College Turmoil

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: College Turmoil

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:43 am
Ken wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:35 pm Here's one university and university administrator who doesn't seem to be following the rest

That is what Ivy League sounds like to the South.
Yet they all want their kids to go there. When I taught in Texas there were just as many obsessive parents trying to get their kids into one of the Ivies as anyplace else in the US.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Fast forward to: 16:30 Israel-Hamas, U.S. university leadership :arrow:

BREAKING NEWS: Top Pollster Reveals First Impact Of Colorado Supreme Court Trump Ruling With Voters / 23min

Diane Brady
https://www.forbes.com/sites/dianebrady/

Frank Luntz
https://www.concordia.net/community/frank-luntz/

Words that Work by Frank Luntz
https://www.nateliason.com/notes/words-work-frank-luntz
Summary Notes
It’s not what you say, it’s what people hear.

You can have the best message in the world, but the person on the receiving end will always understand it through the prism of his or her own emotions, preconceptions, prejudices, and preexisting beliefs.”

“Words that work, whether fiction or reality, not only explain but also motivate.
They cause you to think as well as act.
They trigger emotion as well as understanding.”

Ten rules for successful communication:

Simplicty: Use small words
Brevity: Use short sentences
Credibility is as important as philosophy
Consistency matters
Novelty: Offer something news
Sound and texture matters
Speak aspirationally, people forget what you say but not how you made them feel
Visualize, the word “imagine” is an incredibly powerful tool
Ask a question, help them reach the point on their own
Provide context and explain relevance .. ..
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

I see they finally got to her. Resigned - keeps her $900,000/year salary, though.

0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

mike wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:12 am I see they finally got to her. Resigned - keeps her $900,000/year salary, though.

https://twitter

Claudine Gay resigns: Read Harvard president's full resignation letter
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/edu ... 094670007/
https://www.harvard.edu/president/news/ ... onal-news/
Personal News
Dear Members of the Harvard Community,

It is with a heavy heart but a deep love for Harvard that I write to share that I will be stepping down as president. This is not a decision I came to easily. Indeed, it has been difficult beyond words because I have looked forward to working with so many of you to advance the commitment to academic excellence that has propelled this great university across centuries. But, after consultation with members of the Corporation, it has become clear that it is in the best interests of Harvard for me to resign so that our community can navigate this moment of extraordinary challenge with a focus on the institution rather than any individual.

It is a singular honor to be a member of this university, which has been my home and my inspiration for most of my professional career. My deep sense of connection to Harvard and its people has made it all the more painful to witness the tensions and divisions that have riven our community in recent months, weakening the bonds of trust and reciprocity that should be our sources of strength and support in times of crisis. Amidst all of this, it has been distressing to have doubt cast on my commitments to confronting hate and to upholding scholarly rigor—two bedrock values that are fundamental to who I am—and frightening to be subjected to personal attacks and threats fueled by racial animus.

I believe in the people of Harvard because I see in you the possibility and the promise of a better future. These last weeks have helped make clear the work we need to do to build that future—to combat bias and hate in all its forms, to create a learning environment in which we respect each other’s dignity and treat one another with compassion, and to affirm our enduring commitment to open inquiry and free expression in the pursuit of truth. I believe we have within us all that we need to heal from this period of tension and division and to emerge stronger. I had hoped with all my heart to lead us on that journey, in partnership with all of you.
As I now return to the faculty, and to the scholarship and teaching that are the lifeblood of what we do, I pledge to continue working alongside you to build the community we all deserve.

When I became president, I considered myself particularly blessed by the opportunity to serve people from around the world who saw in my presidency a vision of Harvard that affirmed their sense of belonging—their sense that Harvard welcomes people of talent and promise, from every background imaginable, to learn from and grow with one another. To all of you, please know that those doors remain open, and Harvard will be stronger and better because they do.

As we welcome a new year and a new semester, I hope we can all look forward to brighter days. Sad as I am to be sending this message, my hopes for Harvard remain undimmed. When my brief presidency is remembered, I hope it will be seen as a moment of reawakening to the importance of striving to find our common humanity—and of not allowing rancor and vituperation to undermine the vital process of education. I trust we will all find ways, in this time of intense challenge and controversy, to recommit ourselves to the excellence, the openness, and the independence that are crucial to what our university stands for—and to our capacity to serve the world.

Sincerely,
Claudine Gay
Privileged.

i live near a large state university.
no one in higher ranks leaves without a large purse, or, as in Magill’s and Gay’s cases, THEY AREN’T LEAVING.

Gay got into trouble reciting her assigned script, her letter above reeks of continuing that pattern. FOR PERSONAL GAIN.
did she compose her letter of demotion? her negotiated “demotion.” $$$$ (her initial response to requests of reisgnation were that she would sue.)

this shakeup should mark the beginning of massive shakeups. will it?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

What do they say about people who live in glass house? https://www.businessinsider.com/bill-ac ... ism-2024-1
Billionaire hedge fund manager and major Harvard donor Bill Ackman seized on revelations that Harvard president Claudine Gay had plagiarized some passages in her academic work to underscore his calls for her removal following what he perceived as her mishandling of large protests against Israel’s bombardment of Gaza on Harvard’s campus.

An analysis by Business Insider found a similar pattern of plagiarism by Ackman’s wife Neri Oxman, who became a tenured professor at MIT in 2017.

Oxman plagiarized multiple paragraphs of her 2010 doctoral dissertation, Business Insider found, including at least one passage directly lifted from other writers without citation.

Her husband Ackman has taken a hardline stance on plagiarism. On Wednesday, responding to news that Gay will remain a part of Harvard’s faculty after she resigned as president, he wrote on X that Gay should be fired completely due to “serious plagiarism issues.”
And it isn't just academia. There are members of the Supreme Court who should be resigning in shame as well: https://www.newsweek.com/neil-gorsuch-p ... ote-579728

0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Gorsuch was working as a judge and published a book; he wasn't an academic or publishing in peer-reviewed journals. Not the same thing as Claudine Gay.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:32 am Gorsuch was working as a judge and published a book; he wasn't an academic or publishing in peer-reviewed journals. Not the same thing as Claudine Gay.
Not according to the experts:
“Each of the individual incidents constitutes a violation of academic ethics. I’ve never seen a college plagiarism code that this would not be in violation of,” said Rebecca Moore Howard, a Syracuse University professor who has written extensively on the issue.

Elizabeth Berenguer, an associate professor of law at Campbell Law School, said that under legal or academic standards Gorsuch’s similarities to the Indiana Law Journal would be investigated “as a potential violation of our plagiarism policy. It’s similar enough to the original work.”

“I would apply an academic writing standard,” said Berenguer, who teaches plagiarism and legal writing. “Even if it were a legal opinion, it would be plagiarism under either.”
The word you are looking for is "double-standard"

And, of course, Bill Ackerman's wife is an MIT professor so clearly an academic. When will he demand her resignation? I'm not holding my breath on that one.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

I agree Bill Ackerman is being highly hypocritical and his wife has committed plagiarism; it was in actual academic papers and she keeps citing her credentials over the past few years.

Now, I know someone who keeps getting fired from jobs. How can he get a job where he can get a $900,000 salary, fake everything, then get fired and keep his $900,000 salary? It is interesting how Ms Gay has somehow managed to be “indirectly” and literally collect almost a million dollars a year for doing nothing.
1 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ken wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:13 am What do they say about people who live in glass house? https://www.businessinsider.com/bill-ac ... ism-2024-1
Billionaire hedge fund manager and major Harvard donor Bill Ackman seized on revelations that Harvard president Claudine Gay had plagiarized some passages in her academic work to underscore his calls for her removal following what he perceived as her mishandling of large protests against Israel’s bombardment of Gaza on Harvard’s campus.

An analysis by Business Insider found a similar pattern of plagiarism by Ackman’s wife Neri Oxman, who became a tenured professor at MIT in 2017.

Oxman plagiarized multiple paragraphs of her 2010 doctoral dissertation, Business Insider found, including at least one passage directly lifted from other writers without citation.

Her husband Ackman has taken a hardline stance on plagiarism. On Wednesday, responding to news that Gay will remain a part of Harvard’s faculty after she resigned as president, he wrote on X that Gay should be fired completely due to “serious plagiarism issues.”
And it isn't just academia. There are members of the Supreme Court who should be resigning in shame as well: https://www.newsweek.com/neil-gorsuch-p ... ote-579728

I will assume the blue part is what is in question. The rest is footnoted. Possible both authors used the same source, therefore the similarities in the non blue sections. That description is not one unique to that paper, if someone asked me to describe that condition, I would say the exact thing, so would anyone else who has had any sort of medical education.

This is the trouble with AI based plagiarism detection, it finds plagiarism that really is not there.
1 x
:hug:
Josh

Post by Josh »

AIs can't even detect if an essay was written by an AI or not (which is becoming a serious problem in academic publication and even for undergrad papers and essays).
1 x