HPV and Cancer link

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: HPV and Cancer link

Post by Josh »

Ken,

People who engage in fornication eventually are punished with eternal torment unless they repent. Incurable, painful STDs are just a foreshadowing of that.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:24 am Ken,

People who engage in fornication eventually are punished with eternal torment unless they repent. Incurable, painful STDs are just a foreshadowing of that.
If your children ever get cancer I'm sure you will be happy to tell them and their children this very thing. That it is God's will that they are dying a horrible death and leaving their families behind. And that is why you deliberately chose to do nothing when presented with a trivially easy opportunity to prevent it. Good luck with that.

You can't control what your children do for the rest of their lives. Nor can you control what happens to them. But you can choose to protect them against certain common cancers that kill tens of thousands of people every year. The choice is yours. This is about YOUR choices not those of your children. Have you considered how you will be judged by your family and by God for the choices you make?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:53 pm

If your children ever get cancer I'm sure you will be happy to tell them and their children this very thing. That it is God's will that they are dying a horrible death and leaving their families behind. And that is why you deliberately chose to do nothing when presented with a trivially easy opportunity to prevent it. Good luck with that.

You can't control what your children do for the rest of their lives. Nor can you control what happens to them. But you can choose to protect them against certain common cancers that kill tens of thousands of people every year. The choice is yours. This is about YOUR choices not those of your children. Have you considered how you will be judged by your family and by God for the choices you make?
There is a reason we aren’t spending the time teaching our children modern sexual education with safe sex ect.
Teaching them how to do it safely is acceptance of a certain outcome, whereas we object that outcome being predetermined fate.
You accept certain things as predetermined and act accordingly.
This is another key difference between conservatives and liberals.
We don’t know that they won’t sin, but we teach to not sin rather then how to deal with the consequences of sin. there’s nothing stopping them from making their own choice to get the vaccine as adults, and doctors certainly give the option.

I don’t condemn anyone who vaccinates their children for hpv for risk of assault or whatnot, but I don’t think you should treat people like they must hate their children not to.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

As a side note, the statistics Ken are speaking of all age groups. 15% of that 1/6 is under 18 and under 12 is 33% of that 15%.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:40 pm

There is a reason we aren’t spending the time teaching our children modern sexual education with safe sex ect.
Teaching them how to do it safely is acceptance of a certain outcome, whereas we object that outcome being predetermined fate.
You accept certain things as predetermined and act accordingly.
This is another key difference between conservatives and liberals.
We don’t know that they won’t sin, but we teach to not sin rather then how to deal with the consequences of sin. there’s nothing stopping them from making their own choice to get the vaccine as adults, and doctors certainly give the option.

I don’t condemn anyone who vaccinates their children for hpv for risk of assault or whatnot, but I don’t think you should treat people like they must hate their children not to.
I am not suggesting that people hate their children if they don't vaccinate them. I am suggesting that we are all responsible for our own actions. And if you choose not to vaccinate your children when they are children in your care, that is the action that you will potentially be judged by. The chances are low that your children will catch any particular disease for which there are childhood vaccines. But they are not zero.

This isn't about what your kids might choose to do in the future (and not all sexual contact is consensual anyway). This is about the choices that you make on behalf of your children when they are in your care. Choose wisely.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Wife: we both admit that not all people with stds have done anything wrong, whether rape or an unfaithful spouse, or for example, people who got hiv/aids from medical treatments, but no one I know is forbidding their children from getting the HPV vaccine when they are old enough to make the choice.

I refused it at the dental hygiene clinic and when she pointed out my husband may be unfaithful, I told her that I would have a lot more to worry about than hpv in that case. Maybe if we were moving to Haiti or some higher risk area, I would reconsider.
1 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

If they go and engage in fornication, can’t they go and make their own choice to get various vaccines?

I really expect my children not be engaging in sexual activity when they are minors. Do you think that is reasonable?
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:58 pm This is about YOUR choices not those of your children. Have you considered how you will be judged by your family and by God for the choices you make?

I am suggesting that we are all responsible for our own actions. And if you choose not to vaccinate your children when they are children in your care, that is the action that you will potentially be judged by. The chances are low that your children will catch any particular disease for which there are childhood vaccines. But they are not zero.

This isn't about what your kids might choose to do in the future (and not all sexual contact is consensual anyway). This is about the choices that you make on behalf of your children when they are in your care. Choose wisely.
I would suggest that is of much greater and graver consequence to both parents and children, to fail to teach children the importance of living celibate lives until marriage. Much greater.
In fact this thing of passing sexual purity to the next generation has been done in Christianity for thousands of years. Now we are putting HPV vaccination on the table as a replacement? I agree, choose wisely!
Last edited by RZehr on Sun May 26, 2024 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

I find the idea of redefining hpv as a “childhood disease” disturbing.
1 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Folks, I have watched this for awhile. Just to let you know, I have seen the exact same logic used for vaccination for Hepatitis B, a blood borne pathogen that in normally transmitted via shared drug needles and sex, hence I felt my children more or less invulnerable. We got them vaccinated largely because of our risk (We both are healthcare providers) and the mission we were serving under's insistence. I was fairly comfortable in this, that they could never get exposed. So it passed out of our mind.

UNTIL it came to my attention that the child of a missionary in another country contracted acute Hepatitis B. How this child got it? Injured on a school trip, was treated at a local third world clinic, since it was an emergency. Likely reused needle to suture kit. Unfortunately, slipped through the cracks, and was never vaccinated. Everyone was running around checking the vaccination records of their children.

I know someone who married a guy that turned out to be a chronic Hepatitis B carrier. Almost certainly got it from his mother, perinatal transmission is fairly common. Never saw a doctor except for childhood vaccines, wife was already vaccinated. That was a blessing. Did he sin? Or his parents? Or maybe his grandparents. Who knows?

There are multiple possible innocent transmission vectors for HPV. Your daughter or son may marry someone who has sinned in the past. Should they be made a leper as far as marriage? There is no reliable test. There are so many ways it can happen.

To know to do good, and than fail do it is sin.
0 x
:hug: