Russia Invades Ukraine 2022

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Russia Invades Ukraine 2022

Post by temporal1 »

temporal1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:26 pm “Pope says Ukraine should have 'courage of the white flag' of negotiations”
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/po ... 024-03-09/

“Ukraine rejects pope’s call to ‘raise the white flag’ to end Russia’s war”
The Catholic leader, 87, told a Swiss broadcaster that Ukraine should negotiate with Russia and raised the idea of surrender.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/3/1 ... ith-russia

i wish Z had had the foresight to accept DJT’s advice to “find a way” to negotiate with Russia.
He chose to follow the “siren’s song” of the Left West. Promises, promises.

He+Ukraine might have been better off in every way.
Pope Francis would not be counseling about the courage of white flags.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:20 pm
temporal1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:26 pm “Pope says Ukraine should have 'courage of the white flag' of negotiations”
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/po ... 024-03-09/

“Ukraine rejects pope’s call to ‘raise the white flag’ to end Russia’s war”
The Catholic leader, 87, told a Swiss broadcaster that Ukraine should negotiate with Russia and raised the idea of surrender.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/3/1 ... ith-russia

i wish Z had had the foresight to accept DJT’s advice to “find a way” to negotiate with Russia.
He chose to follow the “siren’s song” of the Left West. Promises, promises.

He+Ukraine might have been better off in every way.
Pope Francis would not be counseling about the courage of white flags.
Why isn't the pope telling Russia to raise the white flag and go home?

In any event, It isn't Ukraine that is rejecting anything. It is Russia. This is from Russian State TV today

0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I think the point, Ken, is that the government of Ukraine isn’t in any position to make demands. If you’re badly losing, you can’t really demand your opponent surrender.

It looks like Ukraine plans to fight down to the last man. I expect the outcome of this to be a lot of dead bodies and bombed out cities.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:14 pm I think the point, Ken, is that the government of Ukraine isn’t in any position to make demands. If you’re badly losing, you can’t really demand your opponent surrender.

It looks like Ukraine plans to fight down to the last man. I expect the outcome of this to be a lot of dead bodies and bombed out cities.
So the pope's ideology is that "might makes right?"

Which doesn't seem very Christian of him. Or is the Vatican taking Russian money under the table or something? Or maybe he is just ignoring Russia because he knows Russia is just laughing at him.

Because it is pathetic to call for the victim of international aggression to wave a white flag while not condemning or demanding the reversal of the aggression that led to the conflict in the first place. All the pope has is a moral platform. He is squandering it away by turning a blind eye to naked aggression.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

At age 87, few men bother with mincing words.
He counseled Z from his position as Pope. He’s not campaigning for anyone’s vote. It’s up to Z to take it or leave it.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:45 pm
Josh wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:14 pm I think the point, Ken, is that the government of Ukraine isn’t in any position to make demands. If you’re badly losing, you can’t really demand your opponent surrender.

Which doesn't seem very Christian of him. Or is the Vatican taking Russian money under the table or something? Or maybe he is just ignoring Russia because he knows Russia is just laughing at him.

Because it is pathetic to call for the victim of international aggression to wave a white flag while not condemning or demanding the reversal of the aggression that led to the conflict in the first place. All the pope has is a moral platform. He is squandering it away by turning a blind eye to naked aggression.
Exactly what good does it do to demand Russia do anything?
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:18 pm

What good does it do to demand anyone do anything? Why do we care what the pope says or thinks about anything? Either he speaks from a position of moral authority or he doesn't.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:46 pm
Josh wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:18 pm

What good does it do to demand anyone do anything? Why do we care what the pope says or thinks about anything? Either he speaks from a position of moral authority or he doesn't.
He doesn’t.

He might be right here or there occasionally on an issue, but moral authority, no.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

RZehr wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:02 am He doesn’t.
He might be right here or there occasionally on an issue, but moral authority, no.
i’m not sure why all the emotion over the Pope’s counsel.
He has a right to his opinion, even counsel, why not?

It’s up to Zelensky to respond or not. i believe the counsel was given in sincerity.

the response of outsiders strikes me as bizarre.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:34 am
RZehr wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:02 am He doesn’t.
i’m not sure why all the emotion over the Pope’s counsel.
He has a right to his opinion, even counsel, why not?

It’s up to Zelensky to respond or not. i believe the counsel was given in sincerity.

the response of outsiders strikes me as bizarre.
No, it isn't up to Zelensky to respond or not. One side cannot negotiate with itself. And Russia has shown absolutely no interest in negotiation or peaceful settlement of the war.

The pope is just diminishing whatever moral authority he has by not recognizing that fact and giving Russia a "free pass" while lecturing Ukraine.
0 x