What age difference is acceptable?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Re: What age difference is acceptable?

Post by Chris »

Joy wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:23 pm
silentreader wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:21 pm
Joy wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:12 pm I must say, Mary's speech in Luke 1 doesn't sound like a young teenager. It sounds more like someone who has had time to live and observe life and principles firsthand.
Perhaps a teenage girl would sound different after being face-to-face with Gabriel?
No, not necessarily.
They also had a different way of learning to speak than we do. Teens you know today are not teens from yesteryear.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Chris wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:42 am

Perhaps a teenage girl would sound different after being face-to-face with Gabriel?
No, not necessarily.
They also had a different way of learning to speak than we do. Teens you know today are not teens from yesteryear.
And we read what she said in Greek, after going through a translator. Presumably she didn’t speak Greek in her private prayer life.
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Chris wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:42 am

No, not necessarily.
The concept of teenager didn't exist until the 20th Century.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
AnthonyMartin
Affiliation: LMC

Post by AnthonyMartin »

Took a long hiatus from Mennonet. Perhaps it's time to pull out this excellent work?

https://www.amazon.com/Disappearance-Ch ... 0679751661
1 x
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. [1Cor. 13:11 NIV]
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Joy wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:56 am When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. [1Cor. 13:11 NIV]
Indeed. Which would have been age 12 (and which is when we see Jesus starting to act independently).
0 x
Joy

Post by Joy »

Josh wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:44 am
Joy wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:56 am When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. [1Cor. 13:11 NIV]
Indeed. Which would have been age 12 (and which is when we see Jesus starting to act independently).
And He got in trouble for it, so I assume He wasn't following the custom of the times.
1 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Joy wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:55 pm
And He got in trouble for it, so I assume He wasn't following the custom of the times.
Then he didn't "make another stir" until he was around 30 years old. And the older Jews still acted like he was just a young whippersnapper.
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Actually, he was. A 12 year old was considered a fully functional (and responsible) adult.

Yet even in adulthood, sons remained subject to their fathers, well into their father's old age (we can see another example of this in the story of Isaac and his two sons). A family travelling from Nazareth to Jerusalem would stick together, which is why Jesus' mother was so worried about him - she couldn't find where he was. It would be no different if I were travelling with my parents to Israel, and wandered off somewhere, and then my parents need to go home or go to their lodging and are trying to find me.
0 x
Joy

Post by Joy »

Neto wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:33 pm

Then he didn't "make another stir" until he was around 30 years old. And the older Jews still acted like he was just a young whippersnapper.
Kind of like Benjamin's brothers treated him because he was the baby of the family. "Little one" and "lad"--who had ten children at that time.

We babies of the family stay little in our families' eyes. :lol:
2 x