Common Christian practices that are not taught in scripture

General Christian Theology
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: Common Christian practices that are not taught in scripture

Post by ken_sylvania »

Soloist wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:48 am
Sudsy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:38 am
The meaning of the word baptizo in Greek is essentially "dip" or "immerse," not sprinkle and the descriptions of baptisms in the New Testament suggest that people went down into the water to be immersed rather than having water brought to them in a container to be poured or sprinkled.
And who told us that what the Greek meant?
Sudsy did.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:20 pm
Sudsy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:38 am
The meaning of the word baptizo in Greek is essentially "dip" or "immerse," not sprinkle and the descriptions of baptisms in the New Testament suggest that people went down into the water to be immersed rather than having water brought to them in a container to be poured or sprinkled.
Sudsy did.
Amen. But search it out for yourselves. This is my conviction and understanding of what actually occurred in the NT baptisms.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Sudsy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:51 pm

Sudsy did.
Amen. But search it out for yourselves. This is my conviction and understanding of what actually occurred in the NT baptisms.
I have searched it out. In order to force the various words translated "baptize" and "were baptized" to specify a mode you have to ignore certain instances of use and make too many assumptions for which there is no proof.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:11 pm
Sudsy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:51 pm
Sudsy did.
I have searched it out. In order to force the various words translated "baptize" and "were baptized" to specify a mode you have to ignore certain instances of use and make too many assumptions for which there is no proof.
Then you should live by your understanding as should I. I have done likewise for the D&R issue and have an understanding I live by.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Sudsy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:34 pmThen you should live by your understanding as should I. I have done likewise for the D&R issue and have an understanding I live by.
The difference is that there is no question about what Jesus and the Apostles have to say about divorce and remarriage. The difference in opinions has to do with what God may tolerate. Not what he has to say.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Ernie wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:49 pm
Sudsy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:34 pmThen you should live by your understanding as should I. I have done likewise for the D&R issue and have an understanding I live by.
The difference is that there is no question about what Jesus and the Apostles have to say about divorce and remarriage.
I disagree. The question regarding D&R is whether or not re-marriage is an initial act of adultery that can be forgiven or if re-marriage is a state of adultery one is living in. This link gives an explanation of why the re-married state is not a state of adultery. Your choice to agree or not.

https://www.neverthirsty.org/bible-qa/q ... n-forever/
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Sudsy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:34 pm
The difference is that there is no question about what Jesus and the Apostles have to say about divorce and remarriage.
I disagree. The question regarding D&R is whether or not re-marriage is an initial act of adultery that can be forgiven or if re-marriage is a state of adultery one is living in. This link gives an explanation of why the re-married state is not a state of adultery. Your choice to agree or not.

I suppose it also depends on whether you believe repentance should involve change or not.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

silentreader wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:39 pm

I suppose it also depends on whether you believe repentance should involve change or not.
I don't know anyone who believes repentance does not involve change. Perhaps you could give your definition of what it means to repent ?

I believe it involves acknowledging one's sin, being sorry for that sin and turning with intent to not do that sin again. As scripture says that just because grace abounds doesn't mean we can freely sin.

Seems the issue might be whether one believes the state of being re-married is living in continuous adultery or if one has repented and the new marriage is acceptable to God as a legitimate married state. I believe, as this link says, the latter.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Sudsy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:08 pm
silentreader wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:39 pm

I don't know anyone who believes repentance does not involve change. Perhaps you could give your definition of what it means to repent ?

I believe it involves acknowledging one's sin, being sorry for that sin and turning with intent to not do that sin again. As scripture says that just because grace abounds doesn't mean we can freely sin.

Seems the issue might be whether one believes the state of being re-married is living in continuous adultery or if one has repented and the new marriage is acceptable to God as a legitimate married state. I believe, as this link says, the latter.
My question is, what change did this repentance bring?

Looks like there was a sinful act, a profession of repentance was made, and then the act was made legitimate by a formality so that the sinner was then free to enjoy the fruits of his sin. Is that really how things work?
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

The difference is that there is no question about what Jesus and the Apostles have to say about divorce and remarriage. The difference in opinions has to do with what God may tolerate. Not what he has to say.
Again we come to interpretation. We were guided through scripture in our case to justify remarriage because of our particular circumstances which Anabaptist s refer to as "the exception clause."
0 x