HPV and Cancer link

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: HPV and Cancer link

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:23 pm
Ken wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:14 pm
One in six American women experience sexual assault in their lifetime, most frequently when they are young. A marriage license doesn't protect against that.
No it doesn’t. There are far worse things then HPV that can be acquired through rape.

Sexual assault though is a very vague thing though.
The statistic was actually for rape or attempted rape. 1 out of every 6 American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime (14.8% completed, 2.8% attempted).
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

One in six American women experience sexual assault in their lifetime, most frequently when they are young. A marriage license doesn't protect against that.
How many of these ended up with HPV?
I'm not sure why the means of transmission of the virus would make you want to leave your children unprotected from the risk of cancer. Each to their own I suppose.
I’m not sure why anyone would want to depend on an HPV vaccine to protect their promiscuous children from HPV and cancer, instead of just teaching them Gods way. But each to their own I suppose.
1 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:38 pm
I'm not sure why the means of transmission of the virus would make you want to leave your children unprotected from the risk of cancer. Each to their own I suppose.
I’m not sure why anyone would want to depend on an HPV vaccine to protect their promiscuous children from HPV, instead of just teaching them Gods way. But each to their own I suppose.
The point isn't really to protect them from HPV. It is to protect them from dying at a young age from horrible deadly cancers, the risk of which is greatly elevated by catching HPV.

Why one wouldn't want to take a trivially easy step to reduce the risk of one's child dying from cancer later in life is a mystery to me.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

RZehr wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:34 pm There are vaccines for fornication? News to me. How is it different than celibacy?
so now you know what your children and you would be facing if in public schools.
i’m surprised your pediatrician hasn’t addressed it in detail with you.

even years ago, our respected pediatrician startled me and our son when he entered the exam room, looked my young son in the eye, jovially+loudly asking, “how’s your sex life?!” circa 1993? they don’t hold back. i was not pleased.

i appreciate soloist’s input. it’s a matter of knowing your child/children. and keeping them out of harm’s way.

i wouldn’t leave a $20,000 ring lying on the sidewalk. my children are far-far more precious.

in my large extended family, all manner beliefs and habits, not vaccinated, no known cervical cancer/HPV.
i believe that indicates low risk.

regarding this risk and others, i’m pretty sure monogamy matters.

even homosexuals got the message that monogamy is far less dangerous.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:46 pm
RZehr wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:38 pm
I’m not sure why anyone would want to depend on an HPV vaccine to protect their promiscuous children from HPV, instead of just teaching them Gods way. But each to their own I suppose.
The point isn't really to protect them from HPV. It is to protect them from dying at a young age from horrible deadly cancers, the risk of which is greatly elevated by catching HPV.

Why one wouldn't want to take a trivially easy step to reduce the risk of one's child dying from cancer later in life is a mystery to me.
I disagree that the primary reason is to avoid cancer. I think it is to avoid HPV primarily. How does HPV increase the cancer rate, if you don't get HPV? It doesn't. We choose to not get HPV the old fashion way. Now if there became a pandemic of HPV being spread through other means to children or myself, I wouldn't be opposed to getting the vaccine for my children or myself, which ever was at risk.

I don't know of anyone, or have heard of anyone, who (A) got HPV, much less (B) got cancer that was in anyway connected to HPV. So it's just not something that I'm really concerned about.

At a certain level, I feel like giving my children this vaccine is an attempt to equip them for sexual promiscuity. Which in fact, I believe is the real reason the vast majority do get this vaccine. If there was only virgins, and sexual activity of all kinds was confined to the marriage bounds as God intends, how much of this would actually be a problem?
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

If you have a child they have a non-zero chance of coming down with an HPV-caused cancer. They are not particularly rare. The CDC states: https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/uscs/about/d ... 5-2019.htm
According to data from 2015 to 2019, an estimated 47,199 new cases of human papillomavirus (HPV)-associated cancers occurred in the United States each year, including 26,177 among women and 21,022 among men.
There are a variety of cancer associated with HPV, the most common of which is cervical cancer which is most often diagnosed in women between the ages of 35 and 44 but can occur in women as young as 20. Cervical cancer has a 10-year survival rate of about 50% and the other various cancers are similar.

I, for one, do not want to be in a position where one of my daughters comes down with an aggressive cancer that will consume her family for years until finally dying a painful death, leaving behind children and a husband. And then have to have the following conversation with my daughter or her family:
  • "we could have easily prevented all of this with a simple vaccine when you were 12, but we deliberately chose not to do so BECAUSE......"
My wife and I made sure that we won't ever have to have that conversation because our girls all got the HVP vaccine during one of their pre-teen well-child checks. It took 15 seconds and cost nothing because it was covered by insurance under the ACA. The earlier you administer the vaccine the better because it becomes less effective when given at older ages or after exposure to the HPV virus and over 80% of both men and women get HPV at some point in their lives. So it isn't something you can wait on until they are 25 or 30 and expect the same result.

If you choose not to vaccinate your children for HPV and the worst happens. What will be your "BECAUSE....." excuse when you have the above conversation? I'm really curious.

*Note: This is somewhat personal for me. I work as a long-term substitute science teacher for two different school districts which means I fill in long-term for teachers out on leave for medical reasons or sometimes maternity leave. For the past 15 months I've been teaching in place of a young teacher who is dying of ovarian cancer. She is late 30s and has two children. Every time I see her she looks worse and worse and she will not be around much longer. Two years ago I covered for a teacher at another school who ended up dying of prostate cancer. And back in Texas I taught next door to a teacher who died quite quickly of an aggressive brain tumor. He was in his 40s and his daughter was on my daughter's soccer team. It is an ugly painful way to die and horrible for the family left behind as well.
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

You are asking me to believe that if two virgins get married and stay loyal to each other, they are somehow at an elevated risk of cancer due to HVP because they didn’t get this vaccine? Really? Is that what you are saying in a nutshell?
Please spare me the government statistics that include all the fornicating public, because that isn’t what I’m asking about.

Or if I’m not clear enough, which is more likely to get cancer due to HPV:

1. This HPV unvaccinated person was a virgin, married a virgin, was faithful to each other all their life.
2. This HPV vaccinated person engaged in fornication with the average of 8-15 partners.
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Without new exposure, it’s impossible for a married/monogamous woman to acquire a new HPV infection. However, a woman who is currently monogamous may have been exposed through a former partner and be unaware.

Cervical cancer is the fourth most common gynecologic (affecting the female reproductive system) cancer worldwide. Virtually all cases of cervical cancer are attributed to HPV infection. HPV 16 is the most common type of the virus to cause cervical cancer. (HPV 18 is another common culprit.)

https://phelpshealth.org/news/featured- ... ve%20later.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:46 pm You are asking me to believe that if two virgins get married and stay loyal to each other, they are somehow at an elevated risk of cancer due to HVP because they didn’t get this vaccine? Really? Is that what you are saying in a nutshell?
Please spare me the government statistics that include all the fornicating public, because that isn’t what I’m asking about.

Or if I’m not clear enough, which is more likely to get cancer due to HPV:

1. This HPV unvaccinated person was a virgin, married a virgin, was faithful to each other all their life.
2. This HPV vaccinated person engaged in fornication with the average of 8-15 partners.
How many children do you have?

You are asking us to believe that every one of them will go through life completely celibate except for the person they marry just because you wish it? And that whatever spouses your children find will also have gone through life completely celibate and stay 100% faithful? Just because you wish it? And that none of them will ever be the victim of a sexual assault just because you wish it? And that none of them will ever be in close physical contact with someone carrying the virus? That is a whole lot of wishful thinking.

And do you think that just because a child got a vaccine at age 10 that it will make them more promiscuous years later? Seriously?

I really don't get it. Its is the only vaccine for cancer that we have of any kind. There is no other. And people don't want it for their kids for the prudish reason that there is a connection to sex?

And if all your wishing doesn't work out and the worst happens. What is your "because..." answer going to be?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I, for one, do not want to be in a position where one of my daughters comes down with an aggressive cancer that will consume her family for years until finally dying a painful death, leaving behind children and a husband. And then have to have the following conversation with my daughter or her family:

"we could have easily prevented all of this with a simple conversation about not fornicating when you were 12, but we deliberately chose not to do so BECAUSE......"

Men also need to be taught not to fornicate, because they can pick up HPV from a promiscuous woman. Later in life they could transmit it to their wife.
0 x