If you were Israel's Prime Minister, how would you respond?

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
MattY
Affiliation: Beachy

Re: If you were Israel's Prime Minister, how would you respond?

Post by MattY »

To return to the question, what would you do if you were Israel's prime minister? I think the answer is indicated in Netanyahu's statement, "Hamas is ISIS". Hamas has chosen to act like ISIS, and so Israel will treat Hamas the way the US and Iraqi allies treated ISIS. How will they identify Hamas? Basically if someone is shooting at them, shoot back, probably. ISIS was defeated in Iraq, in a much larger geographic area than the Gaza Strip, but also in intense urban warfare, especially in Mosul.

What will this mean for Gaza and Israel? This NYT article from a lawyer who served in Iraq should help answer that question.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/12/opin ... Y1sFjVn27_
Spencer called the widespread destruction inflicted by precise weapons the “precision paradox.” I’ve also heard it described as spiderwebbing. Imagine if you have 10 ISIS fighters in one building. Iraqi forces call in an airstrike, and U.S. forces hit the building with a missile or bomb, but it doesn’t kill every fighter in the building. The remaining fighters scatter to two or three nearby buildings, which are then precisely targeted by additional munitions. The result is a form of slow-motion demolition, in which each strike might be quite precise but the cumulative effect can eventually make the city look as if it had been carpet-bombed.
He also discusses the widely misunderstood principle of proportionality (it doesn't require Israel to use the same degree of force or take the same amount of casualties), and also the principle of distinction, which requires soldiers to stand out from civilians by wearing uniforms or by fighting from marked military vehicles. Hamas, by contrast, commits war crimes by wearing civilian clothing and attacking from civilian buildings and civilian vehicles. That makes Hamas responsible, according to international law, for the civilian damage that results.

What of Mosul today, 6 years later? It's slowly recovering. One might hope, if it's under the administration of a wealthy state like Israel, and getting probably lots of international attention - I assume it will get more than Mosul gets today, because of it's location and unique plight - it will also get more aid than Mosul and hopefully get rebuilt quicker once this is all over.

https://www.msf.org/mosul-iraq-slow-roa ... wo-springs
0 x
Almighty, most holy God
Faithful through the ages
Almighty, most holy Lord
Glorious, almighty God
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Bootstrap wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:39 am
HondurasKeiser wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:08 pm
mike wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:02 pm And the role of England, in your view?
And the League of Nations...
Suppose England and the League of Nations took parts of the United States and gave it to the Houtos people. Including some of our homes.

Now suppose the Houtos people took over a bunch more of the United States, illegally according to both England and the League of Nations. Killing a lot of Americans in the process.

Then suppose that some Americans hate the guts of the Houtos people. They didn't before these things happened. They do now. Would you say that taking our land had something to do with the hate? Some people are saying there is no connection. I suspect there is.
Your analogy also fails because, as Ken already recounted, the Palestinians have never controlled that area. There has never been a sovereign, independent Palestine.
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Bootstrap wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:09 pm
Valerie wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:58 am
Bootstrap wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:09 pm

I don't think that's true. Arab attitudes toward Jews were quite different before Jews started taking over the land that Arabs lived in and evicted them from their homelands. And committing more atrocities toward Arabs will not reduce the level of anti-Semitism.
It is true.
FBI came out yesterday with warnings that similar attacks may happen in the USA. Reasons they are ra.ping up security.
Are you responding to what I said? Yes, some Arabs want to wipe out Jews. They didn't before Israel took away land from the Palestinians. That makes me think this has a LOT to do with the land.

And the FBI is warning about anti-Muslim and anti-Semitic extremism, not just anti-Semitic extremism. Like the six-year-old boy who was fatally stabbed by his landlord, together with his mother who was stabbed, but not fatally. This kind of hatred is dangerous, period, on both sides.

Which is why I am asking about military objectives. What should Netanyahu's military objectives be? Bombing hospitals doesn't buy you a lot of security. It does buy you a lot of enmity. So did Hamas' atrocities. More atrocities doesn't erase the atrocities that have already happened.
Valerie wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:58 amHave you seen rhe thousands of illegals caught at our southern border from the Arab nations with terrorists? Young men? Why? They hVe quite a list of numbers for ones they caught. What about all the 'gotaways' that weren't caught. Why so many men from these countries entering in the USA 'open' border?
I really don't see that happening. Have any terrorist acts been committed by people who slipped in via the Southern Border? I do think that's a potential danger, but I haven't seen a lot of terrorism that worked that way.

Foreign terrorist organizations are mostly working with "home-grown" American terrorists. They are radicalizing them online. That's easier. And in America, most terrorism has been associated with white supremacists, not Muslim jihadists. So if we think terrorism is the real problem, we should be consider all terrorism, including terrorism done by American citizens.
Bootstrap. Whether YOU see it happening or not, doesn't mean what they are reporting is not true. Maybe you miss some reports. Maybe more liberal news outlets are hiding statistics if the thousands of illegal crossing of men from Arab nations because it makes this administration look really bad for putting Americans at great risk by having open borders. I don't know. But your lack of seeing the statistics does not make it untrue. Because I've had 2 weeks now to see the #s they've given exact counts of each nation of origin of those they've apprehended. 150 plus were men that were actually on the terror watch list. Why do YOU think they are sneaking over the border? If countries like Iran call America "Big Satan" and Israel "Little Satan" you can bet this is not just about the land.

Perhaps understanding radical Islam & the 12th Imam would help you understand there's more than just land involved. Radical Islam has their own (false) prophecies they believe are to be fulfilled. Maybe it would behoove you to listen to former Muslims that converted to Christianity that can enlighten us the "real" intentions of Islam.
0 x
AndersonD
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by AndersonD »

Valerie wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:09 am
Valerie wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:58 am

It is true.
FBI came out yesterday with warnings that similar attacks may happen in the USA. Reasons they are ra.ping up security.
Are you responding to what I said? Yes, some Arabs want to wipe out Jews. They didn't before Israel took away land from the Palestinians. That makes me think this has a LOT to do with the land.

And the FBI is warning about anti-Muslim and anti-Semitic extremism, not just anti-Semitic extremism. Like the six-year-old boy who was fatally stabbed by his landlord, together with his mother who was stabbed, but not fatally. This kind of hatred is dangerous, period, on both sides.

Which is why I am asking about military objectives. What should Netanyahu's military objectives be? Bombing hospitals doesn't buy you a lot of security. It does buy you a lot of enmity. So did Hamas' atrocities. More atrocities doesn't erase the atrocities that have already happened.
Valerie wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:58 amHave you seen rhe thousands of illegals caught at our southern border from the Arab nations with terrorists? Young men? Why? They hVe quite a list of numbers for ones they caught. What about all the 'gotaways' that weren't caught. Why so many men from these countries entering in the USA 'open' border?
I really don't see that happening. Have any terrorist acts been committed by people who slipped in via the Southern Border? I do think that's a potential danger, but I haven't seen a lot of terrorism that worked that way.

Foreign terrorist organizations are mostly working with "home-grown" American terrorists. They are radicalizing them online. That's easier. And in America, most terrorism has been associated with white supremacists, not Muslim jihadists. So if we think terrorism is the real problem, we should be consider all terrorism, including terrorism done by American citizens.
Bootstrap. Whether YOU see it happening or not, doesn't mean what they are reporting is not true. Maybe you miss some reports. Maybe more liberal news outlets are hiding statistics if the thousands of illegal crossing of men from Arab nations because it makes this administration look really bad for putting Americans at great risk by having open borders. I don't know. But your lack of seeing the statistics does not make it untrue. Because I've had 2 weeks now to see the #s they've given exact counts of each nation of origin of those they've apprehended. 150 plus were men that were actually on the terror watch list. Why do YOU think they are sneaking over the border? If countries like Iran call America "Big Satan" and Israel "Little Satan" you can bet this is not just about the land.

Perhaps understanding radical Islam & the 12th Imam would help you understand there's more than just land involved. Radical Islam has their own (false) prophecies they believe are to be fulfilled. Maybe it would behoove you to listen to former Muslims that converted to Christianity that can enlighten us the "real" intentions of Islam.
I was not aware Valerie of Arabs crossing the Southern border. Are they flying to Mexico??? And then trying to cross over? Please post your sources.
1 x
Only an Anz
Affiliation: ex-Eastern

Post by Only an Anz »

How exactly would one be CA and also the PM of, well any country?
3 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Only an Anz wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:45 am How exactly would one be CA and also the PM of, well any country?
Spot on.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

AndersonD wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:21 am

I was not aware Valerie of Arabs crossing the Southern border. Are they flying to Mexico??? And then trying to cross over? Please post your sources.
I rook a picture of the t.v. screen from the news report but I can't seem to post it here so I will post the numbers:

SPECIAL INTEREST ALIEN APPREHENSIONS
Afganistan: 6,386
Egypt: 3,153
Iran: 659
Jordan: 185
Leban: 164
Jordan:185
Lebanon: 164
Mauritania: 15,594
Pakistan 1,613
Syria:538
Turkey: 30,830
Uzbekistan: 13,624
Yemen:139

You can do a search under homeland security, border patrol etc.
Why do we think these would want to enter "Big Satan" There are also thousands of what they call "Gotaways".

If you think for a minute ite there are not evil intentions for America it is because life is busy so one cannot keep up with all the reporting. Priorities. I usually cannot either but have been free for 2 weeks to watch especially since the Hamas terrorist attack on civilians in Israel Oct 7
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:03 pm
JimFoxvog wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:36 pm
AndersonD wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:51 pm Maybe the Jews should leave Israel???? Why would you want to live in such a hostile environment where all the bordering countries hate you? They moved into Israel in 1948, 75 years later BB and all Jews should move out. All the bickering and fighting has to be getting old.
Jews and Arabs lived mostly in peace in Palestine until the creation of the State of Israel. In a secular state with equal rights for all, I believe a much more peaceful land would be possible.
For over 600 years from 1517 when Suleman the Magnificent conquered Jerusalem until 1920, Jews and Arabs were all ethnic minority citizens of the Ottoman Empire along with Turks, Armenians, Greeks, Kurds, Bulgarians, etc. Strictly speaking they were all minorities in a Turkish-dominated empire.

From 1920 until the creation of Israel in 1948, the territory was subject to British rule under the Palestinian Mandate and during that time Jews and Arabs were most definitely NOT living in peace: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_k ... _Palestine

To cite just a few random examples

The Jaffa riots in 1921: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaffa_riots
The Buraq Riots in 1929: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1929_Palestine_riots

And from 1947-1948 before the creation of the state of Israel there was a state of civil war between Jews and Arabs in the Palestinian mandate with lots and lots of massacres on both sides.
To be fair, virtually every British colony had regular riots and uprisings, including the U.S., India, Sri Lanka, and many others. The British tended to rule by pitting two groups of people against each other. They would usually give a formerly oppressed minority administrative jobs, who would then go and oppress the formerly dominant majority. The English could control huge territories with surprisingly tiny colonial staffs and military forces this way.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:01 am

I rook a picture of the t.v. screen from the news report but I can't seem to post it here so I will post the numbers:

Pakistan 1,613

Why do we think these would want to enter "Big Satan" There are also thousands of what they call "Gotaways".

If you think for a minute ite there are not evil intentions for America it is because life is busy so one cannot keep up with all the reporting. Priorities. I usually cannot either but have been free for 2 weeks to watch especially since the Hamas terrorist attack on civilians in Israel Oct 7
So are you saying Mauritius and Uzbekistan are invading America?
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:46 am
Valerie wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:01 am

Pakistan 1,613

So are you saying Mauritius and Uzbekistan are invading America?
Please don't put words in my mouth.
Read my pist. I wrote it JUST the way it was reported.
0 x