda pop called Mayim Chaim
Just when I thought I would not learn anything new today, I learned something new.

I will probably stick to orange Fanta in the glass bottles though
0 x
karpos

Post by karpos »

Bootstrap wrote: And then there's Beer Mayim Chaim. Which isn't what it sounds like.
http://ascentofsafed.com/cgi-bin/ascent ... chernovitz
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

For those who think baptism should be some kind of image or analogy, it is noteworthy that the "baptism" of crossing the Red Sea consisted of water overtop, but certainly nothing like full immersion. Those who were "fully immersed" drowned and died. Those who were saved passed through with dry feet, but with water overtop of them ready to be poured.
0 x
karpos

Post by karpos »

I remember a sermon on baptism and the minister said immersion was too inconvenient and not useful for someone in prison wanting to be baptized.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

When we feel the need to defend our form of baptism, we have used many similar defences. I would rather not defend. Usually when we feel the need to defend, it is because we are feeling attacked or insecure or unsure.
0 x
karpos

Post by karpos »

Hats Off wrote:When we feel the need to defend our form of baptism, we have used many similar defences. I would rather not defend. Usually when we feel the need to defend, it is because we are feeling attacked or insecure or unsure.
I've heard immersion attacked enough and this "true anabaptist" or "non-mennonite background" label to give me the impression that some people have some superiority complex over how they were baptized. Kind of like circumcision was to jews.
0 x