Abortion Rates by Countries of the World

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Abortion Rates by Countries of the World

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:00 pm
Ken wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:21 am
Josh wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:18 am Most countries (including most of Europe) don’t allow third or second trimester abortions. Basically the only countries that do are America, Canada, North Korea, Finland, Netherlands, Russia, and a few other places I can’t remember.

The Supreme Court decision does not ban abortion either. A state can still allow unlimited abortion on demand right up until the moment of birth.

It is notable how strongly liberals and the left feel about this.
In your mind, what does it matter whether the abortion occurs one day after conception or 8 months after conception?
In your mind, why is an abortion in the third trimester necessary to be legal in all 50 states?

That’s the actual question at hand here.
There are sometimes emergency medical reasons for why late term abortions are necessary as you well know. Both when pregnancies are unviable and when the mother's life is at risk. I don't have a problem with restricting late-term abortions as long as women have access when medically necessary as determined by their doctors. That is the view of the majority of Americans and has been for decades. I am opposed to the criminalization of necessary medicine.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Caesarean deliveries generally result in 2 surviving lives, even in extreme cases, such as pregnant children.

Abortion is efficient at guaranteeing at least 1 grisly death, usually of a perfectly healthy viable human life.
Abortion is the most efficient killing machine invented, no military compares.
Protection of the life of the mother as an excuse for an abortion is a smoke screen.

In my 36 years of pediatric surgery, I have never known of one instance where the child had to be aborted to save the mother's life.
If toward the end of the pregnancy complications arise that threaten the mother's health, the doctor will induce labor or perform a Caesarean section.

His intention is to save the life of both the mother and the baby.
The baby's life is never willfully destroyed because the mother's life is in danger.
C. Everett Koop

Biography: C.E. Koop
https://profiles.nlm.nih.gov/spotlight/ ... l-overview
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Ken wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:54 pmThere are sometimes emergency medical reasons for why late term abortions are necessary as you well know. Both when pregnancies are unviable and when the mother's life is at risk.
Is this how you define viable and non-viable?
https://www.babymed.com/what-is-a-viabl ... -pregnancy#
A "non-viable pregnancy" is a pregnancy before 22-24 weeks when a baby if delivered has no chance of survival, even when there is a fetal heart rate in the uterus.
A "viable pregnancy" after 22-24 weeks is a pregnancy when there is a chance that if delivered the baby can survive.
Ken wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:54 pm I am opposed to the criminalization of necessary medicine.
Are there states in the US or countries of the world that criminalize necessary medicine in your opinion? If so, how does that look?
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ernie wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:25 am
Ken wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:54 pmThere are sometimes emergency medical reasons for why late term abortions are necessary as you well know. Both when pregnancies are unviable and when the mother's life is at risk.
Is this how you define viable and non-viable?
https://www.babymed.com/what-is-a-viabl ... -pregnancy#
A "non-viable pregnancy" is a pregnancy before 22-24 weeks when a baby if delivered has no chance of survival, even when there is a fetal heart rate in the uterus.
A "viable pregnancy" after 22-24 weeks is a pregnancy when there is a chance that if delivered the baby can survive.
Ken wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:54 pm I am opposed to the criminalization of necessary medicine.
Are there states in the US or countries of the world that criminalize necessary medicine in your opinion? If so, how does that look?
It looks like this: https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... d-abortion and this: https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... iscarriage

Most often it is medical providers refusing to conduct necessary care for fear of running afoul of laws. And that sort of thing will become more common in the US.
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:42 pm
It looks like this: https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... d-abortion and this: https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... iscarriage

Most often it is medical providers refusing to conduct necessary care for fear of running afoul of laws. And that sort of thing will become more common in the US.
Those are rare. Generally the true medical emergency comes from ectopic pregnancies otherwise if there isn't a heart beat 99.9999% of doctors wouldn't have any problem doing what is needed. That's just fear mongering to say that and far more likely that abortions will be relabeled as something else as what has happened in some Catholic hospitals which supposedly did not perform any abortions. A perioperative nurse I know encountered abortions several times despite it not being allowed in the hospital.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Hey Ken,

Ectopic pregnancies don’t happen in the second or third trimester.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:51 am Hey Ken,

And those aren't the only reason why some pregnancies become unviable.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:10 pm

Could you go ahead and make your moral case for third trimester abortions?
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:20 am

Again, why are you obsessed with trimesters? What does it matter when the abortion happens if in your mind it is exactly the same act whether we are talking about aborting an undivided egg cell moments after fertilization, or a third trimester fetus?

Are you trying to make some sort of moral relativism argument where a 3rd trimester abortion is worse than using a morning after pill? Isn't that inconsistent with your entire moral construct about abortion?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:30 am
Josh wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:20 am

Again, why are you obsessed with trimesters? What does it matter when the abortion happens if in your mind it is exactly the same act whether we are talking about aborting an undivided egg cell moments after fertilization, or a third trimester fetus?

Are you trying to make some sort of moral relativism argument where a 3rd trimester abortion is worse than using a morning after pill? Isn't that inconsistent with your entire moral construct about abortion?
Most people and most countries support restrictions or bans on second and third trimester abortions.

This seems like a reasonable political compromise. I am asking why making third trimester abortion on demand legal is so important.

I favour a gradual approach: over time, I would like to see abortion made more and more illegal until it is utterly banned. So I’m happy to start with restrictions on the third trimester and go from there.
0 x