Poll: Civil Disobedience as a Peaceful Form of Political Protest

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.

Check all that you agree with... based on A (not B-D)

1. Civil disobedience as a peaceful form of political protest typically accomplishes more long term good than thorough and respectful appeal.
6%
2. Thorough and respectful appeal typically accomplishes more long term good than civil disobedience as a peaceful form of political protest.
10%
3. The New Testament gives Christians the liberty to engage in civil disobedience as a peaceful form of political protest.
14%
4. I don't know if the New Testament gives Christians the liberty to do so, but regardless, I think it is fine.
No votes
5. Christians should only resort to civil disobedience as a peaceful form of political protest once all efforts of appeal have been exhausted.
6%
6. Christians should engage in civil disobedience as a peaceful form of political protest reluctantly and not joyfully.
4%
7. Christians should not engage in civil disobedience as a peaceful form of political protest.
10%
8. Christians should not support those engaged in civil disobedience as a peaceful form of political protest, even if they favor the causes behind the protest.
10%
9. Christians should avoid showing up among those engaged in civil disobedience as a peaceful form of political protest, so that their presence is not confused with support for the protest.
14%
10. The New Testament gives Christians the liberty to appeal to civil authorities and speak out against unethical government decisions.
24%

Total votes: 49

temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Poll: Civil Disobedience as a Peaceful Form of Political Protest

Post by temporal1 »

Signtist wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:51 pm
Ernie wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:27 am It is my job to exhort fellow Christians to stop supporting those who are protesting in illegal ways, and exhort fellow Christians to stop supporting those who are being unkind to the residents of Ottawa.
What about the protest has been illegal? I honestly can't find anything except politicians saying it is, to make it so. I'm assuming parking violations would be one, but don't actually know. Police also barricaded a lot of stuff, so it's a bit hard to know what is blocked by trucks and what is blocked by LEO'S.

As for unkindness to Ottawa residents, you could take that up with the owners of businesses that were saved the last month due to increased revenues from the protesters. I'm sure they didn't see it as an inconvenience. How many people do you know who have first hand accounts of Ottawa the past 3 weeks? Do their accounts match what you read on CBC?

I personally know a handful of people involved in the protest. I also know a handful more who went to see what it's all about. Their stories are fascinating. While locals are no doubt impacted negatively by the protest, the stories of support from local residents are also something to consider.

Thanks again for taking the time to speak from within Canada.
i hope it doesn’t get “too” frustrating. :P :)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Ernie wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:01 amFor the record, I am glad to speak out against civil government officers on horseback, trampling an elderly woman in a walker, especially if she was not resisting the government. https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/ ... -in-ottawa
Just a clarification that I would only speak out against this if she was an innocent person trying to make her way home or to the store, etc.
From what I can learn so far, this lady was part of the protest and did not leave the area when told repeatedly to do so. It also appears that she threw something at a police horse. (I haven't yet been able to identify the object)
Romans 13:2 "Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment."
I'm still sorry that she got trampled.
joshuabgood wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:10 am Great. In what way would you speak out against it? Would you physically be willing to sacrifice your body to stop violence? Would you publicly rebuke the organization responsible?
So I will now need to speak hypothetically since she was not innocent.

For the sake of discussion, let's say there are protests going on in my city, the protesters are not violent, and the police (in an effort to drive out the protestors) are hurting people who are simply going about their everyday lives and get caught in the skirmish.

I think I might write a letter to the police, explaining the situation, and ask them to refrain from driving out the protestors, until they can do so without hurting innocent civilians. I may also request a meeting with one of the chiefs to talk about this in person.
joshuabgood wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:10 amWhat do you think Christians should have done on behalf of little six-year old Ruby Bridges who existed in a society that facilitated her being cursed at by angry adult white God-fearing Christians and received death threats for going to school and her food literally had to be tested prior to her eating it? In your view what obligation do Christians have to speak out against and disobey the legal expectations around the dehumanization of signs that say for whites only?
I can imagine preaching about this to my church, and look for opportunities to speak out against this to professing Christians and others in society. I can imagine asking her mom for the privilege of walking along side of her to school and hold her hand.
joshuabgood wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:10 amOr prohibiting interracial relationships...also in the name of God incidentally.
I oversee a call center of about 30 persons. One of the men who answers the phone advised against interracial marriage. I asked him to stop doing this, and also added a sentence about this in our training manual.
joshuabgood wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:10 amOr against the incineration of millions of Japanese children. Also a supposed Godly/just war.
similar to the above.
joshuabgood wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:10 amI think probably some table flipping is in order. And I can't get behind remaining "aloof."
I guess it depends on what kind of weapons God expects us to use. We are to come to the aid of the disadvantaged, the poor, the neglected, etc. and we are to help in the cause of justice for these people. I'll need to give more thought as to what kind of table flipping seems appropriate to me and what kind of table flipping is not for the Christian.
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

temporal1 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:12 am
Thanks again for taking the time to speak from within Canada.
I need to take a break.
0 x
Signtist

Post by Signtist »

Ernie wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:37 am It also appears that she threw something at a police horse. (I haven't yet been able to identify the object)
It would appear common knowledge that she had a walker, I do not think it was thrown at a horse, contrary to what Ottawa Police said o line. Video would show different. It is also common knowledge that the police, online, laughed at the incident and joked about "practicing that manouver." The Special Investigations Unit is looking into the incident.
1 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Signtist wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:26 pm
Ernie wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:37 am It also appears that she threw something at a police horse. (I haven't yet been able to identify the object)
It would appear common knowledge that she had a walker, I do not think it was thrown at a horse, contrary to what Ottawa Police said o line. Video would show different. It is also common knowledge that the police, online, laughed at the incident and joked about "practicing that manouver." The Special Investigations Unit is looking into the incident.
I posted a video that clearly shows what happened. She threw nothing. The horse knocked her over and stepped on her along with another man. I saw no need for the horses. The protesters were just standing, nit fighting or being aggressive.
2 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Signtist wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:58 am
temporal1 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:12 am Thanks again for taking the time to speak from within Canada.
I need to take a break.
Signtist wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:26 pm

If you take a break, be well, and DON’T be a stranger for too long. :D
Each of your posts on this topic is worth revisiting, you’ve added depth and insights as idle bystanders cannot.

Maybe you should stay long enough to ensure members know how to spell, “Ottawa.” :idea:
Evidently, it’s more than a 1-man job. oj could use an extra hand. :P
1 x

UNKNOWN
Signtist

Post by Signtist »

I am an "idle bystander", for the most part. But I have watched and seen things, even if from afar, that I don't expect an American to have seen much less understood. Robert is doing a fantastic job of making me feel less like the odd man out. I'd say we could do worse than make him an honourary Canadian!
1 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Signtist wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:42 pm I'd say we could do worse than make him an honourary Canadian!
I feel I already am. If I had one, I would fly the Canadian fly at my house. I will not even fly the US flag, but I would make an exception for this. I do not see it as nationalism, but a statement of individualism.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Signtist wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:42 pm I am an "idle bystander", for the most part.
But I have watched and seen things, even if from afar, that I don't expect an American to have seen much less understood.

Robert is doing a fantastic job of making me feel less like the odd man out.
I'd say we could do worse than make him an honourary Canadian!
:D
as for informing, hillperson has done well, too. don’t ignore the quiet ones. big mistake. :P

we in the U.S. are desperately ignorant of other countries! i mourn this, i see no reasonable excuse for it.
this forum has a surprising population of Canadians. helpful. i value them.

i value voices from outside the states, esp on this forum, with common interest in exploring authentic Christian faith found here.

i’m hoping, for the longer term, these everyday, working men in Canada will have a positive ripple effect on men everywhere, about the importance of being a man, for one thing; of being community and family oriented, being responsible to their wives+children. seeking faith in Jesus Christ. (this is “preaching to the choir” on this forum) but, in the world, o.my, what a dreadful hurting mess.

i wish them well. i wish Canada well. i pray godless empty-headed (misguided) leaders will be guided onto better paths.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:54 pm
Signtist wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:42 pm I'd say we could do worse than make him an honourary Canadian!
I feel I already am. If I had one, I would fly the Canadian fly at my house. I will not even fly the US flag, but I would make an exception for this. I do not see it as nationalism, but a statement of individualism.

Don’t fret. Plenty of Canadians live in the U.S., esp in winter!
Expect to see many in Texas. :lol:
0 x

UNKNOWN