Outcomes of Overturning Roe Vs. Wade

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
temporal1

Re: Outcomes of Overturning Roe Vs. Wade

Post by temporal1 »

RZehr wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:25 pm
Because I’m quite unimpressed with the follow through of Republican politicians, I’m happy to get a genuine, sturdy Supreme Court ruling, rather than a wimpy Republican majority.

I would prefer both; but if I had to pick between the SC we have, or a Republican House and Senate, I’ll take the bird in hand any day.

For myself, I don’t think it was the ruling alone that made the election day difference. But even if it did, I’ll still take it.

I think it was Trump/Maga that lost the Republican “red wave”. And if it wasn’t for Trump, we’d not have the SC that we have.

So as far as I’m concerned, Trump gets credit for the SC and the blame for the election loss.

But to me, his SC legacy out weighs the mid term loss.
i largely agree, definitely, an R-majority guarantees nothing!
i credit that with CAREER POLITICIANS, RINOS .. Paul Ryan was dependably disappointing, but he’s not alone.
Voting records are more important.

i don’t blame DJT for election losses, definitely, that’s the deep desire of his opponents! the Wile E Coyotes in politics.
they love slam-dunks. give them credit: they keep tryin’!

What encourages me with Republicans is their “deep bench” of good candidates. And their youth+diversity.
There are many coming along that appear worthwhile. It’s important to have vitality. Life+Hope go hand-in-hand.

i appreciate that DJT paved the way, opened doors for better to come.
i’m not sure anyone else could have accomplished what he did that way.

also, as POTUS, by getting so much done so quickly, under constant duress, he proved there is no excuse for wasting decades pretending nothing can be decided or improved (the standard way of Congress).

not to mention keeping military involvement to a minimum.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Sliceitup wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:41 am I saw comments today where conservatives were mad at the Supreme Court because the Dobbs ruling ruined this election for Republicans. Is this a widespread sentiment?
Because I’m quite unimpressed with the follow through of Republican politicians, I’m happy to get a genuine, sturdy Supreme Court ruling, rather than a wimpy Republican majority. I would prefer both; but if I had to pick between the SC we have, or a Republican House and Senate, I’ll take the bird in hand any day.

For myself, I don’t think it was the ruling alone that made the election day difference. But even if it did, I’ll still take it.

I think it was Trump/Maga that lost the Republican “red wave”. And if it wasn’t for Trump, we’d not have the SC that we have. So as far as I’m concerned, Trump gets credit for the SC and the blame for the election loss. But to me, his SC legacy out weighs the mid term loss.
I would strongly agree. The highest court in the land judging according to Christian and Catholic values seems like a very good thing. “Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people.”

On the other hand, having a slim majority of Republicans in Congress doesn’t seem that important. What exactly did the Republican majority do in 2016-2018?
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:41 pm
Sliceitup wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:41 am I saw comments today where conservatives were mad at the Supreme Court because the Dobbs ruling ruined this election for Republicans. Is this a widespread sentiment?
Because I’m quite unimpressed with the follow through of Republican politicians, I’m happy to get a genuine, sturdy Supreme Court ruling, rather than a wimpy Republican majority. I would prefer both; but if I had to pick between the SC we have, or a Republican House and Senate, I’ll take the bird in hand any day.

I think it was Trump/Maga that lost the Republican “red wave”. And if it wasn’t for Trump, we’d not have the SC that we have. So as far as I’m concerned, Trump gets credit for the SC and the blame for the election loss. But to me, his SC legacy out weighs the mid term loss.
I would strongly agree. The highest court in the land judging according to Christian and Catholic values seems like a very good thing. “Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people.”

On the other hand, having a slim majority of Republicans in Congress doesn’t seem that important. What exactly did the Republican majority do in 2016-2018?
Gave themselves a massive tax break?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh

Post by Josh »

Is that a bad thing?
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:15 am Is that a bad thing?
You tell me.

You and your children are paying for those million dollar tax breaks for the ultra-wealthy since they made absolutely no attempt to pay for it by reducing any spending.

A tax cut really isn't a tax cut if you don't pair it with spending cuts. All it really is is a shift in taxes to someone else. In this case that shift is to you and me.
1 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:13 am
You tell me.

You and your children are paying for those million dollar tax breaks for the ultra-wealthy since they made absolutely no attempt to pay for it by reducing any spending.

A tax cut really isn't a tax cut if you don't pair it with spending cuts. All it really is is a shift in taxes to someone else. In this case that shift is to you and me.
Does it? Half of Americans pay no taxes at all.

I know someone with 3 kids who gets more back from the government (free Medicaid; $1000/mo in ebt, tax refunds, EITC, child tax credit, stimulus payments) than he even makes in income in the first place.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:49 pm
You tell me.

I know someone with 3 kids who gets more back from the government (free Medicaid; $1000/mo in ebt, tax refunds, EITC, child tax credit, stimulus payments) than he even makes in income in the first place.
I believe the standard deduction this year for single filers is 12,950. Do you make more than that? If so, then you likely pay some tax. You are in Ohio? A quick peek at a standard tax calculator says that if you are single and earn $25,000 in rural Ohio you will owe about $3500 in federal income and FICA taxes. The median salary for employed working people in Ohio is about $58,000. That income will generate about $10,000 in Federal taxes. Those are who are paying for Trump's tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

A typical working class family is not pulling $58k. In the example I just gave, dad earns around $13/hr, mom $10,
Mom is part time, dad seems change jobs a lot.

They end up making around $30k. And there’s no reason to earn more or they’ll lose their EBT ($12k/year) and Medicaid (easily worth $10k/yr).
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

Ken wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:00 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:49 pm

You tell me.

I believe the standard deduction this year for single filers is 12,950. Do you make more than that? If so, then you likely pay some tax. You are in Ohio? A quick peek at a standard tax calculator says that if you are single and earn $25,000 in rural Ohio you will owe about $3500 in federal income and FICA taxes. The median salary for employed working people in Ohio is about $58,000. That income will generate about $10,000 in Federal taxes. Those are who are paying for Trump's tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires.
Just get married and have kids. Then you get more back in tax credits than you pay in. The single people who are working, and all the rich taxpayers will subsidize you to have kids. It's a wonderful thing. And that's not even counting all the other bennies you qualify for. Tell me that a lot of people haven't figured this out.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:17 pm A typical working class family is not pulling $58k. In the example I just gave, dad earns around $13/hr, mom $10,
Mom is part time, dad seems change jobs a lot.

They end up making around $30k. And there’s no reason to earn more or they’ll lose their EBT ($12k/year) and Medicaid (easily worth $10k/yr).
The median household income in Ohio is $58,000: https://www.incomebyzipcode.com/ohio

$30,000 is at about the 30th percentile for Ohio or right at the upper end of the bottom third. I guess that is about what you get with two people working two part-time minimum wage jobs. $23/hour (their combined wage) x 25 hours per week gives you $30,000.

$23/hr x 25 hrs/week x 52 weeks/year = $29,900

If they were both working full time at those wages they would be pulling in closer to $48,000 per year.

$23/hr x 40 hrs/week x 52 weeks/year = $47,900
0 x