Hutterite Seekers

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
AndersonD
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Sattler College Turmoil

Post by AndersonD »

Josh wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:05 pm
AndersonD wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:55 pm
NedFlanders wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:25 am I’m a bit surprised so much stock is put into Dean leaving…. Doesn’t his track record show he jumps from church to church to new and exciting every few years? I’d be more concerned why he was even selected for such a position at Sattler and the short sightedness in that over than why he left - is it a wrong observation to say he leaves everything every time.

I think the efforts to be a positive transitional church to get people to grow closer to Christ is noble but there is a threat and reality that when people keep transitioning it really becomes unstable and too often there are much more losses in the end when this goes on….
I agree with you. Dean's behavior is reminiscent of a fellow by the last name of Hoover. I remember him comparing the Hutterites to the Marine Corps. FWIW, he never joined the "Marines".
Could you detail exactly, what, his history of hopping to “new and exciting” is?

He’s currently at a Beachy church in Holmes County Ohio area. Not what most of us consider “new and exciting”.

For anyone complaining he didn’t go back to Altona, perhaps it would be prudent to first consider the shape Altona is in (they are no longer receiving non-Hutterite background people). Or are you saying he is “unstable” for trying to go be President of Sattler in the first place?
So Altona would not have accepted Dean or did they throw the brakes on accepting non Hutterites after Dean hit eject?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

The latter. He was the last one to get in who stayed. Grand River never accepted outsiders, and I understand Elmendorf doesn’t anymore either. The only one left that does is Ft Pitt (and whatever the Paraguay group is called).

One of his sons married a preacher’s daughter there. (They live in Ohio now too.)

Overall, I am very sympathetic why he wouldn’t try to go back to that chaos after resigning from Sattler. I believe he went to Sattler and tried to do the best - as I understand it, certain things were not fully disclosed about Finny’s plans with regard to church and college.
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

I don't believe Dean was ever formally part of the Hutterites. He went to assist them in some evangelical work I believe.
0 x
Josh

Hutterite Seekers

Post by Josh »

I should add: at some point I was interested in either Altona/elmendorf or the Australian colony. I came very close to taking the steps to join. In the end I took the “boring” option circa 2018 and joined the church where I still attend and am a member.

I think seekers need a tad more grace for when they need to change churches. A lot of us join a church or start attending one and are told plain coats, kapps, cape dresses, and getting rid of your radio and TV are important.

A few years later, women are wearing veils, youth are sporting skirts and shirts and shorts, and families watch DVDs of TV shows on a TV hooked up to a laptop at home. Does one really feel such a seeker should be criticised for “church hopping” away from such a situation?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

joshuabgood wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:42 pm I don't believe Dean was ever formally part of the Hutterites. He went to assist them in some evangelical work I believe.
His son must have been, considering he married a preacher’s daughter. As I understood it the last time I was in Altona he fully participated in things there.

He had the full blessing of the community when he packed up and moved to Greece, too. I really want to know if anyone here thinks it’s “church hopping” to go to a long term mission field like that.
0 x
cooper
Affiliation: LMC

Post by cooper »

Josh wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:41 pm The latter. He was the last one to get in who stayed. Grand River never accepted outsiders, and I understand Elmendorf doesn’t anymore either. The only one left that does is Ft Pitt (and whatever the Paraguay group is called).
Is not accepting outsiders actually the official line? I mean, even most Amish accept outsiders in principle. I thought Elmendorf was an "enlightened" Hutterite colony.
0 x
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

Josh wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:45 pm I should add: at some point I was interested in either Altona/elmendorf or the Australian colony. I came very close to taking the steps to join. In the end I took the “boring” option circa 2018 and joined the church where I still attend and am a member.

I think seekers need a tad more grace for when they need to change churches. A lot of us join a church or start attending one and are told plain coats, kapps, cape dresses, and getting rid of your radio and TV are important.

A few years later, women are wearing veils, youth are sporting skirts and shirts and shorts, and families watch DVDs of TV shows on a TV hooked up to a laptop at home. Does one really feel such a seeker should be criticised for “church hopping” away from such a situation?
Thanks Josh.
I am too far removed to see what all has gone on.
Just another reminder that actual seeker friendly churches are rare and most seekers unfortunately find themselves in transitional churches which are the least friendly to seekers.
0 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
AndersonD

Post by AndersonD »

cooper wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:30 pm
Josh wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:41 pm The latter. He was the last one to get in who stayed. Grand River never accepted outsiders, and I understand Elmendorf doesn’t anymore either. The only one left that does is Ft Pitt (and whatever the Paraguay group is called).
Is not accepting outsiders actually the official line? I mean, even most Amish accept outsiders in principle. I thought Elmendorf was an "enlightened" Hutterite colony.
They had some horrible experiences with non-Hutterites at Elmendorf. So I don't blame them for shutting the door.

Dean could have tried joining the main Hutterites.
Instead he tried joining a Hutter/ Charity colony that's in flux.
0 x
AndersonD

Post by AndersonD »

Josh wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:41 pm The latter. He was the last one to get in who stayed.
What do you mean by "get in"?
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

AndersonD wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:46 pm
cooper wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:30 pm
They had some horrible experiences with non-Hutterites at Elmendorf. So I don't blame them for shutting the door.

Dean could have tried joining the main Hutterites.
Instead he tried joining a Hutter/ Charity colony that's in flux.
Well, actually, I had a really interesting conversation once with a member of the Hutterite ministry from the Washington/Oregon churches, who said they do not take outsiders, and referred us to the Elmendorf community which they had excommunicated. They mentioned having taken an outsider years ago who married in and still doesn’t know their language. They also said they barely have enough housing for their own people, which is one of the reasons they don’t take outsiders.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat