Abortion Rates by Countries of the World

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Josh

Re: Abortion Rates by Countries of the World

Post by Josh »

Most countries (including most of Europe) don’t allow third or second trimester abortions. Basically the only countries that do are America, Canada, North Korea, Finland, Netherlands, Russia, and a few other places I can’t remember.

The Supreme Court decision does not ban abortion either. A state can still allow unlimited abortion on demand right up until the moment of birth.

It is notable how strongly liberals and the left feel about this.
0 x
Karstan78

Post by Karstan78 »

Szdfan wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:15 am
Karstan78 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:52 am What’s also interesting is that the age of consent is generally around 14 and in some at 12!
The age of consent in Germany is 14 if both people are under the age of 18. That seems to be an important qualifier.
Not just in Germany. It’s interesting because that is a young age for consent, and yet the abortion rate is lower for these countries. In general, teenagers and their unsafe practices are touted as the basis for abortion, how is it that these countries can keep a lower abortion rate?
It cant be the support offered ie universal healthcare or maternity/paternity benefits, because countries like Australia have these and abortion is widely practiced there.

As an aside, these European countries with low abortion rates are notorious for their very low (to almost nil) babies birthed with special needs, including Downs. So I’m wondering if the numbers have been skewed, or conditions on the actual abortions reported.

Eta, no the age of consent is 14 and the partner can be up until 21 or older if no one complains about it. And this is true in several other countries.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:18 am Most countries (including most of Europe) don’t allow third or second trimester abortions. Basically the only countries that do are America, Canada, North Korea, Finland, Netherlands, Russia, and a few other places I can’t remember.

The Supreme Court decision does not ban abortion either. A state can still allow unlimited abortion on demand right up until the moment of birth.

In your mind, what does it matter whether the abortion occurs one day after conception or 8 months after conception?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Soloist wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:38 pm Abortion rates are low in post modern countries because of how they define abortion.

i’m not sure of all you may have in mind, but i agree with this statement.
In fact, in recent years, there seems to be DEDICATED effort toward skewing statistics to achieve desired outcomes, across the board. Academia seems to wallow delight in it. Beautiful numbers on paper.** Held up as trophies!

Esp wrt public health+safety, crime, probably climate - the sad reasoning appears to be: Why FIX anything?? - Just skew numbers/facts to “FIX” reports, then call it a day. Collect your gov paycheck, and you’re on your way. Lazy+manipulative rules the day.

In order for stats to be useful, comparisons must be apples-to-apples.
Internationally, they are not. Even within the U.S., rules for abortions vary by state - this may soon be greatly exaggerated.

Define: LEGAL (as noted, lots of variations)

1) Are “morning-after” pills counted? How? Manufacturers know how many they produce/sell/distribute, no certainty about how many are used, nor how many were used for confirmed pregnancies. i suspect lots are ingested without any pregnancy. $$$$
Not ingested without trauma to the mother’s mind+body.

2) As Karstan points out, how are abortions of Down Syndrome/other “imperfect,” or, SEX-SELECTION abortions labeled??

3) How much confidence can there be in ILLEGAL abortions? (Presuming these are not monitored/tracked by gov.)
How could they be?

4) How many live born infants killed or abandoned to die by licensed abortionists? .. By distraught mothers?
Tracking? Not reported? Lying?

Human reasoning defaults to: sex ed+contraceptives are THE answer.

Really? (Without skewing stats?) .. prove it.
If goals are:
normalized fornication, destruction of families, churches, immorality, amorality, spread of STDs, HIV-AIDS, etc. = YES.
suicide rates and euthanasia should be considered, too. wealthy well-educated countries are not without troubling problems.

As has been shared in other threads, in the U.S., destruction of traditional family units in the black community has been particularly shocking. Rarely mentioned.

It appears the U.S., is well along in a shift to matriarchy, i suppose resulting from so many fatherless homes, but the trend is not remaining there. As a system, i do not see this as advantageous over patriarchy. Different, not better. Sad. and worse than sad.

Youthful (adolescent?) U.S. in growing pains. Not sure the U.S. will make it to adolescence. No guarantees.

In the past, i’ve read Iceland proudly aborts nearly 100% of Down Syndrome babies.
i’ve also read numerous cases of doctors recommending abortion for Down S and other imperfections, yet the parents rejected abortion and birthed normal infants.

1980’s.
We had friends with a later in life pregnancy, both parents held doctorate degrees, with one beautiful healthy daughter.
She told me they would not test for Down S, stating they’d already decided to accept+love the infant unconditionally.
The test held risk, and the outcome would not change their decision. They were blessed with a healthy girl.

Stats are interesting. So many questions about their value.
For matters of life+death, prayer is the better guide.

**i must be careful.
my dear dil has a doctorate in Applied Mathematics. (i forgive her.) :lol:
0 x
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Karstan78 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:52 am
Karstan78 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:52 am What’s also interesting is that the age of consent is generally around 14 and in some at 12!
The age of consent in Germany is 14 if both people are under the age of 18. That seems to be an important qualifier.
Not just in Germany. It’s interesting because that is a young age for consent, and yet the abortion rate is lower for these countries. In general, teenagers and their unsafe practices are touted as the basis for abortion, how is it that these countries can keep a lower abortion rate?
It cant be the support offered ie universal healthcare or maternity/paternity benefits, because countries like Australia have these and abortion is widely practiced there.
There could be a whole host of reasons why there are differences -- how is available is contraception in Australia to teens? What about comprehensive sexual education?[/quote]
As an aside, these European countries with low abortion rates are notorious for their very low (to almost nil) babies birthed with special needs, including Downs. So I’m wondering if the numbers have been skewed, or conditions on the actual abortions reported.
As the report noted, the numbers may not be completely accurate.
Eta, no the age of consent is 14 and the partner can be up until 21 or older if no one complains about it. And this is true in several other countries.
I was going by what Google said.
0 x
Karstan78

Post by Karstan78 »

Szdfan wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:29 pm
There could be a whole host of reasons why there are differences -- how is available is contraception in Australia to teens? What about comprehensive sexual education?
Birth control and even abortions are under the „universal healthcare“ umbrella. I used Australia as they seem to have a similar standard of living, wages, healthcare and parental care to German/Western Europe.

My personal experience is that Australia is intolerant to anymore than a „pigeon pair“, a social stigma against anything more unless one has had more of the same gender and even then, stop at three. Random people will come and tell us that we are ruining the Earth with overpopulation and Dr‘s will try to dissuade us from continuing a pregnancy because of xyz reason. Which is very different to our experience here in Germany. It too has an aging population and though Germans are known for their blunt opinions, I haven’t experienced any negativity from passing strangers to Drs and we’ve had two caesareans here (giving us a total of 6 children).

I don’t know the answers but it seems abortion is our modern equivalent of sacrificing to Moloch.
1 x
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Karstan78 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:19 pm

There could be a whole host of reasons why there are differences -- how is available is contraception in Australia to teens? What about comprehensive sexual education?
Birth control and even abortions are under the „universal healthcare“ umbrella. I used Australia as they seem to have a similar standard of living, wages, healthcare and parental care to German/Western Europe.

My personal experience is that Australia is intolerant to anymore than a „pigeon pair“, a social stigma against anything more unless one has had more of the same gender and even then, stop at three. Random people will come and tell us that we are ruining the Earth with overpopulation and Dr‘s will try to dissuade us from continuing a pregnancy because of xyz reason.
I'm sorry, I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding this and it may be due to language. Kannst du es bitte auf Deutsch versuchen?
Which is very different to our experience here in Germany. It too has an aging population and though Germans are known for their blunt opinions, I haven’t experienced any negativity from passing strangers to Drs and we’ve had two caesareans here (giving us a total of 6 children).
In the mid-90's, my Dad was the public relations person for the Baptist hospital network in Berlin-Brandenburg. After reunification, they had taken over a couple of former state-owned East German hospitals. I remember some controversy when they decided to no longer perform abortions, but I don't remember it being a huge deal.
0 x
Karstan78

Post by Karstan78 »

Szdfan wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:48 pm
Karstan78 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:19 pm

My personal experience is that Australia is intolerant to anymore than a „pigeon pair“, a social stigma against anything more unless one has had more of the same gender and even then, stop at three. Random people will come and tell us that we are ruining the Earth with overpopulation and Dr‘s will try to dissuade us from continuing a pregnancy because of xyz reason.
I'm sorry, I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding this and it may be due to language. Kannst du es bitte auf Deutsch versuchen?
I meant that even though both countries offer almost the same kind of standards, healthcare etc the actual Australian mentality is that a person has two children and is finished. Everything reflects this attitude and oftentimes strangers (any- on the train, in the stores and even at a Dr appt) will feel the need to comment on a person‘s family size. I‘ve read that in western countries like Australia the biggest portion of women who access abortion are married. Perhaps some are from extra-martial affairs, however in a society like Australia where having anymore than 2-3, a woman would feel pressured in getting this „problem“ taken care of, so as to continue their lives.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Leave it to advanced human reasoning to “logic” oneself out of existence.
What was once idle academic speculation (like ZPG) is now experienced in sorry real life results.

i’ve been interested in Hungary’s pro-family policies:

Is Hungary Experiencing a Policy-Induced Baby Boom?
https://ifstudies.org/blog/is-hungary-e ... -baby-boom

Presumably, their gov schools are not leading students to hate their families+churches, hate themselves and each other, hate+fear the unborn, idealize animals, romanticize euthanasia, embrace untested social engineering experiments and mortal sins, etc.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:21 am
Josh wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:18 am Most countries (including most of Europe) don’t allow third or second trimester abortions. Basically the only countries that do are America, Canada, North Korea, Finland, Netherlands, Russia, and a few other places I can’t remember.

In your mind, what does it matter whether the abortion occurs one day after conception or 8 months after conception?
In your mind, why is an abortion in the third trimester necessary to be legal in all 50 states?

That’s the actual question at hand here.
0 x