Marrying Someone With a Promiscuous Past

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Marrying Someone With a Promiscuous Past

Post by Ken »

Sudsy wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 12:23 pm I like a simple approach such as seek the Lord's guidance as that is what He sent us the Holy Spirit for. I believe I would have avoided much suffering regarding marriages if I had just trusted that the Spirit is given us to lead us in the way that we should go and sought His guidance.
So when the guy says "The Holy Spirit is guiding me to marry you"
And the woman says: "Sorry, I don't think so. Not going to happen"

Then who do you believe and follow? :lol:
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 5:12 pm
Sudsy wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 12:23 pm I like a simple approach such as seek the Lord's guidance as that is what He sent us the Holy Spirit for. I believe I would have avoided much suffering regarding marriages if I had just trusted that the Spirit is given us to lead us in the way that we should go and sought His guidance.

In my denomination, and also amongst Apostolic Christians, another Anabaptist group, we actually believe you need to feel guided by the Holy Spirit that you should marry someone and feel a conviction for them. Upon deciding such a conviction is genuine, you send the young lady a proposal.

She then decides if she feels a similar conviction.. and sends her answer back.

We believe that a strong conviction is needed on the part of BOTH parties.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 5:18 pm
Ken wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 5:12 pm

In my denomination, and also amongst Apostolic Christians, another Anabaptist group, we actually believe you need to feel guided by the Holy Spirit that you should marry someone and feel a conviction for them. Upon deciding such a conviction is genuine, you send the young lady a proposal.

She then decides if she feels a similar conviction.. and sends her answer back.

We believe that a strong conviction is needed on the part of BOTH parties.
I understand all that. I just find it a little ironic that it is the same Holy Spirit that is guiding two different people in opposite directions. Which pretty much means that one of them is wrong.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

One person gets a conviction to ask a certain girl.

The girl feels it’s not right for her.

They aren’t both sharing a conviction about the same thing. It’s completely normal for it to be the right thing to ask. It’s also normal for it to be right to say no.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:08 pm One person gets a conviction to ask a certain girl.

They aren’t both sharing a conviction about the same thing. It’s completely normal for it to be the right thing to ask. It’s also normal for it to be right to say no.
I agree it is exceedingly common for two people to be on completely different pages when it comes to love, attraction, and marriage.

I'm just pointing out that if they BOTH say they are being guided by the Holy Spirit then obviously one or both of them is wrong about that.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:15 pm
Josh wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:08 pm One person gets a conviction to ask a certain girl.

I agree it is exceedingly common for two people to be on completely different pages when it comes to love, attraction, and marriage.

I'm just pointing out that if they BOTH say they are being guided by the Holy Spirit then obviously one or both of them is wrong about that.
Re-read what I said.
The young man feels the Spirit is leading him to ask the girl.
The young lady feels the Spirit is leading her to say yes (or no).

Not the same thing at all.
0 x
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Sometimes it's hard for young conservative men to distinguish the difference between sexual attraction and the Holy Spirit.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:17 pm

Re-read what I said.

No, those are opposite things, aren't they? Which was my point. Unless you think the Holy Spirit just wants to see women get put on the spot and men to get rejected for some reason.
0 x
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

My mom grew up CM and she told me stories about guys who told her that God or the Holy Spirit wanted them to date and she told them she didn't agree.

I find it a bit icky to use faith to put pressure on other people to date you.
1 x
eccentric_rambler
Affiliation: NMB->Ultra

Post by eccentric_rambler »

Ken wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:01 pm
Josh wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:17 pm

Re-read what I said.

No, those are opposite things, aren't they? Which was my point. Unless you think the Holy Spirit just wants to see women get put on the spot and men to get rejected for some reason.
You are jumping to a concussion, as a former boss liked to tell me. I believe Josh is saying that being led to ask is not the same as being led to date/marry. He can be led to ask, perhaps he is led and her no is an experience God intends to help him mature.
0 x