HPV and Cancer link

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: HPV and Cancer link

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:49 pm I find the idea of redefining hpv as a “childhood disease” disturbing.
It is a childhood vaccine, not a childhood disease. The longer you wait to administer it, the less effect.

Ultimately your children will be responsible for their own adult choices in the future as you will be for the choices that you make while they are in your care.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ken wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:38 pm
Josh wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:49 pm I find the idea of redefining hpv as a “childhood disease” disturbing.
It is a childhood vaccine, not a childhood disease. The longer you wait to administer it, the less effect.

Ultimately your children will be responsible for their own adult choices in the future as you will be for the choices that you make while they are in your care.
They may make less than perfect choices as an adult, but is it our role to punish them for that? Punishment is ultimately in the hands of a sovereign God. Why should anyone force that?
0 x
:hug:
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

P.3:
you do you
If-only .. If only ..
These vaccines represent a great example of where “you do you” (without being hounded to the last breath) applies.
Overall risk is low, for celibate children+individuals as described in this thread,, extremely low, choices should be respected.

If only ..
The world was as interested in introducing SCRIPTURAL TRUTH as “every description deviancy” imaginable, so much confusion and misery could be prevented.

Who is negligent?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:26 pm To know to do good, and than fail do it is sin.
Isa 5:20  Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!
Isa 5:21  Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!
1Pe 3:16  Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.
You stand before God justified in your actions, and we do as well. Perhaps you would do well not to say our actions are sin just because you disagree.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Soloist wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:39 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:26 pm To know to do good, and than fail do it is sin.
Isa 5:20  Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!
Isa 5:21  Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!
1Pe 3:16  Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.
You stand before God justified in your actions, and we do as well. Perhaps you would do well not to say our actions are sin just because you disagree.
Refusing a potentially lifesaving vaccine is sin. I am calling it out. It is no different than failing to treat any other illness you come across. It is doing harm. Maybe you did not hear this before your first clinical rotation:

"Above all, do no harm"

Refusing to treat for a future illness is sin. Period. This kind of stuff has consequences. Maybe withholding prenatal care for unwed mothers next on the agenda?
0 x
:hug:
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:50 pm Refusing a potentially lifesaving vaccine is sin. I am calling it out. It is no different than failing to treat any other illness you come across. It is doing harm. Maybe you did not hear this before your first clinical rotation:
I think accepting a vaccine made using stem cell research is sin.
"Above all, do no harm"

Refusing to treat for a future illness is sin. Period. This kind of stuff has consequences. Maybe withholding prenatal care for unwed mothers next on the agenda?
“Refusing to treat for a future illness is sin” - can you show me where the Bible teaches this? The HPV vaccine in particular really stretches this. I do not see where the Bible teaches “it’s a sin not to take a vaccine that makes you less likely to get a disease that overwhelmingly results from fornication”.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:50 pm Refusing a potentially lifesaving vaccine is sin. I am calling it out. It is no different than failing to treat any other illness you come across. It is doing harm. Maybe you did not hear this before your first clinical rotation:

"Above all, do no harm"

I don’t say someone is sinful for accepting abortion derived medicine. I also don’t condemn someone choosing to use this vaccine. As far as I know there’s no ethical quandaries from a fetal cell standpoint. That doesn’t make this vaccine acceptable for the reasons discussed.

You are condemning brothers for standing for righteousness.
I’ve chosen a path to walk as best I know how, trying not to condemn others who believe differently on extrabiblical teachings or ideas.

Do you represent the rest of your ministry with this concept? I can’t imagine any Mennonite church or conference taking a hardline stance like this. It’s ridiculous. You would lose your ordination in our churches or get excommunicated for trying to fight this.

We’re supposed to create room for personal conscience other than our own black and white thinking. I seem to recall you saying I was OCD basically by calling me out for my stance… are you sure it’s not the kettle calling the pot black?
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ken

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:09 pm P.3:
you do you
If-only .. If only ..
These vaccines represent a great example of where “you do you” (without being hounded to the last breath) applies.
Overall risk is low, for celibate children+individuals as described in this thread,, extremely low, choices should be respected.

If only ..
The world was as interested in introducing SCRIPTURAL TRUTH as “every description deviancy” imaginable, so much confusion and misery could be prevented.

Who is negligent?
Who is hounding you to the last breath? Some random person on the internet?

It is generally not the schools. Only Rhode Island, Virginia, and DC include the HPV vaccine in the list of required school vaccines. Some schools might run general vaccination clinics but most don't. Certainly not around here. The school nurses have enough on their plates just trying to track the required vaccines and prescription medications.

Your child's doctor? The one you see once a year for a 15 minute well child check? It is their job to promote preventative medicine.

I don't think anyone is being hounded to death about the HPV vaccine. But they are hopefully being informed.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:05 pm“Refusing to treat for a future illness is sin” - can you show me where the Bible teaches this? The HPV vaccine in particular really stretches this. I do not see where the Bible teaches “it’s a sin not to take a vaccine that makes you less likely to get a disease that overwhelmingly results from fornication”.
Of course there were no vaccines in Biblical times. But Jesus commanded to his disciples in Matthew 10:14:
  • Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, cast out demons. You received without paying; give without pay.
He didn't qualify it by instructing them only to deal with the righteous who have never sinned.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:35 pm It is generally not the schools. Only Rhode Island, Virginia, and DC include the HPV vaccine in the list of required school vaccines.
Can you explain to us how a school has any right at all to demand children be vaccinated for an STD?

Last I checked, sexual activity isn’t supposed to be happening at schools.
0 x