Opinion on the Roe v. Wade Leak

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.

Do you believe overturning Roe v. Wade be positive for the USA?

Yes
55%
No
13%
Don't know
32%

Total votes: 31

Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Opinion on the Roe v. Wade Leak

Post by Josh »

Then homosexual “parents” who are not biological parents nor a normal adoptive father & mother have no God-given rights either.

See how that works?
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:45 pm Then homosexual “parents” who are not biological parents nor a normal adoptive father & mother have no God-given rights either.

See how that works?
Yes, you are correct. Adoptive parents are not "natural" parents whether they are gay or straight. You can't just pick up a child on the street and claim him or her simply because desire to be an adoptive parent or because you think God said so. Adoptive parents have their parental rights conferred by the state through a formal administrative process, not by nature. And it is exactly the same whether they are gay or straight. I know this well as one of my daughters is adopted.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Yet in LM’s case, it was not a normal adoption. Instead she intentionally became a single parent by making sure the father and she would have no idea who each other are.

This is an unnatural state of affairs, regardless of “statute”.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:03 am Yet in LM’s case, it was not a normal adoption. Instead she intentionally became a single parent by making sure the father and she would have no idea who each other are.

God knows the father.
In time, he may be known to anyone seriously seeking him out. God-created DNA and new science unravel puzzles.

The father was an intentional bio father. No doubt about that.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:03 am Yet in LM’s case, it was not a normal adoption. Instead she intentionally became a single parent by making sure the father and she would have no idea who each other are.

She declared JJ to be the legal co-parent at birth and listed her on the birth certificate. That makes formal adoption redundant and unnecessary. And then acknowledged her as a co-parent during the separation proceedings and even went so far as to demand court-ordered child support from JJ during the custody fight. It is exactly the same legal process as for a straight couple that uses a sperm donor and artificial insemination. The father (who is not the biological father) is deemed to be the co-parent and listed on the birth certificate even though the child is not his biological child. This makes the process of adoption redundant and unnecessary. That is how the law works for both straight and gay couples who choose to use artificial insemination.

You may not like or approve of that, but it is how the law actually works. Non-biological parents do not go through the process of adoption to gain parental rights over children born through artificial insemination. Legally they are treated as if they are biological children. Whether the parent is gay or straight.
Last edited by Ken on Wed May 25, 2022 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
nett
Affiliation: Midwest Fellowship

Post by nett »

Ken wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:37 am

She declared JJ to be the legal co-parent at birth and listed her on the birth certificate. That makes formal adoption redundant and unnecessary. It is exactly the same legal process as for a straight couple that uses a sperm donor and artificial insemination. The father (who is not the biological father) is deemed to be the co-parent and listed on the birth certificate even though the child is not his biological child. This makes the process of adoption redundant and unnecessary. That is how the law works for both straight and gay couples who choose to use artificial insemination.

You may not like or approve of that, but it is how the law actually works. Non-biological parents do not go through the process of adoption to gain parental rights over children born through artificial insemination. Legally they are treated as if they are biological children. Whether the parent is gay or straight.
Except that's not how the law worked in Virginia. JJ's team argued a technicality that has nothing to do with Virginia law, and the US SCOTUS declined to hear the case.

Ken, do you think the girl would have had a better life had she ended up in JJ's sole custody, never seeing her biological mother again?
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

nett wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:45 am

She declared JJ to be the legal co-parent at birth and listed her on the birth certificate. That makes formal adoption redundant and unnecessary. It is exactly the same legal process as for a straight couple that uses a sperm donor and artificial insemination. The father (who is not the biological father) is deemed to be the co-parent and listed on the birth certificate even though the child is not his biological child. This makes the process of adoption redundant and unnecessary. That is how the law works for both straight and gay couples who choose to use artificial insemination.

Except that's not how the law worked in Virginia. JJ's team argued a technicality that has nothing to do with Virginia law, and the US SCOTUS declined to hear the case.

Ken, do you think the girl would have had a better life had she ended up in JJ's sole custody, never seeing her biological mother again?
When a custody battle crosses state lines and two states are in conflict the courts are there to work it out as they did in this case. That happens all the time. The original custody agreement was worked out in VT under VT law. She didn’t file for dissolution of their civil union in VA, she did so in VT.

As for whether or not the girl would have had a better life in the US or Honduras? I have no way of knowing. The original custody agreement was for LM to have primary custody and JJ to have visitation rights. Would she have had a better life growing up under those circumstances? I have no idea. Kids tend to be pretty adaptable. But she is now an adult and presumably trying to make a life in a country that she does not know and hasn’t been to since infancy. That has to be somewhat difficult.
0 x
nett

Post by nett »

Ken wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:53 am

When a custody battle crosses state lines and two states are in conflict the courts are there to work it out as they did in this case. That happens all the time. The original custody agreement was worked out in VT under VT law. She didn’t file for dissolution of their civil union in VA, she did so in VT.

As for whether or not the girl would have had a better life in the US or Honduras? I have no way of knowing. The original custody agreement was for LM to have primary custody and JJ to have visitation rights. Would she have had a better life growing up under those circumstances? I have no idea. Kids tend to be pretty adaptable. But she is now an adult and presumably trying to make a life in a country that she does not know and hasn’t been to since infancy. That has to be somewhat difficult.
I thought she was still in Nicaragua, where you are you getting this information?
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

nett wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:37 pm

I thought she was still in Nicaragua, where you are you getting this information?
I had assumed that they had both returned to the US. Perhaps I was wrong about that.
0 x
nett

Post by nett »

Ken wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:31 pm
nett wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:37 pm

I had assumed that they had both returned to the US. Perhaps I was wrong about that.
AFAIK nothing has changed about her circumstances since this article: https://apnews.com/article/vermont-civi ... 6c9365d010
the now-adult says she has been “happy, safe, healthy and I have been well cared for” since arriving in Nicaragua.

Isabella Miller said she remains outside the United States of her own free will.

“If (and when) I desire to return to the United States I will do so,”
“All the attorneys who purport to represent me and my wishes are acting contrary to my wishes and desires and in (a) way to further a cause that is the exact opposite of what my desires and wishes as their client in fact are,” she said in the affidavit.
0 x