covering the grave

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
wesleyb
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: covering the grave

Post by wesleyb »

barnhart wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:50 am The family, mostly grandchildren, covered my grandfathers grave in Virginia and my other grandfather in Georgia. I just assumed this is normal. I laughed a little to myself doing it because I remembered him saying once in jest that he wanted his feet covered first so he could look out as long as possible. So I did.
I grew up in the same church as your grandfather in VA and I don't think I ever saw this being done until the last 20 years or so. I think the old order churches here have always done it and as more of them migrated into the conservative Mennonite churches they brought the practice with them. Your grandfather's funeral may have been the first one where I saw this being done that the family didn't have old order background.
0 x
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

wesleyb wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:30 pm
barnhart wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:50 am The family, mostly grandchildren, covered my grandfathers grave in Virginia and my other grandfather in Georgia. I just assumed this is normal. I laughed a little to myself doing it because I remembered him saying once in jest that he wanted his feet covered first so he could look out as long as possible. So I did.
I grew up in the same church as your grandfather in VA and I don't think I ever saw this being done until the last 20 years or so. I think the old order churches here have always done it and as more of them migrated into the conservative Mennonite churches they brought the practice with them. Your grandfather's funeral may have been the first one where I saw this being done that the family didn't have old order background.
Interesting, I didn't know that history as I never lived in VA.

Edit: I was wondering who you are, and it just popped in my mind. 🙂
1 x
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

Josh wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:24 am You can pretty much identify Amish-Mennonites vs Mennonites by this custom.
This rings true Josh. I do not remember the practice of covering the grave at the Mennonite funerals I had attended in PA, but in the mid-west, particularly among Amish-Mennonite folks, it was common practice.

I have grown to appreciate the practice and its symbolism, very much.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Among our churches, the trustees are responsible for the cemetery including digging graves and overseeing the burials. Some families prefer to use no more machinery than is absolutely necessary during the burial itself. If I recall correctly, when my grandpa was buried the casket was lowered by hand using straps, the vault lid (which had been pre-positioned in the grave before the burial) was closed by hand again with straps or ropes, then the grave was filled with shovels and tampers, with the family taking the first turns, then extended family, then other friends and church people. The children helped as well, but I no longer remember whether any girls or women assisted. I personally prefer this rather than having noisy equipment driving around to place the lid and fill the hole.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

wesleyb wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:30 pm
You are talking about which practice of barnhart - Grandchildren covering the grave; Or, covering the feet first?
0 x
Biblical Anabaptist
Affiliation: Unaffiliated Menno

Post by Biblical Anabaptist »

Ernie wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:48 am Where I grew up in Chambersburg, PA, basically all handling of the casket was done by the funeral home and all grave and dirt was taken care of by the excavator and others. Funeral directors in suits and ties would take the casket down the aisle to the front of the church and wheel it out at the end. They hauled the casket to the grave and lowered the casket at the grave, etc.

In more recent times, the church trustees started taking care of all matters at church and then one of the members began taking care of all arrangments other than embalming. Now the trustees cover the grave while the family watches. It is limited to the trustees so that things are done "decently and in order". You have to understand that culture to understand how important this is.
Perhaps Heirbyadoption can weigh in here. I was told recently that the OORB have a funeral committee that also prepares the body for burial by packing dry ice around it, thereby not needing the services of an undertaker at all except perhaps taking care of legal paperwork. Have you heard of that Ernie?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Muslim and Jewish burials are similar; they don’t believe in embalming. They just put the body directly in the ground.

Considering how outrageous funeral services are, there is wisdom in this method.
2 x
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

A Muslim woman giving a tour told us that when a cemetery gets crowded, they take out the old bones and put the newly dead into the grave. Struck me as somewhat disrespectful.
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Joy wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:15 pm A Muslim woman giving a tour told us that when a cemetery gets crowded, they take out the old bones and put the newly dead into the grave. Struck me as somewhat disrespectful.
Some places in Europe do this too. Can you imagine how much land would be devoted to cemeteries if every grave from a thousand years or more ago would be preserved?
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

RZehr wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:38 pm You are talking about which practice of barnhart - Grandchildren covering the grave; Or, covering the feet first?
Family covering the grave.

Wesleyb is a much better source as he grew up there, my experience is limited to my grandfather's funeral.
0 x