For Those Who Agree With My Premise ...

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
temporal1

Re: For Those Who Agree With My Premise ...

Post by temporal1 »

After decades of watching powerful lobbies hijack Congress, i remain mystified it’s allowed.
it seems deeply anathema to everything the U.S. was supposed to be grounded upon. the basics.
not that the founders were deluded about the future. hopeful, not deluded.
0 x
steve-in-kville

Post by steve-in-kville »

Top corporations lobby Senate Republicans to codify same-sex ‘marriage,’ open door to polygamy

For the sake of discussion, define, in your own words, what you think polygamy is.
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:52 am Top corporations lobby Senate Republicans to codify same-sex ‘marriage,’ open door to polygamy

For the sake of discussion, define, in your own words, what you think polygamy is.
Sin.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:52 am Top corporations lobby Senate Republicans to codify same-sex ‘marriage,’ open door to polygamy

Someone who openly has a sexual relationship with more than one other person at the same time.

Quite common in the LGBT world and they are pushing hard for more societal acceptance of this. They call it "polyamory", though.
0 x
Falco Underhill
Affiliation: Hermit

Post by Falco Underhill »

I'd go with the dictionary...

Polygamy - the practice or custom of having more than one wife or husband at the same time.

https://www.google.com/search?q=polygam ... d:overview
0 x
steve-in-kville

Post by steve-in-kville »

The reason for the question, I was thinking of the Fundamentalist Mormons that believe the first wife is his legal wife, and the rest that follow are "spiritual wives." So technically its not polygamy, he has more than one intimate partner.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

for·ni·ca·tion / /ˌfôrnəˈkāSH(ə)n/
sexual intercourse between people not married to each other.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:39 am

The reason for the question, I was thinking of the Fundamentalist Mormons that believe the first wife is his legal wife, and the rest that follow are "spiritual wives." So technically its not polygamy, he has more than one intimate partner.
I’m sure if they could be legally married they would be. As it stands, they take advantage of welfare benefits that pay a lot more to unmarried mothers than married mothers.
0 x
Falco Underhill
Affiliation: Hermit

Post by Falco Underhill »

nett wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:35 pm
Falco Underhill wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:58 pm
temporal1 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:31 pm After decades of watching powerful lobbies hijack Congress, i remain mystified it’s allowed.
i remain mystified corporations want to involve themselves with social engineering matters, the extent of their willingness is mind boggling.

Not just domestically! It’s exported on a grand scale.

“How?” is easier to figure out than “Why?”
What can be done about it? I'm asking because I have no idea. Thanks for at least staying on topic!
Nothing can be done about it. This is why the church is (and always was) meant to be an alternative society.
So what are we supposed to do just keep preaching from the soap-boxes till the inevitable civilizational collapse comes — or the apocalypse, whichever comes first?
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:39 am

It is polygamy. It just doesn't violate the law against polygamy which prohibits simultaneous legal marriages to more than one person.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr