A Vote for Democracy?

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: A Vote for Democracy?

Post by Grace »

ohio jones wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:09 am
Ken wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:03 pm And the "silent majority" basically repudiated them in 2020 and 2022 and pulled the country back towards the center.
The center ain't where it used to be.
So True . Center is now radically far left, from what it was 25 years ago.

Interesting video.

2 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Wow, this thread is a perfect example of what I am talking about.

I have three daughters, two of whom are voting age. And I promise you that the apparent GOP position that young single women are too immature to vote, but that unstable 18 year old men are mature enough to have unrestricted and unregulated access to assault rifles, and 11 year old rape victims are mature enough to be mothers? Well, I can promise you that it just isn't the winning position that you think it is.

No Temp, there weren't any transgender beauty pageant contestants running for office. And no Robert, it wasn't Lindsey Graham who leaked out some secret GOP plot to ban abortion at the federal level. What we actually had was a lot of hard-right Trump-endorsed election deniers running on a national abortion ban in relative centrist states and districts. Mastriano in PA, Edwards in Arizona, Walker in Georgia, and here in my own back yard in Southwest Washington. And most of them were rejected.

The congressional race here in the WA-3rd was a perfect microcosm of the 2022 election. Hard-right MAGA faithful managed to upset a popular Republican congresswoman, Jaime Herrera Beutler at Trump's instigation because she voted to impeach in January 2021. She was a reasonably mainstream conservative who was a big homeschooling advocate and mostly worked on local issues like jobs and development. Had she not been beaten by a deep-pocketed MAGA election denier in the primary she would have cruised to easy victory in the general election with a lot of mainstream Democratic and independent support. Instead, Trump and his supporters managed to beat her with a guy named Joe Kent who was a hard-core MAGA election denier and yes, who advocated for a national federal ban on all abortion.

He was just too far right for this relatively middle of the road district and a lot of Republicans actually crossed lines to campaign and vote for the Democratic candidate. Who wasn't a transgender beauty queen Temp, but rather a young married small business owner and child of immigrants who runs an auto mechanic shop with her husband. And who ran on bread and butter economic issues like the cost of health care, child care, and housing while Joe Kent was out riling up the MAGA faithful with stories about election fraud.

Bottom line? A district that went for Trump by 4 points in 2020 and that national pollsters gave the Democrat a 2% chance of winning ended up flipping into the Democratic column because Trump meddled in the primary and pushed a MAGA supporter who was just way too far to the right.

The same exact thing happened in reverse to the south in the Oregon 5th Congressional District where Democrats upset a long-term centrist Democratic congressman Kurt Schrader in the primary and wound up losing in the general to a moderate Republican.

And no, the population hasn't moved left on abortion. It is pretty much exactly where it has always been. A total ban on abortion has always been a minority position in this country from the 1970s onwards. In fact, up until the late 1970s or early 1980s, churches as diverse as the Mennonites and Southern Baptists were basically pro-choice. It wasn't the country that has shifted on abortion, it is the Republican party. I realize that abortion is a core existential issue for a lot of people on this forum. But that this the reality.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken,

I think you missed the point.

Married men, unmarried men, and married women tend to vote Republican.

Unmarried women overwhelmingly vote Democrat.

In my opinion, it’s not good for unmarried women to be one political alignment and the rest of the country - including married families, who are the bedrock and future of the country - in a different one.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:59 am Ken,

I think you missed the point.

Married men, unmarried men, and married women tend to vote Republican.

Unmarried women overwhelmingly vote Democrat.

In my opinion, it’s not good for unmarried women to be one political alignment and the rest of the country - including married families, who are the bedrock and future of the country - in a different one.
I did not miss the point. On a previous thread I believe it was Temp advocating a rise in the voting age because young women were apparently too irresponsible to be given the vote. And that is actually a train of thought pushed by some Fox News commentators.

As for who votes for who? You can parse the vote a million different ways. Here is one example. Trump is apparently the candidate of the rich and Biden is the candidate overwhelmingly supported by everyone else. It is pretty clear that Biden and the Democrats are more in-line with the country than Trump and Republicans.

0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Grace wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:08 am
Ken wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:03 pm And the "silent majority" basically repudiated them in 2020 and 2022 and pulled the country back towards the center.
Interesting video.

She does a pretty nice job. How many chapters, is this a series? :lol:
This is where, no matter “how bad” alternative candidates were, this latest election should have been a big loss for career politicians - AND THEY KNEW IT. It leaves me wondering just how far gone the electorate really are. As the young lady describes, appears it may be beyond saving. Choosing between 2 evils has been exchanged for, “let’s choose the more evil, it’s what we recognize?”
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Falco Underhill
Affiliation: Hermit

Post by Falco Underhill »

Grace wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:08 am

Interesting video.

"We have become a nation that has lost its collective mind," she says.

Only one clear truth has emerged from this election: this country is still evenly divided and each side still thinks the other is literally insane.

She rightly complains about forcing words on us to express an alternate reality we cannot accept. Since the U.S. has officially adopted the ethics of Sodom we really do speak different languages, just as happened in Babylon.

Babylon can enforce conformity but cannot unite spiritually.
"To those who awake, there is one world in common, but to those who are asleep, each is withdrawn to a private world of his own." -- Heraclitus
(Sleepwalkers!)

The divisions will continue to multiply along with the new languages and new private worlds being forced into the public sphere. This is only the beginning.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.spiked ... world/amp/
“Awake, O sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.” -- Ephesians 5:14.
It's hard not to take all this personally but the key i try to remember is ....
If they hate you, remember they hated me first. John 15:18

It's God and his laws they really hate ...
1 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

.. On a previous thread I believe it was Temp advocating a rise in the voting age
because young women were apparently too irresponsible to be given the vote.
And that is actually a train of thought pushed by some Fox News commentators.
To clarify, i agree with my younger brother, and maybe a few forum members, that voting age (not just for females) should be raised to 30-60, for reasons other than you named. My dear grdaughter is newly 15, she is conscientious and responsible, but not mature nor experienced with liars in the world. Nor should she be!

i don’t follow Fox news, never have.

Elsewhere, i’ve mentioned interest in returning votes to qualified males. i don’t believe women voting is The Only Way, just because this is how it’s taught, without debate.

i question whether today’s general message to young ones is healthy, i.e., that families are secondary, optional, not prioritized,
while fornication, sodomy, et al., are promoted .. the goal being (?) .. evidently, to pressure females into being the best versions of males they can be, no matter what. All manner evil and misery is resulting. The answers? - Gov funding to mitigate damages.

many have hissy fits if their daughters want to marry at 18? 20? 25?

Regarding the rare instances of child pregnancies, i believe these cases need to be as considered as they are rare.
A child may be emotionally crippled for life at the overall experience: beginning with violent betrayal of her rapist, rape is violence, adding murder to rape is more extreme violence. The medical world has proven, esp thru Caesarean deliveries, infants can survive, child mothers can survive - without the heavy burden of murder. Often, even with teen or unmarried unprepared mothers, infants are adopted/raised by family members .. sometimes as siblings.

(In my family geneaology, i found an 1800’s relative was born out of wedlock, then raised as a sister to her mother) - it was VERY HARD in those days of strict social taboos. They managed, that inconvenient baby matured and became a happily married mother -
of 9!
Her death would not have served any meaningful purpose. Today, there is no comparable stigma for unwed mothers. They remain in school and receive gov subsidies. Mothers brag about their babies on FB. Not comparable.

i’m 100% pro choice. choose before conception.
in cases of rape, make sure the mother has balanced facts, not pressured or terrified into murder. even pregnant children deserve to be respected.

Healthy children PROTECT the vulnerable, they take it personally. murder has to be taught. woe unto such teachers.
Last edited by temporal1 on Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:18 pm
.. On a previous thread I believe it was Temp advocating a rise in the voting age
because young women were apparently too irresponsible to be given the vote.
And that is actually a train of thought pushed by some Fox News commentators.
To clarify, i agree with my younger brother, and maybe a few forum members, that voting age (not just for females) should be raised to 30-60, for reasons other than you named. My dear grdaughter is newly 15, she is conscientious and responsible, but not mature nor experienced with liars in the world. Nor should she be!

i don’t follow Fox news, never have.

Elsewhere, i’ve mentioned interest in returning votes to qualified males. i don’t believe women voting is The Only Way, just because this is how it’s taught, without debate.

i question whether today’s general message to young ones is healthy, i.e., that families are secondary, optional, not prioritized,
while fornication, sodomy, et al., are promoted .. the goal being (?) .. evidently, to pressure females into being the best versions of males they can be, no matter what. All manner evil and misery is resulting. The answers? - Gov funding to mitigate damages.

many have hissy fits if their daughters want to marry at 18? 20? 25?

Regarding the rare instances of child pregnancies, i believe these cases need to be as considered as they are rare.
A child may be emotionally crippled for life at the overall experience: beginning with violent betrayal of her rapist, rape is violence, adding murder to rape is more extreme violence. The medical world has proven, esp thru Caesarean deliveries, infants can survive, child mothers can survive - without the heavy burden of murder. Often, even with teen or unmarried unprepared mothers, infants are adopted/raised by family members .. sometimes as siblings.

(In my family geneaology, i found an 1800’s relative was born out of wedlock, then raised as a sister to her mother) - it was VERY HARD in those days of strict social taboos. They managed, that inconvenient baby matured and became a happily married mother -
of 9!
Her death would not have served any meaningful purpose. Today, there is no comparable stigma for unwed mothers. They remain in school and receive gov subsidies. Mothers brag about their babies on FB. Not comparable.

i’m 100% pro choice. choose before conception.
in cases of rape, make sure the mother has balanced facts, not pressured or terrified into murder. even pregnant children deserve to be respected.

healthy children PROTECT the vulnerable, they take it personally. murder has to be taught. woe unto such teachers.
Good luck with your efforts to repeal the 19th and 26th Amendments to the Constitution!

I stand by my contention that a "centrist" view that is not.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Falco:
"We have become a nation that has lost its collective mind," she says.

Only one clear truth has emerged from this election:
this country is still evenly divided and each side still thinks the other is literally insane.

She rightly complains about forcing words on us to express an alternate reality we cannot accept. Since the U.S. has officially adopted the ethics of Sodom we really do speak different languages, just as happened in Babylon.

Babylon can enforce conformity but cannot unite spiritually.
i’m unsure of how this will unfold.
conservatives might just withdraw and decide to turn it all over to God.

“you can lead a horse to water, you can’t make him drink.” 🐴
0 x

UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

People who aren’t paying taxes shouldn’t vote. People who get lots of government benefits and welfare - more than they’re paying in - shouldn’t vote.
0 x