The Twelve Tribes in Prophecy

General Christian Theology
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: The Twelve Tribes in Prophecy

Post by Bootstrap »

And the list in Genesis 49 is different from the list used for land allocation in Joshua ...

Tribes Not Consistently Mentioned Across All Lists:

Revelation
  • Levi (Not given a territorial land in Joshua)
  • Joseph (Representative of Ephraim; not explicitly named)
Genesis 49 (Jacob's Blessing)
  • Dan (Not listed in Revelation)
Joshua (Land Allocation)
  • Ephraim (Represented by Joseph in Revelation)
  • Manasseh (Listed as a half-tribe East and West, and grouped under Joseph in Revelation)
Comparison of Tribe Lists:

Revelation
  • Judah
  • Reuben
  • Gad
  • Asher
  • Naphtali
  • Manasseh
  • Simeon
  • Levi
  • Issachar
  • Zebulun
  • Joseph (often interpreted as Ephraim)
  • Benjamin
  • Reuben
  • Simeon
  • Levi
  • Judah
  • Zebulun
  • Issachar
  • Dan
  • Gad
  • Asher
  • Naphtali
  • Joseph (Ephraim and Manasseh emerge from him later)
  • Benjamin
Joshua (Land Allocation)
  • Reuben
  • Gad
  • Manasseh (Half-Tribe East and West)
  • Judah
  • Ephraim
  • Benjamin
  • Simeon
  • Zebulun
  • Issachar
  • Asher
  • Naphtali
  • Levi (Received cities but no territorial land)
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Bootstrap wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:11 pm And the list in Genesis 49 is different from the list used for land allocation in Joshua ...

Tribes Not Consistently Mentioned Across All Lists:

Revelation
  • Levi (Not given a territorial land in Joshua)
  • Joseph (Representative of Ephraim; not explicitly named)
  • Dan (Not listed in Revelation)
Joshua (Land Allocation)
  • Ephraim (Represented by Joseph in Revelation)
  • Manasseh (Listed as a half-tribe East and West, and grouped under Joseph in Revelation)
Comparison of Tribe Lists:

Revelation
  • Judah
  • Reuben
  • Gad
  • Asher
  • Naphtali
  • Manasseh
  • Simeon
  • Levi
  • Issachar
  • Zebulun
  • Joseph (often interpreted as Ephraim)
  • Benjamin
  • Reuben
  • Simeon
  • Levi
  • Judah
  • Zebulun
  • Issachar
  • Dan
  • Gad
  • Asher
  • Naphtali
  • Joseph (Ephraim and Manasseh emerge from him later)
  • Benjamin
Joshua (Land Allocation)
  • Reuben
  • Gad
  • Manasseh (Half-Tribe East and West)
  • Judah
  • Ephraim
  • Benjamin
  • Simeon
  • Zebulun
  • Issachar
  • Asher
  • Naphtali
  • Levi (Received cities but no territorial land)
Dan was included in Joshua's allocations.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

silentreader wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:12 pm Dan was included in Joshua's allocations.
Yes, thanks for the correction.

But it's interesting that these lists differ. Anyone have a good explanation for that? It's not something I have thought of. And it seems like it might influence interpretation of the Revelation.

0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

Bootstrap wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:39 pm
silentreader wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:12 pm Dan was included in Joshua's allocations.

But it's interesting that these lists differ. Anyone have a good explanation for that? It's not something I have thought of. And it seems like it might influence interpretation of the Revelation.

I don't know what difference it makes to the lists but I don't believe Dan was able to conquer or hold its allotment and ended up migrating to become the northernmost tribe. Whether that caused a change of status...
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Bootstrap wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:39 pm

I have heard people talk as though they think that the anti-Christ will come out of the tribe of Dan.

In regards to end-times thought in the past, I think that what I have seen is that when people are suffering persecution (or when the world is in turmoil in ways that they especially notice), they began to think that that time is near. In the case of my own people (Russian Mennonites), as the articles of the privilegiya (promises made by the Czar to the Mennonite immigrants) began to be violated in more and more serious ways, they began to see themselves in the last days, and saw themselves as those who were being persecuted, in the Tribulation period. There was even a surge of Zionism in the colonies during that time, and the formation of the group commonly referred to as the "Templers" - Mennonites who made plans to move to Israel and help rebuild the temple. (I do not know if any actually succeeded in settling there, as world sentiment was against such things, perhaps especially in the British government, who (I think) were in control of that area during that time period (+/- 1860 - 1890) and following. (I know that there was a Zionist in Burkovina by the name of Abravim Buller - my surname. He could have been one of these Mennonite Templers, or he was a Jew, as I know that there are Jewish people with the same family name. He is mentioned in Jewish historical documents as hosting Zionist meetings in that area in 1880.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Bootstrap wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:39 pm But it's interesting that these lists differ. Anyone have a good explanation for that? It's not something I have thought of. And it seems like it might influence interpretation of the Revelation.

Boot - This is admittedly speculatory, but this specific question came up in a recent study we were part of which went through the books of Daniel and Revelation. Some of the discussion there suggested the following, for whatever it's worth. I'll try to keep it "short", but here it is as best I remember...

------------------

Judges 17-21 records a couple stories of apostasy in Israel, both centered on Dan, Ephraim and the city of Bethlehem (birthplace of David, God's choice for king over Israel). Judges emphasizes that these were the days before Israel had a monarchy. Dan sinned by turning their nose up at the land God allotted to them, and they abandoned it. As they migrated north, they passed through Ephraim, snatched some idols at a home along the way, recruited a Levite to serve in some sort of false temple in their new area, and subsequently, Dan became the first tribe to formally embrace idol worship...

Ephraim (source of those idols) more or less assumed control over the land originally intended allotted to Dan, and essentially assisted the Danites in bringing idolatry into Israel. The suggestion was made that these sins give God just cause exclude them from their privilege of preparing Israel and the rest of the world for Messiah's returning. And furthermore, since Manasseh was already included in the Rev 7 list, it seems clear that the tribe of Joseph doesn't represent his 2 sons as is normally the case - rather, Joseph still represents two tribes (in this case Joseph replaces Dan & Ephraim, who were tribes historically/geographically linked in their introduction of rebellion & idolatry into the land). On this basis, they may be excluded from the Rev 7 list, at least by name and with "Joseph" listed as proxy.

This "substitution" allowed the retaining of the symmetry of 12 tribes while still drawing attention to D&E's joint contribution to idolatry in Israel. In this since, D&E would be "hidden" in Joseph, which suggests that the 12K men from "Joseph" during the Tribulation could actually be Danites and Ephraimites.

There is also a deeper potential message in the exclusion, however, and while we're on the subject... :ugeek: Dan and Ephraim's apostasy represented perhaps the lowest point in Israel's history just prior to the Lord raising up a king from Bethlehem to deliver His people from their sin.
This is the same pattern that exists prior to the Lord's return to rule over Israel when the Tribulation ends - with the exclusion (replacement?) of the names of D&E from the Rev 7 list, the Lord directs attention back to the story at the end of Judges, and this narrative of God's chosen King's arrival to address the nation's idolatry.

You see part of this in Judges 17-21, with the growing apostasy of Israel, influenced by (shock :o ) the good old boys from Dan and Ephraim, after which David (pre-figure of Jesus) arrives in Bethlehem (kinda like Jesus later on) as the hope of Israel. Summarily put, these events picture the later greater arrival of Jesus Christ when He comes to rescue Israel from apostasy.

All that to say that Dan and Ephraim may be missing in the Rev 7 list in order to point back to their decidedly poor choices back in Judges, as Revelation depicts Israel once again guilty of apostasy as they were in Judges under D&E. And again the Lord is going to bring Israel a king (aka Jesus, from Bethlehem) to rescue Israel from their apostasy, so by excluding these two tribes, there seems to be an emphasis/picture that the third part of the story will be right around the corner.

...but all that could be totally overthinking it too. :?
2 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:28 am
Bootstrap wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:39 pm But it's interesting that these lists differ. Anyone have a good explanation for that? It's not something I have thought of. And it seems like it might influence interpretation of the Revelation.

Boot - This is admittedly speculatory, but this specific question came up in a recent study we were part of which went through the books of Daniel and Revelation. Some of the discussion there suggested the following, for whatever it's worth. I'll try to keep it "short", but here it is as best I remember...

------------------

Judges 17-21 records a couple stories of apostasy in Israel, both centered on Dan, Ephraim and the city of Bethlehem (birthplace of David, God's choice for king over Israel). Judges emphasizes that these were the days before Israel had a monarchy. Dan sinned by turning their nose up at the land God allotted to them, and they abandoned it. As they migrated north, they passed through Ephraim, snatched some idols at a home along the way, recruited a Levite to serve in some sort of false temple in their new area, and subsequently, Dan became the first tribe to formally embrace idol worship...

Ephraim (source of those idols) more or less assumed control over the land originally intended allotted to Dan, and essentially assisted the Danites in bringing idolatry into Israel. The suggestion was made that these sins give God just cause exclude them from their privilege of preparing Israel and the rest of the world for Messiah's returning. And furthermore, since Manasseh was already included in the Rev 7 list, it seems clear that the tribe of Joseph doesn't represent his 2 sons as is normally the case - rather, Joseph still represents two tribes (in this case Joseph replaces Dan & Ephraim, who were tribes historically/geographically linked in their introduction of rebellion & idolatry into the land). On this basis, they may be excluded from the Rev 7 list, at least by name and with "Joseph" listed as proxy.

This "substitution" allowed the retaining of the symmetry of 12 tribes while still drawing attention to D&E's joint contribution to idolatry in Israel. In this since, D&E would be "hidden" in Joseph, which suggests that the 12K men from "Joseph" during the Tribulation could actually be Danites and Ephraimites.

There is also a deeper potential message in the exclusion, however, and while we're on the subject... :ugeek: Dan and Ephraim's apostasy represented perhaps the lowest point in Israel's history just prior to the Lord raising up a king from Bethlehem to deliver His people from their sin.
This is the same pattern that exists prior to the Lord's return to rule over Israel when the Tribulation ends - with the exclusion (replacement?) of the names of D&E from the Rev 7 list, the Lord directs attention back to the story at the end of Judges, and this narrative of God's chosen King's arrival to address the nation's idolatry.

You see part of this in Judges 17-21, with the growing apostasy of Israel, influenced by (shock :o ) the good old boys from Dan and Ephraim, after which David (pre-figure of Jesus) arrives in Bethlehem (kinda like Jesus later on) as the hope of Israel. Summarily put, these events picture the later greater arrival of Jesus Christ when He comes to rescue Israel from apostasy.

All that to say that Dan and Ephraim may be missing in the Rev 7 list in order to point back to their decidedly poor choices back in Judges, as Revelation depicts Israel once again guilty of apostasy as they were in Judges under D&E. And again the Lord is going to bring Israel a king (aka Jesus, from Bethlehem) to rescue Israel from their apostasy, so by excluding these two tribes, there seems to be an emphasis/picture that the third part of the story will be right around the corner.

...but all that could be totally overthinking it too. :?
Interesting! Thank you for sharing that.

Reading early church fathers/writers/theologians, it seemed the assumption was the antichrist comes from the tribe of Dan. Wherever that tribe ended up, or dispersed, the lineage remains. It was too until I learned that,that I noticed the omission of Dan in Revelations
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

but they do believe that eventually, the Jewish nation on earth at the time will be saved
I’ve always found this view a bit odd. They believe that every single person in that nation will have a born again experience and accept salvation?
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:28 am All that to say that Dan and Ephraim may be missing in the Rev 7 list in order to point back to their decidedly poor choices back in Judges, as Revelation depicts Israel once again guilty of apostasy as they were in Judges under D&E.
One more point: When Jeroboam the son of Nebat (who made Israel to sin) set up his golden calves, where did he put them? In Dan (the northern location) and Bethel (in Ephraim), further anchoring the apostasy in those two tribes.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

ohio jones wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:11 am
Heirbyadoption wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:28 am All that to say that Dan and Ephraim may be missing in the Rev 7 list in order to point back to their decidedly poor choices back in Judges, as Revelation depicts Israel once again guilty of apostasy as they were in Judges under D&E.
One more point: When Jeroboam the son of Nebat (who made Israel to sin) set up his golden calves, where did he put them? In Dan (the northern location) and Bethel (in Ephraim), further anchoring the apostasy in those two tribes.
and further more....
Jeroboam the son of Nebat, an Ephraimite of Zeredah, a servant of Solomon, whose mother's name was Zeruah, a widow, also lifted up his hand against the king.
0 x