Marrying Someone With a Promiscuous Past

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh

Re: Marrying Someone With a Promiscuous Past

Post by Josh »

barnhart wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 8:09 am Side note: Where the "Holy Spirit is leading us together" approach gets weaponized is in patriarchal cultures where women are taught to accept male authority without question. I don't recommend this at all but as long as the woman is empowered to hear from God as well, it might work out.
Whilst not the norm, some young men seem to consistently get “no”s back. In such cases, pastoral guidance to help them ensure they are hearing the Lord’s voice can be a help.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Szdfan wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:53 pm Sometimes it's hard for young conservative men to distinguish the difference between sexual attraction and the Holy Spirit.
Just read this thread from my last post and want to comment on this one.

I believe when the scripture says the Holy Spirit will lead us in the way that we should go, that this says to me, that we can know His voice above all other thoughts and voices going on in our heads. I think back on what Paul said about his 'thorn in the flesh' situation. Paul did not get a reply from God on his initial attempts to get God to respond. I believe this can also be the case in some of our directions we ask guidance for and I know my problem has often been to not wait for this answer. And attraction to the opposite sex is a strong pull to go with our feelings and hoping God will not say 'no'.

I also think there is scriptural support for prayers and fastings to know God's will. And there is a danger in just believing since we have the Holy Spirit living within us that what is most logical in our thinking must be the Holy Spirit's leadings.

I had an uncle who became a Christian and in his early days of being a Christian he would ask the Holy Spirit for guidance over most everything he did throughout the day. Later in his walk with the Lord this was not as obvious in his practise but rather operating from a sense that a circumstance especially needs the Spirit's direction. When having this sense he would pray and fast until he received direction.

My guess is that many of us are too impatient to hear from God in this world of having so many things at our finger tips. And perhaps some of us have not learned to know the Spirit's still small voice that will guide us. Or know it but just give way to our flesh too often.

Looking back I can only wonder what direction my life may have gone if I had given God a chance of guiding me in my marriage choices. My choices brought me much pain. But I am very thankful that God doesn't write us off as some Christians would but is faithful in giving us new beginnings. I feel very blessed over these many years to have a Christian wife to share our experiences in the Lord.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

God did create men and women to be attracted to each other… and a marriage sure isn’t going to work if that attraction isn’t there.

I find it weird when people act like it’s a bad thing.
0 x
Signtist

Post by Signtist »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:18 am
Josh wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:55 am
I will continue to resist any attempts to derail this into making it gendered.
Apparently I have no idea what this thread is about :o
Don't worry. I started it and apparently I don't either.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Szdfan wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:53 pm Sometimes it's hard for young conservative men to distinguish the difference between sexual attraction and the Holy Spirit.
I think that is true of men in general.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

mike wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 6:31 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 6:18 am
Ken wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 5:12 pm

So when the guy says "The Holy Spirit is guiding me to marry you"
And the woman says: "Sorry, I don't think so. Not going to happen"

Then who do you believe and follow? :lol:
Tell that to her dad and see how far you get 8-)
She could just fast until she is able to say yes
Or, in the case of a certain young man interested in my daughter way back when, she could tell him that he would likely die waiting, that she just was not interested.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:12 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 6:18 am

Tell that to her dad and see how far you get 8-)
Or, in the case of a certain young man interested in my daughter way back when, she could tell him that he would likely die waiting, that she just was not interested.
Folks, if a marriage proposal is a complete surprise to the gal, than something has gone off the rails badly. My wife was somewhat surprised, but not totally so. She said she kinda suspected something like that was coming.

Generally, I am sure women can sense that this one guy is not ordinary.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:18 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:12 pm

Folks, if a marriage proposal is a complete surprise to the gal, than something has gone off the rails badly. My wife was somewhat surprised, but not totally so. She said she kinda suspected something like that was coming.

Generally, I am sure women can sense that this one guy is not ordinary.
Holdemans and Apostolic Christians do blind proposals. Although Holdemans do have a custom of sending a card first.
0 x
Pelerin

Post by Pelerin »

Josh wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:59 pm Holdemans and Apostolic Christians do blind proposals. Although Holdemans do have a custom of sending a card first.
What kind of card? Like a note saying “expect to hear from me soon”? “Thinking of you”?
0 x
ohio jones

Post by ohio jones »

Pelerin wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:07 am
Josh wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:59 pm Holdemans and Apostolic Christians do blind proposals. Although Holdemans do have a custom of sending a card first.
What kind of card? Like a note saying “expect to hear from me soon”? “Thinking of you”?
Authorized user credit card in the prospective bride's married name?
0 x