What age difference is acceptable?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
temporal1

Re: What age difference is acceptable?

Post by temporal1 »

.. please, no briar patch. not today. :)
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Grace wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:22 pm
justme wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:13 pm you are right, grace, you can't make some stuff up. this included.

i stand by what i said.
LOL, Well, I got to give you credit, for standing by your post containing numerous "snide put downs" and then requesting that others STOP their "snide put downs".

Temp had a gracious response though.
Regardless of our history at times here in how we respond to one another, I do think it is important to consider that some things can be taken differently and when Temp said 'As God is my witness, i did not intend to infer otherwise', that these are pretty strong words to ignore. God and Temp know what was inferred. We don't. My 2 cents.
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

If calling someone "reading impaired" isn't a snide put-down, then I don't know what is.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

ken_sylvania wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:01 pm If calling someone "reading impaired" isn't a snide put-down, then I don't know what is.
Interesting.
Because i consider you to be one of the forum’s best readers+writers, you must be correct.
i must have chosen bad words.

Not to defend, i trust your judgment, but in attempt to explain ..
i didn’t think of those words as so weighty, or intend them to be; my intent was only for a variation of a common complaint found on forum, that some do not read, or maybe read too quickly, that sort of thing. i tried to word it toward that general problem (altho i was annoyed to be pushed for my opinion) - which i thought i had just briefly given.

i don’t consider myself a good reader, at all, i try to compensate by reading several times, or, if a recording, i often listen several times, to TRY to grasp the point of what’s being said. i often break down text into pieces to try to understand better, i do lots of things to try to understand the best i can. i regularly question my own understanding.

i read the Book of Hosea for years in disbelief. i could not believe i was understanding correctly.
It was only Knight on MD that convinced me i wasn’t mistaken. Knight is a gifted reader.

i think of myself as reading impaired, i’m not ashamed, i try to compensate. it was worse before cataract surgery.

if someone is reading impaired due to carelessness or reading too fast, my advice is to slow down and think.
i’ve been doing this since i was a child. i see no shame in it.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

ken_sylvania wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:01 pm If calling someone "reading impaired" isn't a snide put-down, then I don't know what is.
Perhaps "choosing to read first before writing at length-challenged" would be a better phrase?
0 x
steve-in-kville

Post by steve-in-kville »

Soloist wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:01 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:52 am 16 is too young to get married. I was three years older than that and hindsight I was still too young. But we made it work. No regrets.
So… when is old enough? I think that people are never properly prepared for something they never have experienced. Perhaps parenting is an even better example…
We all have regret for past choices but I would hazard a guess for the majority of us, marriage wasn’t one of them.
The state says 18 and that is good enough for me. I've known of a few 17 year olds that got married and they turned out just fine. Obviously there was maturity and a sense of responsibility in those situations.

But then I know of a few 30-somethings that have no business being married and should not reproduce.... :o
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:45 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:52 am 16 is too young to get married. I was three years older than that and hindsight I was still too young. But we made it work. No regrets.
So… when is old enough? I think that people are never properly prepared for something they never have experienced. Perhaps parenting is an even better example…
We all have regret for past choices but I would hazard a guess for the majority of us, marriage wasn’t one of them.
The state says 18 and that is good enough for me. I've known of a few 17 year olds that got married and they turned out just fine. Obviously there was maturity and a sense of responsibility in those situations.

But then I know of a few 30-somethings that have no business being married and should not reproduce.... :o
My sense is, this is widely accepted in the U.S./West, Christians and others. i’m not sure what mennonitemom1’s questions revolve around.

Overall, i believe these questions are coming to the forefront because of non-West, non-Christian populations bringing child bride and related practices onto the radar.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

temporal1 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:49 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:45 am

My sense is, this is widely accepted in the U.S./West, Christians and others. i’m not sure what mennonitemom1’s questions revolve around.

Overall, i believe these questions are coming to the forefront because of non-West, non-Christian populations bringing child bride and related practices onto the radar.
Such as Congressman Omar, who appears to have married her brother or cousin as a minor.

Indeed, the biggest problem with child brides in places like the UK are Pakistani populations where they arrange a cousin marriage often to a minor, who can be quite young (14 is not uncommon).
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:45 am
temporal1 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:49 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:45 am The state says 18 and that is good enough for me. I've known of a few 17 year olds that got married and they turned out just fine. Obviously there was maturity and a sense of responsibility in those situations.

Such as Congressman Omar, who appears to have married her brother or cousin as a minor.

Indeed, the biggest problem with child brides in places like the UK are Pakistani populations where they arrange a cousin marriage often to a minor, who can be quite young (14 is not uncommon).
There are numerous conflicts, not the least is noise pollution.
i strongly dislike the sounds of weekly lawn mowing.

Minneapolis becomes first major U.S. city to broadcast Islamic call to prayer 5 times per day
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/min ... es-per-day
.. The Minneapolis City Council unanimously agreed Thursday to amend the city’s noise ordinance,
which had prevented dawn and late evening calls at certain times of the year due to noise restrictions, ..
Notice bold rainbow colors in the background. Everyone has their priorities, conditions, compromises.

When i was young, Sunday morning church bells were more common. Now rare.

Noise pollution has been established as a big deal.

Years ago, i read these calls to prayer can be effectively done on individual smartphones, other devices. Problem solved.
Dominating the public square is not necessary.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

I am one of the reading impaired people since my dominant eye has a massive floater. I did not take it as an insult. Maybe it was intended to be, but it does help me to have caps, bold, especially underlined text when people post now.

I do stand by my formula I posted before.

YoungerAge = Olderage/2 +10
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.