Bunny Trails: Politics

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Bunny Trails: Politics

Post by Bootstrap »

Grace wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:43 am When She and Biden promote the "Very Fine People on both sides" lie it is, to shed light on the fact they think Trump is a racist.
That's exactly what Trump said, according to the Snopes article you pointed to.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump ... ne-people/
In a news conference after the rally protesting the planned removal of a Confederate statue, Trump did say there were "very fine people on both sides," referring to the protesters and the counterprotesters. He said in the same statement he wasn't talking about neo-Nazis and white nationalists, who he said should be "condemned totally."
For the record, virtually every source that covered the Unite the Right debacle concluded that it was conceived of, led by and attended by white supremacists, and that therefore Trump's characterization was wrong.
I don't think there were a lot of moderate Republican voters in that crowd. Or plain Mennonites. So I don't know what lie you are talking about here.
Grace wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:43 amWhen she talks about the "bloodbath" comments Trump made about the auto industry going to China, taking his words out of context, and claiming he was talking about if he loses the election, it is to shed light on the upcoming election and that there might be violence.
I agree that we ought to read quotes in context. Here's the quote:

https://www.politifact.com/article/2024 ... ath-and-b/
"But if you look at the United Auto Workers, what they've done to their people is horrible. They want to do this all-electric nonsense where the cars don't go far. They cost too much. And they’re all made in China. And the head of the United Auto Workers never probably shook hands with a Republican before they're destroying — you know, Mexico has taken, over a period of 30 years, 34% of the automobile manufacturing business in our country, think of it, went to Mexico.

"China now is building a couple of massive plants, where they're going to build the cars in Mexico and … they think that they're going to sell those cars into the United States with no tax at the border. Let me tell you something to China. If you're listening, President Xi, and you and I are friends, but he understands the way I deal, those big, monster car manufacturing plants that you're building in Mexico right now, and you think you're going to get that, you're going to not hire Americans, and you're going to sell the cars to us, no. We're going to put a 100% tariff on every single car that comes across the line, and you're not going to be able to sell those cars.

"If I get elected. Now, if I don't get elected, it's gonna be a bloodbath for the whole, that's going to be the least of it. It's going to be a bloodbath for the country. That'll be the least of it. But they're not gonna sell those cars."
Then Trump went on to make the following astonishing claim about Joe Biden, which seems to go with the bloodbath quote:
We're the only ones, and they know this, that could stop them. We’re the only ones, there's nobody else around. If this election, if this election isn’t won, I'm not sure that you'll ever have another election in this country. Does that make sense? I don't think you're going to have another election in this country if we don't win this election. I don't think you're going to have another election or certainly not an election that's meaningful.
The rally began by honoring the mob from January 6th:
Before Trump spoke at the Ohio rally, an announcer said, "Please rise for the horribly and unfairly treated January 6 hostages." The crowd then heard a recording of the "The Star Spangled Banner" performed by the J6 Prison Choir, men jailed for their actions during the Capitol riot.

Trump saluted and then said at the rally, "Thank you very much, and you see the spirit from the hostages and that's what they are as hostages. They've been treated terribly and very unfairly and you know that and everybody knows that. And we're going to be working on that soon. The first day we get into office we are going to save our country and we are going to work with the people to treat those unbelievable patriots, and they were unbelievable patriots and are."
To me, at least, the bloodbath statement, taken in context, does seem to say there will be a bloodbath if he is not elected, and the rest of the speech underlines that.
1 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven Men.

Post by Neto »

Define "bloodbath", in both literal and figurative senses. Then talk about whether there might be some misunderstanding involved. (I think the same line of inquiry should be posed regarding the use of the word 'fight", back before the January 6th deal.)
I am not defending anyone - I'm just thinking as a linguist. The Gospel writers said some corny things too - if everything is to be taken in the literal sense. Even as simple as saying the Jews wanted to kill Jesus. Well, Jesus was also a Jew. (They could have said 'the leaders of the Jews', but they knew that any normal reader/listener would understand. That one's a part-whole relationship, not really figurative-literal, but it's an example of how words are used in something other than their full normal sense.)
Some people will purposely 'misunderstand', and misrepresent what another person said. Very few in politics (or in political discussions) attempt to avoid that sort of thing.
1 x
Grace

Post by Grace »

The lie that Biden and Harris have repeated many times is that Trump was referring to the Neo-Nazis and white supremacists in Charlottesville, saying that Trump said they very fine people. When Trump was referring to the people, on both sides of the issue concerning removing or keeping the statue.

0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Grace wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:01 pm
The lie that Biden and Harris have repeated many times is that Trump was referring to the Neo-Nazis and white supremacists in Charlottesville, saying that Trump said they very fine people. When Trump was referring to the people, on both sides of the issue concerning removing or keeping the statue.
And on one side of that debate were the Neo-Nazis and white supremacists.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Grace

Post by Grace »

Ken wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:15 pm
Grace wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:01 pm
And on one side of that debate were the Neo-Nazis and white supremacists.
Trump denounced Neo-Nazis and white supremacists.

Biden has no room to talk, accusing anyone of white supremacy and racism . He is the one who proudly befriended segregationists, touted an award from George Wallace, honored a former Exalted Cyclops of the Ku Klux Klan, worried his kids would grow up in a "racial jungle," marveled that Barack Obama was "articulate" and "clean".

BTW another whopper Biden told in that clip, that he was a professor at a college. Biden was not a full professor at the University of Pennsylvania as he claimed on numerous occasions. He was NOT involved in regular classes, but only did about a dozen public appearances on campus, mostly in big, ticketed events and Q&A's
0 x
Ken

Re: Ukrainian president Zelensky visited Scranton PA.

Post by Ken »

Grace wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 10:49 am
Ken wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 10:44 am
Grace wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:20 amThe prior Democrat Pennsylvania Governor moved covid patients into nursing homes, which ended up with the elderly dying unnecessarily.
You keep talking about this issue with Walz and now the governor of PA.

What do you think should have happened? Just leave old sick people in the parking lot to die? Roll them out to the bus stop in front of the hospital and say "you are on your own now?"

Hospitals had limited numbers of ICU beds and had to triage to treat the most acutely sick patients. New patients who were more sick and in more critical condition and in need of ventilators were showing up to hospitals every day. After patients were stabilized and no longer needed ICU care they had to be sent home to make room for new patients who needed ICU care. If you are living in a nursing home, where is "home?"

Nursing homes are health care facilities just like hospitals. It was incumbent on them to do disease management and isolate sick patients just like hospitals. Or just like if you bring someone sick home from the hospital to your house. If they chose not to set up proper isolation wings and properly manage the disease because that might cut into their profits, that is on them.
My main point was the celebration of killer bombs and the culture of death.
Yes, that is so unseemly when politicians do it, isn't it?

0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ken wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 10:55 am Yes, that is so unseemly when politicians do it, isn't it?
Except Trump didn't "do" that. It's from the hyperactive imagination of a guy who says this about himself:
I'm an artist, I like history and drawing weird things.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

ohio jones wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 11:30 am
Ken wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 10:55 am Yes, that is so unseemly when politicians do it, isn't it?
Except Trump didn't "do" that. It's from the hyperactive imagination of a guy who says this about himself:
No, he just forwards and promotes those kinds of images on his Truth Social page
0 x
Grace

Post by Grace »

Ken wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 11:39 am
No, he just forwards and promotes those kinds of images on his Truth Social page
A weak argument. Bombs kill people, photos don't. How many people will be brutally killed by the bomb Josh Shapiro signed? How do you think the loved ones, the fathers and mothers, the wives and children, would feel if they knew that people in the U.S. celebrated that bomb, that killed their loved ones?
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Grace wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 11:45 am
Ken wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 11:39 am
A weak argument. Bombs kill people, photos don't. How many people will be brutally killed by the bomb Josh Shapiro signed? How do you think the loved ones, the fathers and mothers, the wives and children, would feel if they knew that people in the U.S. celebrated that bomb, that killed their loved ones?
They are defending against an invading army bent on genocide. Have you not spoken out here on this forum about the right of countries like Israel to defend themselves from invasion? Russia could end their invasion tomorrow if they wanted.

But all politicians celebrate the military and military weaponry. Not just Democratic ones. If I recall it was Trump who wanted to bring out tank battalions for annual 4th of July parade in Washington DC down Pennsylvania Avenue until the Pentagon finally convinced him it was a bad idea because they would destroy the roads.
0 x