Justice

General Christian Theology
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Justice

Post by Signtist »

What is justice? We often hear "justice needs to be served" or perhaps "she deserves justice." What exactly do we mean, and exactly how does that look? Does it look different if the victim of the injustice is alive vs deceased? It is my studied opinion that we have no idea what justice is, and furthermore it is impossible to serve justice in the case of a dead person. Mostly we are crying for revenge or punishment.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Justice

Post by RZehr »

I think I agree. We generally prefer and plead for mercy for ourselves. And then beat the justice drum for others.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Concepts of justice mostly flow from pagan, heathen systems centred around vengeance or else systems of control based on “might makes right”; some modern concepts of it are based on utilitarian ethics, which has a different set of problems.

To truly understand justice, though, we can simply read the Bible. God even gave us a perfect law code so that we can understand what is just.
0 x
Signtist

Post by Signtist »

Josh wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:01 pm

To truly understand justice, though, we can simply read the Bible. God even gave us a perfect law code so that we can understand what is just.
We have ample instruction for how to treat each other equitably. But what is the Biblical advice for when that code of ethics is broken?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Signtist wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:02 pm
Josh wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:01 pm

We have ample instruction for how to treat each other equitably. But what is the Biblical advice for when that code of ethics is broken?
It has a prescribed list of punishments, some of them quite severe. It also has avenues by which someone may seek mercy.
0 x
Signtist

Post by Signtist »

Ok, Josh. Do you have kids? I don't remember. Let's suppose you do, and one of your daughters gets raped, and you discover who it is. What does justice for your daughter look like?

Suppose one of your sons is murdered, and the killer is caught. What does justice for your dead son look like?
0 x
Signtist

Post by Signtist »

We all know what the Bible says about negligence causing death. Are you suggesting similar courses of action today?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Signtist wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:47 pm Ok, Josh. Do you have kids? I don't remember. Let's suppose you do, and one of your daughters gets raped, and you discover who it is. What does justice for your daughter look like?

Suppose one of your sons is murdered, and the killer is caught. What does justice for your dead son look like?
I use the Bible as my standard.

In the OT law, the general prescription for such was capital punishment. In order to deal with ongoing blood feuds, someone who had bloodguiltiness could self-exile to a city of refuge.

In the NT we are to forgive those who trespass against us. I do feel justice is important, and my concerns would be with:

#1, ensuring the perpetrator doesn’t go and make more victims

#2, taking steps to prevent the scenarios above from happening in the first place.

So, for example, I try to avoid putting myself in situations around murderers.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Signtist wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:19 pm We all know what the Bible says about negligence causing death. Are you suggesting similar courses of action today?
Do you think sinful man today somehow can come up with better justice than God himself did?
0 x
Signtist

Post by Signtist »

I'm actually trying to figure out your thinking. Because if we're supposed to obey the law, then obviously lethal self defense and death penalties are acceptable and you don't prescribe to that.

Prevention is certainly wise, but not everyone is going to be so fortunate as to avoid every criminals.
0 x