Progressive/Conservative threshold?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Progressive/Conservative threshold?

Post by ohio jones »

mike wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:04 am What group did Anabaptist disciples of Christ split away from?
Many of the congregations, not all, were formerly Beachy.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

ohio jones wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:45 am
mike wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:04 am What group did Anabaptist disciples of Christ split away from?
Many of the congregations, not all, were formerly Beachy.
That makes sense. The old Charity-style church in our area is supposedly considering joining up with them.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

An open question I have is differences between BMA and ADC.
1 x
mike

Post by mike »

Josh wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:09 pm An open question I have is differences between BMA and ADC.
If the local church here that is considering ADC is typical, my guess is that ADC is probably already more liberal than BMA and is headed further in that direction, and that BMA is more stable in theology and practice.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

Josh wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:09 pm An open question I have is differences between BMA and ADC.
ADC is more congregational and has a more "Beachy" feel..and is influenced by "kingdom" theology. BMA is more like a conference and is influenced by Reformed theology. And also "shorts." A few of BMA original churches "do shorts" on men...but no new congregations are allowed. There isn't such a proscription from ADC.
1 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

joshuabgood wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:48 pm
ADC is more congregational and has a more "Beachy" feel..and is influenced by "kingdom" theology. BMA is more like a conference and is influenced by Reformed theology. And also "shorts." A few of BMA original churches "do shorts" on men...but no new congregations are allowed. There isn't such a proscription from ADC.
Please describe how you would define 'congregational'. The reason I ask is because the MB conference congregations are more 'congregationalist' than anything I have seen in any Mennonite congregation here east of the Mississippi.

I understand and use the term 'congregationalist' as a type of church governance at the congregation level. That is, there isn't the strong 'ministry group control' that I see in the Swiss Brethren background groups here. Admittedly, my experience here is limited to Beachy Amish-Mennonite, one congregation in the 'Conservative Mennonite Conference' where we attended for 12 years (my wife as a member, I as a non-member - I was still MB) and our present congregation, which is a split from the BAM.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
mike

Post by mike »

Neto wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:51 pm I understand and use the term 'congregationalist' as a type of church governance at the congregation level. That is, there isn't the strong 'ministry group control' that I see in the Swiss Brethren background groups here.
I've always thought of congregational church government as there being no organizational structure beyond that of a local congregation.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

joshuabgood wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:48 pm
Interestingly, BMA has taken official stances against Reformed doctrine. But perhaps that’s just a sign of how much it’s creeping in.

Neto, I believe that “congregational” in the Dutch/“Russian” Anabaptist model is quite different from the typical Amish/Amish-Mennonite congregational model. There really needs to be unique words for each kind of thing.
1 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

re: What is 'Congregationalism'?

Decided to see what the 'intertubes' have to say.

Wikipedia:
Congregationalism (also Congregationalist churches or Congregational churches) is a Protestant, Reformed (Calvinist) tradition in which churches practice congregational government; where each congregation independently and autonomously runs its own affairs.
I never.

EDIT:
So, Looks like I have the wrong word. (But I would have taken this definition - other than the naming of Calvinism - be describe "congregational autonomy". I'll have to think of a different word for what I have always thought of as 'congregationalist'.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

Neto wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:44 pm re: What is 'Congregationalism'?

Decided to see what the 'intertubes' have to say.

Wikipedia:
Congregationalism (also Congregationalist churches or Congregational churches) is a Protestant, Reformed (Calvinist) tradition in which churches practice congregational government; where each congregation independently and autonomously runs its own affairs.
I never.

EDIT:
So, Looks like I have the wrong word. (But I would have taken this definition - other than the naming of Calvinism - be describe "congregational autonomy". I'll have to think of a different word for what I have always thought of as 'congregationalist'.)
The term is confusing, because it sounds like, and is sometimes used in, the way you describe.

But it is also the official name of a church "denomination". That denomination is basically what the Puritans formed when they moved to America. They didn't call themselves Puritans as a denominational label. Hence, in New England you'll see "First Congregational Church of So-and-So Town" but not "First Puritan Church of So-and-So Town".
0 x