PA state senate: Oz vs. Fetterman

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: PA state senate: Oz vs. Fetterman

Post by Josh »

Sliceitup wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:31 am
Robert wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:35 am
HondurasKeiser wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:02 am In Pennsylvania at least, and I could think of a few more races around the country as well, the Republican electorate have only themselves to blame for their dismal showing last night.
GenZ voted for abortion rights. That is what turned it.
I’m sure this helped with turnout among younger demographics, but even Republicans were voting against abortion restrictions. Look at the results in Kentucky. Most Republicans there won with 60+% of the vote, but the pro-choice amendment won by 52% which means a lot of Rand Paul voters voted pro-choice on the amendment.
Sliceitup,

Do you think abortion is murder? Do you think abortion is wrong?
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Sliceitup wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:31 am
Robert wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:35 am GenZ voted for abortion rights. That is what turned it.
I’m sure this helped with turnout among younger demographics, but even Republicans were voting against abortion restrictions. Look at the results in Kentucky. Most Republicans there won with 60+% of the vote, but the pro-choice amendment won by 52% which means a lot of Rand Paul voters voted pro-choice on the amendment.
Yeah, abortion was on the ballot in Michigan, Vermont, California, Kentucky and Montana, and it looks like the pro-choice position may win in all five states where it was on the ballot. I'm pro-life, but most voters are not.

0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

That Gallup poll seems odd, “illegal in all circumstances” is close to a non-issue. Since RvW overturn, it’s a state decision.
It’s fear-mongering gold.

It’s not possible to know “what voters think” - until/unless pro-life views are presented 50/50 with for-profit corporate abortion views. In schools and elsewhere. The U.S. is not close to such a place.

Election results are skewed by various problems, partisan politics strong in gov ed; partisan politics in social media censorship and meddling, are two prominent and undeniable factors. The Public Treasury should not be a petty cash drawer to fund partisan politics.

In this distorted climate, election results are secondary.

It’s not unlike child custody battles, where courts recognize the depravity of one parent attempting to turn children against another parent. Children often “choose” abusive or negligent parents. It’s what they know. They don’t have adequate perspective.
They are made to be fearful. Courts are not perfect. But they recognize horrible games people play.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:21 pm That Gallup poll seems odd, “illegal in all circumstances” is close to a non-issue. Since RvW overturn, it’s a state decision.
Why is "illegal in all circumstances" a non-issue? This isn't a poll of Federal policy. It is a poll of state policy since it is states that write abortion laws. And there are some states that are, indeed making abortion illegal in all circumstances, or very close to it. And there are proposals to do that exact thing in some states.

I would venture to guess there are many people here on Mennonet who's opinion falls into that category. That abortion should be illegal in all circumstances.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:24 pm
temporal1 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:21 pm That Gallup poll seems odd, “illegal in all circumstances” is close to a non-issue. Since RvW overturn, it’s a state decision.
Why is "illegal in all circumstances" a non-issue? This isn't a poll of Federal policy. It is a poll of state policy since it is states that write abortion laws. And there are some states that are, indeed making abortion illegal in all circumstances, or very close to it. And there are proposals to do that exact thing in some states.

I would venture to guess there are many people here on Mennonet who's opinion falls into that category. That abortion should be illegal in all circumstances.
Some of us of do believe murder is wrong, and that there aren’t excused when murder is OK.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:39 pm

Some of us of do believe murder is wrong, and that there aren’t excused when murder is OK.
My point exactly. It is perfectly legitimate to poll Americans to see how many share your beliefs.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:56 pm

My point exactly. It is perfectly legitimate to poll Americans to see how many share your beliefs.
And 48% of them agreeing with me doesn’t make murder somehow OK.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:51 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:56 pm

And 48% of them agreeing with me doesn’t make murder somehow OK.
I'm not arguing the numbers. There are many Americans (but not a majority) who agree with you. According to the figure posted by Bootstrap the number of Americans who support a total ban on abortion is actually 13% not 48% but that is neither here nor there.

I was only taking issue with Temp's assertion that we shouldn't look at such numbers, or they are irrelevant because a total abortion ban was not in front of the Supreme Court when they overruled Roe. Such numbers are highly relevant because all the legal action on abortion has now shifted to the states where there are many proposals for very strict bans on abortion. And they will be fought out in within the political arena.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Ernie wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:23 am
Valerie wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:40 pmDon't you find it odd that dems vote for people with obvious mental/health issues? Im very perplexed by this. Also why PA voted for a dead guy!
This happens in both parties so not a Democrat only thing.

People with mental/health issues.
https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news ... 667021007/

People elected after they died.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/09/how-den ... death.html
Did you watch the debate between Fetterman & Dr. Oz?
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

This election seems to represent a significant blueward shift in PA which is the opposite of neighboring Ohio.

Fetterman did better than Biden in every single county in the state. And the blue shift was actually largest in the most rural parts of the state, not the urban and suburban counties around Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. This is how the vote in each county shifted from 2020 to 2022.

The same thing happened with the governors race but to a much larger extent. Shapiro ran up much bigger margins than Fetterman in rural counties. In fact, Shapiro would have won the election by more than 200,000 votes even if none of the votes in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia were even counted. His margin in PA was larger than Abbott's winning margin in Texas.
0 x