Evangelism, Empathy, and Christian Nationalism...

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Evangelism, Empathy, and Christian Nationalism...

Post by Grace »

Ken wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 1:36 pm
GaryK wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 1:32 pm When you say churches, do you mean members in a church or something else?

But those times were half a century or more ago. These days I don’t think it is any more appropriate for Harris to give a political speech in an historically Black church than it is for Trump to give a political speech in a conservative evangelical church. Or for either types of church INSTITUTIONS to engage in partisan politics. Which is different from church members engaging in politics on their own outside of church. I don’t object to anyone engaging in politics outside of church. That is their right as Americans.

Or Biden in a black church.

0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Grace wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 1:43 pm Or Biden in a black church.
Or any politician bringing politics into any church.

They should be free to attend church and participate in all of their faith traditions. Like Jimmy Carter teaching Sunday School. But they should leave the politics at the front door.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh

Post by Josh »

Grace wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 1:43 pm
Ken wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 1:36 pm
GaryK wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 1:32 pm When you say churches, do you mean members in a church or something else?

But those times were half a century or more ago. These days I don’t think it is any more appropriate for Harris to give a political speech in an historically Black church than it is for Trump to give a political speech in a conservative evangelical church. Or for either types of church INSTITUTIONS to engage in partisan politics. Which is different from church members engaging in politics on their own outside of church. I don’t object to anyone engaging in politics outside of church. That is their right as Americans.

Or Biden in a black church.
Good point, although I wasn't trying to turn this into a politics thread. For whatever reason, openly campaigning in churches seems to be something that the left is completely comfortable with doing.

In our conservative Anabaptist churches, we don't invite politicians to give sermons or stump speeches. Perhaps other denominations could learn from our example.
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

If Christian’s wouldn’t vote, politicians would find themselves disinterested in speaking in churches.
That’s one thing you could try, if you don’t like mixing church and state.
1 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

My sense is, gov is blind to lib politics in churches, else, there wouldn’t be political flags+banners proudly flying outside.
As well, some churches are so focused on politics, political activism, i’m not sure if they’d know what to do with themselves if it weren’t allowed.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

RZehr wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:14 pm If Christian’s wouldn’t vote, politicians would find themselves disinterested in speaking in churches.
That’s one thing you could try, if you don’t like mixing church and state.
It has worked quite well for me. Local politicians have showed up on occasion but since they are not invited to speak, they soon loose interest.
0 x
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

temporal1 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 7:08 pm My sense is, gov is blind to lib politics in churches, else, there wouldn’t be political flags+banners proudly flying outside.
As well, some churches are so focused on politics, political activism, i’m not sure if they’d know what to do with themselves if it weren’t allowed.
Churches are allowed to be involved in political issues, like LGBTQ rights or abortion. Churches are not supposed to endorse or advocate for particular candidates, though the IRS doesn't really enforce that.

What do you think the government should be doing about lib politics in churches?
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Szdfan wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:09 pm Churches are allowed to be involved in political issues, like LGBTQ rights or abortion.
Not that this is incorrect, but this sounds odd to my ears. Because I primarily think of these issues as sin issues, which puts them squarely within the purview of the church, not political issues. Even though they are political issues.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Szdfan wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:09 pm Churches are allowed to be involved in political issues, like LGBTQ rights or abortion. Churches are not supposed to endorse or advocate for particular candidates, though the IRS doesn't really enforce that.

What do you think the government should be doing about lib politics in churches?
They should be applying the same cudgels they've applied to conservative politics in churches.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:33 pm
Szdfan wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:09 pm Churches are allowed to be involved in political issues, like LGBTQ rights or abortion. Churches are not supposed to endorse or advocate for particular candidates, though the IRS doesn't really enforce that.

They should be applying the same cudgels they've applied to conservative politics in churches.
Examples?

For example, the conservative Bethel church in Redding CA has been ultra involved in both local and national politics for some time. What “cudgels” has the government applied to them?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr