“Five-fold ministry”?

General Christian Theology
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: “Five-fold ministry”?

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

ohio jones wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:13 am
Neto wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:11 am How does the "Five-Fold" Gospel compare to the "Four Square" Gospel?
Foursquare refers to four aspects of Christ's ministry: Savior, Sanctifier (or in some versions Baptizer), Healer, and King.
The "trademark" of the group I was involved with for some thirty years, the Christian and Missionary Alliance. There was a split on the tongues/baptism in the Holy Spirit as separate from conversion. Some pentecostals substituted "baptizer" to reflect their view of tongues as an evidence of Holy Ghost baptism. The Keswick/Holiness camp kept sanctification in place, as they saw that as the second work of grace .

https://101.cmalliance.org/module-7/our-heritage/
0 x
:hug:
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:55 pm
ohio jones wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:13 am
Neto wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:11 am How does the "Five-Fold" Gospel compare to the "Four Square" Gospel?
Foursquare refers to four aspects of Christ's ministry: Savior, Sanctifier (or in some versions Baptizer), Healer, and King.
The "trademark" of the group I was involved with for some thirty years, the Christian and Missionary Alliance. There was a split on the tongues/baptism in the Holy Spirit as separate from conversion. Some pentecostals substituted "baptizer" to reflect their view of tongues as an evidence of Holy Ghost baptism. The Keswick/Holiness camp kept sanctification in place, as they saw that as the second work of grace .

https://101.cmalliance.org/module-7/our-heritage/
My own involvement with the C&MA was very brief compared to yours, consisting of 3 1/2 years at what is now called Crown College. I did not ever attend a C&MA church while attending there. At first I visited a number of "cutting edge" (ie, on the extreme side) Charismatic congregations, then attended an American Baptist (Swedish heritage) church until my second year there, when I had my own car, at which point I started attending an Evangelical Free congregation, partly because a course I was taking involved working personally with an area pastor. I liked it there, a small town country congregation, so I stayed there the rest of my time in Minnesota.

I've mentioned this before, but since it kind of explains some of this more, I'll say it again. I was not allowed to return to the Bible institute where I did my Freshman year, because of my personal experience with speaking in tongues, which was strictly forbidden there, in all forms (including silent prayer). I returned to that Bible institute at re-enrollment time, and met with the Dean of Men and the Academic dean, promising not to say anything about my experience or changed belief in that regard to anyone at all, unless directly questioned. They said that I could return if I would disavow my prior experience, and say that it was only "groaning within too deep for words", and not give it utterance, even in silent prayer. So my parents took me on up to Minnesota, to St Paul Bible college. (I had communicated with the person in charge of applications, and he had said that I was welcome to come there. However, he did NOT mean for me to come w/o having applied, which is what I did. I was allowed to attend classes, but would only receive credit upon later being accepted. That didn't happen until my second semester there. "Everyone" knew why I had come there, and I was fully accepted. No one ever challenged my experience with speaking in tongues, and was in fact somewhat "celebrated" as a sort of "martyr", which actually turned out to be a negative thing for me.

I should say, however, that my second year there a former professor from the Bible institute came to teach there, and I suspect he was against speaking in tongues, although if he knew why I had not returned to the first Bible college he never mentioned it. I also took other courses under him while at SPBC, worked with his wife in ministry assignment, and kept in touch with them during our entire time in missionary work.

My parents supported me through all of this (I'm not referring to financial support, although I did borrow funds from my Dad), as did my MB pastor.
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Neto wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:39 am
My own involvement with the C&MA was very brief compared to yours, consisting of 3 1/2 years at what is now called Crown College. I did not ever attend a C&MA church while attending there. At first I visited a number of "cutting edge" (ie, on the extreme side) Charismatic congregations, then attended an American Baptist (Swedish heritage) church until my second year there, when I had my own car, at which point I started attending an Evangelical Free congregation, partly because a course I was taking involved working personally with an area pastor. I liked it there, a small town country congregation, so I stayed there the rest of my time in Minnesota.

I've mentioned this before, but since it kind of explains some of this more, I'll say it again. I was not allowed to return to the Bible institute where I did my Freshman year, because of my personal experience with speaking in tongues, which was strictly forbidden there, in all forms (including silent prayer). I returned to that Bible institute at re-enrollment time, and met with the Dean of Men and the Academic dean, promising not to say anything about my experience or changed belief in that regard to anyone at all, unless directly questioned. They said that I could return if I would disavow my prior experience, and say that it was only "groaning within too deep for words", and not give it utterance, even in silent prayer. So my parents took me on up to Minnesota, to St Paul Bible college. (I had communicated with the person in charge of applications, and he had said that I was welcome to come there. However, he did NOT mean for me to come w/o having applied, which is what I did. I was allowed to attend classes, but would only receive credit upon later being accepted. That didn't happen until my second semester there. "Everyone" knew why I had come there, and I was fully accepted. No one ever challenged my experience with speaking in tongues, and was in fact somewhat "celebrated" as a sort of "martyr", which actually turned out to be a negative thing for me.

I should say, however, that my second year there a former professor from the Bible institute came to teach there, and I suspect he was against speaking in tongues, although if he knew why I had not returned to the first Bible college he never mentioned it. I also took other courses under him while at SPBC, worked with his wife in ministry assignment, and kept in touch with them during our entire time in missionary work.

My parents supported me through all of this (I'm not referring to financial support, although I did borrow funds from my Dad), as did my MB pastor.
In retrospect, it seems that the Holy Spirit set you on a different course so that you were able to take the Gospel to the Banawa. Alleluia.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

MaxPC wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:03 pm

In retrospect, it seems that the Holy Spirit set you on a different course so that you were able to take the Gospel to the Banawa. Alleluia.
The part that really relates to that is that we had co-workers there (Brazilians) who were Pentecostals. If I had still held to my previous idea, that tongues beyond the early church era was the devil's work, we would not have been able to work together there in the harmony of the Gospel.
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Neto wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:14 am
MaxPC wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:03 pm

The part that really relates to that is that we had co-workers there (Brazilians) who were Pentecostals. If I had still held to my previous idea, that tongues beyond the early church era was the devil's work, we would not have been able to work together there in the harmony of the Gospel.
God perfects all things if we listen to the direction of the Holy Spirit. I think your life is an outstanding example of that.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God