Coronavirus Outbreak

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Coronavirus Outbreak

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:30 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:41 pm We don't have to remember anything. We can look at the actual evidence. Research into the use of both Ivermectin and Hydroxychloroquine for COVID has continued to this day. And we are finally getting large-scale fully randomized double-blind studies on the efficacy of both. Guess what? The doubters were actually correct and those promoting those remedies were actually the ones lying. These are the two largest double-blind studies on both remedies and both have been published in the past year or so. They found ZERO benefit from Ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine relative to a placebo. ZERO.

So doctors and hospitals were absolutely correct not to prescribe either therapy. Just like they were correct not to recommend patients drink bleach either.

You have to actually do double-blind studies to determine the efficacy of a therapy because the vast majority of people who catch COVID get better anyway. So anecdotal evidence or small-scale non-randomized studies are useless, or even less than useless because they imply a benefit that is not there.
Interesting so what you’re saying is that we have to actually do large scale studies to determine if it works or does not work. Yet it was decried as not working well before the studies were even started. I’m not saying that they work on Covid, but on a cellular level both do. The doctors that were decrying these treatments were not decrying based on large scale studies.
Just like the doctors saying we should do it, neither actually had factual evidence yet both sides insisted they were right. I think that you should be a little less hasty about saying the early statements and stances these places took were based on science. The science wasn’t done yet. In essence both sides were making a hypothesis. Perhaps now we see the fruit of that. And perhaps both sides continue to argue.
Medical experts and the FDA didn't claim that Ivermectin and HCL didn't work. They stated CORRECTLY that there was insufficient evidence to recommend them as safe and effective COVID therapies.

The tricky thing with diseases like COVID is that the vast majority of people don't die, they get better regardless of whatever treatment they get. During the first year of the epidemic before vaccines, a quick bit of googling tells me that COVID had a mortality rate of about 1.7%. So out of 1,000 people who catch COVID, 17 of them will die and 983 will recover. And most of those 17 who die will be elderly and/or with pre-existing conditions of some sort.

So if you catch COVID I can tell you to do anything at all. I can tell you to to gargle 2 shots of whisky nightly, touch your nose, click your heels three times and say "there's no place like home" or sleep with a garland of garlic around your neck and guess what? There is a 98.3% chance it will work and you will get better. And if you aren't already sick or elderly the chances of any of those therapies working is much better than 98.3%. They will be near 100% effective. And sure, you can go on Twitter or YouTube and shout about your new garlic cure for COVID. But that doesn't actually mean it works. Even though you might have a ton of anecdotal evidence of people using your garlic cure and then recovering from COVID.

To actually test any of your folk remedies you need to do a large scale double-blind study to see if your remedy does better than the placebo. Because the death rate was so low you need to do a large scale double-blind study for it to have any statistical relevance. And when those were finally done with Ivermectin and HCL it was found that both were absolutely no better than doing nothing. In other words, they had no effect.

As for what the authorities actually said about Ivermectin back during the pandemic? Let's go straight to the horse's mouth so to speak. This is what the FDA actually said about Ivermectin back in 2021 (highlighting mine). Which was entirely accurate back then and remains accurate today: https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer- ... t-covid-19

1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:39 pm Medical experts and the FDA didn't claim that Ivermectin and HCL didn't work. They stated CORRECTLY that there was insufficient evidence to recommend them as safe and effective COVID therapies.
Actually, they implied that only animals took Ivermectin. Doctors had their state licenses suspended for either prescribing either or casting shade on the vaccine.

Either way, my point is that both sides remember a different story. It’s like the pope thing…something is said mocking but they say then that studies are ongoing.
We don’t see the same rigor applied to remdesivir or even the vaccines. If the same rigor was applied, why are we only now “after” the pandemic finding out that ivermectin isn’t effective? Where is the large scale double blind study for the vaccine? Oh wait… that’s not ethical to do.
I don’t honestly care, but propaganda you post isn’t any different then what Robert posted.
These so called experts have lied over fetal cells many times and I see no reason to believe they didn’t mislead here to… paternalism.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ken

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:40 am
Ken wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:39 pm Medical experts and the FDA didn't claim that Ivermectin and HCL didn't work. They stated CORRECTLY that there was insufficient evidence to recommend them as safe and effective COVID therapies.
Actually, they implied that only animals took Ivermectin. Doctors had their state licenses suspended for either prescribing either or casting shade on the vaccine.

Either way, my point is that both sides remember a different story. It’s like the pope thing…something is said mocking but they say then that studies are ongoing.
We don’t see the same rigor applied to remdesivir or even the vaccines. If the same rigor was applied, why are we only now “after” the pandemic finding out that ivermectin isn’t effective? Where is the large scale double blind study for the vaccine? Oh wait… that’s not ethical to do.
I don’t honestly care, but propaganda you post isn’t any different then what Robert posted.
These so called experts have lied over fetal cells many times and I see no reason to believe they didn’t mislead here to… paternalism.
Individual doctors did all manner of things during COVID. I remember an actual doctor at a congressional hearing claiming that the vaccine turned her magnetic.

But the official FDA position during the height of the Ivermectin fad during 2021 was exactly as I cited. I gave you the link to their 2021 position and quoted it.

As for physicians getting their licenses suspended. Every case of that of which I'm familiar was for reasons that went well beyond simply prescribing Ivermectin. For example here in Washington:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... vermectin/
https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/yakima ... LPQ3BKDG4/

Let me ask you this. COVID aside, what do you think is the actual purpose, duties, and responsibility of state medical boards? And what standards should they follow?
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:27 am
Individual doctors did all manner of things during COVID. I remember an actual doctor at a congressional hearing claiming that the vaccine turned her magnetic.
I did enjoy that one.
But the official FDA position during the height of the Ivermectin fad during 2021 was exactly as I cited. I gave you the link to their 2021 position and quoted it.
Nothing I said is incorrect either and was also out of their official statements.
As for physicians getting their licenses suspended. Every case of that of which I'm familiar was for reasons that went well beyond simply prescribing Ivermectin. For example here in Washington:

I heard of several.

Let me ask you this. COVID aside, what do you think is the actual purpose, duties, and responsibility of state medical boards? And what standards should they follow?
Do you admit they advocated for treatments and preventive methods that were not proven through double blind studies?

The state medical boards are a political institution. They should base their stance on the academic research but there is complexity there. To argue they are somehow immune to the political winds which blow and based purely on science is denying the reality we see in the numerous states.
There is no sound academic science supporting transgender medicine outcomes, there is no sound science supporting cloth masking, there is no sound science supporting many of the policies that were made. Yet these medical boards acted accordingly to their political leanings and continue to do so.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:51 am
Ken wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:27 am
I did enjoy that one.
Nothing I said is incorrect either and was also out of their official statements.

I heard of several.

Do you admit they advocated for treatments and preventive methods that were not proven through double blind studies?

The state medical boards are a political institution. They should base their stance on the academic research but there is complexity there. To argue they are somehow immune to the political winds which blow and based purely on science is denying the reality we see in the numerous states.
There is no sound academic science supporting transgender medicine outcomes, there is no sound science supporting cloth masking, there is no sound science supporting many of the policies that were made. Yet these medical boards acted accordingly to their political leanings and continue to do so.
You are mixing up a variety of different topics that have different standards.

Prescription drugs are evaluated and approved according to different standards than other preventative methods such as handwashing, distancing, masks, HVAC filtration systems, and so forth. There is a different standard for approval of a specific medication versus a recommendation to wash your hands.

As for transgender therapies? As far as I know, all the drugs in question have undergone rigorous evaluation for safety and effectiveness and there hasn't been any shortcuts in their approval process. Do you have information that the FDA has evaluated and approved hormone therapies according to different safety and effectiveness standards than those used for cancer or hypertension or anything else?
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:46 am You are mixing up a variety of different topics that have different standards.

Prescription drugs are evaluated and approved according to different standards than other preventative methods such as handwashing, distancing, masks, HVAC filtration systems, and so forth. There is a different standard for approval of a specific medication versus a recommendation to wash your hands.

As for transgender therapies? As far as I know, all the drugs in question have undergone rigorous evaluation for safety and effectiveness and there hasn't been any shortcuts in their approval process. Do you have information that the FDA has evaluated and approved hormone therapies according to different safety and effectiveness standards than those used for cancer or hypertension or anything else?
I suspect you do know that the medical boards touch on each of the subjects I mentioned. I was not mixing subjects but making a point on how they are influenced by politics.
You should know what I refer to with transgender and medical boards, if you don’t, compare the responses from Florida to say California.
These things are all covered by the medical boards determining “best” practice and current recommended guidelines for clinical care. You shouldn’t be ignorant of these things with your wife in Medicine.
The point still stands.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:56 am
Ken wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:46 am You are mixing up a variety of different topics that have different standards.

I suspect you do know that the medical boards touch on each of the subjects I mentioned. I was not mixing subjects but making a point on how they are influenced by politics.
You should know what I refer to with transgender and medical boards, if you don’t, compare the responses from Florida to say California.
These things are all covered by the medical boards determining “best” practice and current recommended guidelines for clinical care. You shouldn’t be ignorant of these things with your wife in Medicine.
The point still stands.
I am, of course, aware that politics has seeped into transgender care, especially in many southern and red states where politicians have attempted to substitute their own judgement and restrict or outlaw the use of those medications. That is most definitely the intrusion of politics into medicine. And the Florida medical board is certainly the most egregious example of the politicization of medicine, not only on that topic but also the subject of COVID where DeSantis' hand-picked political lackeys have made all manner of recommendations that fly in the face of science and scientific evidence. For example: https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-p ... d-vaccine/
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:58 pm I am, of course, aware that politics has seeped into transgender care, especially in many southern and red states where politicians have attempted to substitute their own judgement and restrict or outlaw the use of those medications. That is most definitely the intrusion of politics into medicine. And the Florida medical board is certainly the most egregious example of the politicization of medicine, not only on that topic but also the subject of COVID where DeSantis' hand-picked political lackeys have made all manner of recommendations that fly in the face of science and scientific evidence. For example: https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-p ... d-vaccine/
The same is true in states recommending hormonal therapy for minors. It’s not based on scientific evidence with any reasonable longitudinal data. It directly causes harm to reproductive ability. You have expressed your bias clearly before but try to consider that your phrase in bold is true the other way around.
Again, the point is well illustrated by your own words. Politicization only matters if it doesn’t go in favor of your position. Which again circles back to the very point.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:12 pm
Ken wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:58 pm I am, of course, aware that politics has seeped into transgender care, especially in many southern and red states where politicians have attempted to substitute their own judgement and restrict or outlaw the use of those medications. That is most definitely the intrusion of politics into medicine. And the Florida medical board is certainly the most egregious example of the politicization of medicine, not only on that topic but also the subject of COVID where DeSantis' hand-picked political lackeys have made all manner of recommendations that fly in the face of science and scientific evidence. For example: https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-p ... d-vaccine/
The same is true in states recommending hormonal therapy for minors. It’s not based on scientific evidence with any reasonable longitudinal data. It directly causes harm to reproductive ability. You have expressed your bias clearly before but try to consider that your phrase in bold is true the other way around.
Again, the point is well illustrated by your own words. Politicization only matters if it doesn’t go in favor of your position. Which again circles back to the very point.
I think there actually is a great deal of scientific evidence that hormone therapy works as advertised. Doctors who recommend it for transgender care do so knowing that it does work. And patients who take it know this as well, and are also informed of side effects. Just like with any other medication.

If I have a bias it is towards freedom and personal autonomy. I think people should be free to pursue the medical treatments that they wish to. Whether it is Ivermectin or hormone therapy. And when it comes to minors we should generally defer to the decisions of parents with accommodation for older minors to seek partial or full emancipation to make their own medical decisions if they can demonstrate the maturity to do so. I think there is a high bar for the state to intervene and prohibit a free people from making their own decisions. So, for example, I think people should be free to take Ivermectin if they want, or treat COVID with herbal teas, or wrap garlands of garlic around their necks. Whether or not they are FDA approved therapies. They should be informed of the actual science and possible side effects. But should not be prohibited from making their own choices. Likewise, people who are transgender should be free to pursue their own medical therapies without government interference. And yes, including older minors with parental consent or even without parental consent through established processes of emancipation.

That is different from regulatory bodies like medical boards who are actually regulating doctors not patients. Medical boards are not involved in prohibiting patients from taking anything. They regulate the standards of care undertaken by doctors. And it is their job to establish professional standards and to ensure that those standards are upheld. And yes, politics on both the left and right should stay out of it.
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:53 pm I think there actually is a great deal of scientific evidence that hormone therapy works as advertised. Doctors who recommend it for transgender care do so knowing that it does work. And patients who take it know this as well, and are also informed of side effects. Just like with any other medication.
You word this very carefully. I never said it didn’t work to cause changes. I said it causes reproductive issues. Some states have restricted this under the same logic as not being able to vote or enlist in the military. If an adult wishes to take hormonal therapy, that is their business.
The issues are with time, regret, permanent damage, permanent medical dependency and as I said, there isn’t the data supporting reduction in suicide risk nor is there longitudinal studies.
When was the last time the doctor informed you of all the risks of a specific antibiotic? If you are honest, you know this doesn’t always happen and some places are very poor at educating children on life long risks that come from taking hormones. We don’t even have good data sets for long term risks for long term users, just vague things.
This is besides the point and diverting the focus. Medical boards do and have determined recommended treatments and will censor for deviation. I don’t see a point in arguing with you further as you keep changing and diverting down bunny trails.
They should be informed of the actual science and possible side effects
Yet you keep side stepping the point that this wasn’t done.
That is different from regulatory bodies like medical boards who are actually regulating doctors not patients. Medical boards are not involved in prohibiting patients from taking anything. They regulate the standards of care undertaken by doctors. And it is their job to establish professional standards and to ensure that those standards are upheld.
That is where you are wrong. Read the rest after the bold, it’s self explanatory.
0 x