Williamsburg, VA and History Interpretation

A place to discuss history and historical events.
Ernie

Williamsburg, VA and History Interpretation

Post by Ernie »

A fascinating article about Williamsburg with many things I did not know before, including the challenges of working at a place like this.
I know some of you may not like the publisher of this article, but so be it. See if you can learn something. :-)

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... s-00176182
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Williamsburg, VA and History Interpretation

Post by barnhart »

I've considered taking my family there for years, but some things about it bother me. Sounds like they are generally doing a good job.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

barnhart wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:51 pm I've considered taking my family there for years, but some things about it bother me. Sounds like they are generally doing a good job.
I think they are, especially the interpreters. I have been there twice recently and twice as a teenager. They speak to you as people from the period 1775-1781. For reference, the Articles of Confederation were adopted by Congress in 1777 and finally ratified in 1781, the Constitution was not until 1791.

So if you ask them about the Constitution, they look puzzled, and say, "do you mean the Articles of Confederation? I do hope they will be ratified soon, this has taken a long time ..." If you ask them about freedom of the press or freedom of religion, they will answer as people from that time. If you ask about freedom of religion, they will proudly point out that Virginia has a State Church, the Church of England, and that all citizens support it with their taxes, everyone is free to participate. They will also tell you that there are also Methodists, Baptists, and Presbyterians, but they do not have church buildings in Williamsburg, and your tax money certainly does not go to support such churches.

By speaking as people from that time period, they break you out of your normal frameworks for thinking about these things. I'm pretty sure everyone I talked to would support a modern concept of freedom of religion, but their job was to represent the way things were then.
0 x
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

Maybe I've never seen it done well. The Cherokee village I toured was creepy to me. The Cherokee were seated on the ground making crafts while the observers ogled them from elevated platforms. I would have enjoyed a more respectful arena.

Stone Mountain State Park in Georgia is notable for its links as a sacred ground for the rebirth of the KKK and for astounding carvings of Confederate heroes. They managed to make it even more uneasy by recreating a pre-civil war plantation with an authentic slave built plantation house, belles in hoop skirts and of course black folk in slave costume toiling for the pleasure of the visiting public. They even included actual restored shacks that once housed slaves. I don't think I will be going back.

From the article it seems the Colonial Williamsburg people have put more thought and more humanity in it
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Colonial Williamsburg actors will sometimes transition to the present after their acting and engage you in conversation.

We also toured Kings Landing and Plimoth Plantation. At those places the actors would never step out of their roles.

I liked both approaches.

And I can recommend all three places. I would love to volunteer at one of them some day.
1 x
cooper
Affiliation: LMC

Post by cooper »

I visited Williamsburg as a child (maybe 6 or 7). I observed a tar and feathering reenactment. I recall being terrified - I was still figuring out what what was real and why was acting.
0 x
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

cooper wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:29 pm I visited Williamsburg as a child (maybe 6 or 7). I observed a tar and feathering reenactment. I recall being terrified - I was still figuring out what what was real and why was acting.
That's an impressive dedication to the portrayal of history.
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

barnhart wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:51 pm I've considered taking my family there for years, but some things about it bother me. Sounds like they are generally doing a good job.
We were there last year. The interpreters were world-class. Williamsburg is probably the gold standard of historical reenactment. But yeah, some things about the real colonial Williamsburg would probably have bothered you, so it is no surprise that the recreated version does as well.
0 x
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

mike wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 4:50 pm
We were there last year. The interpreters were world-class. Williamsburg is probably the gold standard of historical reenactment. But yeah, some things about the real colonial Williamsburg would probably have bothered you, so it is no surprise that the recreated version does as well.
I don't mind acknowledging messy history as long as it's not demeaning.
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

barnhart wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 5:18 pm
mike wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 4:50 pm
I don't mind acknowledging messy history as long as it's not demeaning.
For example the militarism and the opulence of the ruling class. Not to mention slavery.
0 x