Critical Race Theory and systemic inequalities

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Critical Race Theory and systemic inequalities

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:04 pm The core problem is places run by Democrats seem to be really unaffordable and to have all kinds of laws making housing really expensive.

So it seems strange that Ken’s answer is even more leftist, liberal government regulations. Housing is expensive on the West Coast thanks to decades of single-party leftist rule.

Interestingly, Ken doesn’t want to live in Portland, which has all kinds of laws favouring “urban” housing, urban growth boundaries, and other things to make housing more “affordable”. He instead lives in the most conservative, right wing area in the Portland metro - then complains non stop about conservatives and right wing people. It’s really quite something to behold.
You sure seem to think you know a lot about someone you have never met. My wife and I both work in Vancouver and Camas. Why would we live across the river in another state and subject ourselves to a ridiculous commute just to live in Portland? Where we live now I can bike to work in 10-15 minutes. As far as living in a right-wing area goes? The community that I live in voted for Biden over Trump by about 20 points. My own neighborhood by 63 to 33 or 30 points. Our county, which is a vast area with a population of about 500,000 went for Biden by 6 points. It is hardly conservative or right wing. At best it is purplish trending blue. There are rural red areas much further out just like in every metro area in the country. That isn’t where we live or work.

And, of course you missed the entire point of my post. It is current laws and regulations that make housing more expensive here and everywhere else in the country. I’m advocating for less regulation not more.

As for why Portland is more expensive than say, rural Ohio? It isn’t left wing policies. It is because Portland is far more productive and generates far more high-income jobs and demand for housing. The largest and fastest housing price increases in this entire region are in Boise ID which is in the reddest of red states. The western city with the second fastest housing price increases is Salt Lake City. And for the same exact reasons that housing is expensive in Portland and Seattle. People want to live there and money is flowing there while at the same time, regulations artificially restrict housing supply and the type of housing that can be built.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Where I live there aren’t really many regulations preventing new housing from being built. According to you this should make it some kind of paradise.
0 x
nett
Affiliation: Midwest Fellowship

Post by nett »

This is from the NYT. I think it's a very well done piece, specifically explains why what Ken wants cannot happen.

Basically rich, white liberals advocate for things, then vote against those things when it hits home.

I'm not accusing Ken of this directly, in reality he might be the exception. But most people with his views, and status tend to not want the policies they advocate in their back door.

0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

nett wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:39 am This is from the NYT. I think it's a very well done piece, specifically explains why what Ken wants cannot happen.

Basically rich, white liberals advocate for things, then vote against those things when it hits home.

I'm not accusing Ken of this directly, in reality he might be the exception. But most people with his views, and status tend to not want the policies they advocate in their back door.
I saw this story and agree with it entirely. Racism is an equal opportunity vice, not just a phenomenon of the right. White liberals can be racist just like white conservatives. When it comes to housing, I would be considered a YIMBY not a NIMBY and I recognize that I'm in the minority. But of course it isn't just liberal communities and states. It is universal. Austin has become one of the most expensive housing markets in the country and it is in a red state that tends to be hostile to regulation and restrictions on development. Housing prices in Dallas are also skyrocketing. The same exact forces are at play there too.

One has to go outside the United States to find things like housing policy done well. Vienna Austria, for example: https://theworld.org/stories/2015-10-26 ... g-projects
0 x
nett

Post by nett »

Ken wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:54 am
nett wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:39 am This is from the NYT. I think it's a very well done piece, specifically explains why what Ken wants cannot happen.

I saw this story and agree with it entirely. Racism is an equal opportunity vice, not just a phenomenon of the right. White liberals can be racist just like white conservatives. When it comes to housing, I would be considered a YIMBY not a NIMBY and I recognize that I'm in the minority. But of course it isn't just liberal communities and states. It is universal. Austin has become one of the most expensive housing markets in the country and it is in a red state that tends to be hostile to regulation and restrictions on development. Housing prices in Dallas are also skyrocketing. The same exact forces are at play there too.

One has to go outside the United States to find things like housing policy done well. Vienna Austria, for example: https://theworld.org/stories/2015-10-26 ... g-projects
This is not a race issue. It's a class issue. For these people, NIMBY applies just as strongly to "white trash" or "rednecks".

Austin voted >70% democrat in the last election. Like the video said, it's liberal hypocrisy, right-wingers tend not have any qualms about expressing their classist preferences in housing. That doesn't make it OK, but it's better to be an honest bigot, than a hypocrite.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

nett wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:21 am

This is not a race issue. It's a class issue. For these people, NIMBY applies just as strongly to "white trash" or "rednecks".

Austin voted >70% democrat in the last election. Like the video said, it's liberal hypocrisy, right-wingers tend not have any qualms about expressing their classist preferences in housing. That doesn't make it OK, but it's better to be an honest bigot, than a hypocrite.
Yes, although you can never completely separate class and race in this country. Austin may be a blue city within the city limits. But it is operating in a bright red state in which the state legislature regulates all manner of municipal affairs down to things as trivial as whether municipalities can ban plastic bags to more consequential such as whether municipalities can regulate oil and gas drilling within their boundaries.

I will be the first to admit that there is a lot of rich white liberal hypocrisy in this country. And a lot of performative nonsense that is done not because it actually accomplishes anything, but because it makes people feel better or more superior I guess. But of course hypocrisy is a completely equal opportunity employer. We could have a similar discussion about right-wing white evangelical Christians.

And no, it isn’t better to be an honest bigot than a hypocrite. Whatever gave you that idea? We don’t give the KKK brownie points because “at least they are honest about their bigotry”. We should call out bigotry in all its forms. Both the overt and the covert.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

nett wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:21 am …it's better to be an honest bigot, than a hypocrite.
Better? Better how, or better for whom? For example, I think being a liberal hypocrite is better served for the hypocrite, than being a conservative bigot is for the bigot.
0 x
nett

Post by nett »

RZehr wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:46 am
nett wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:21 am …it's better to be an honest bigot, than a hypocrite.
Better? Better how, or better for whom? For example, I think being a liberal hypocrite is better served for the hypocrite, than being a conservative bigot is for the bigot.
Take it up with Proverbs, not me. Whether anyone likes it or not, bigotry is not condemned like hypocrisy is. Yes some bad things are not as bad as others.
1 x
nett

Post by nett »

Ken wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:42 am
nett wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:21 am

Yes, although you can never completely separate class and race in this country. Austin may be a blue city within the city limits. But it is operating in a bright red state in which the state legislature regulates all manner of municipal affairs down to things as trivial as whether municipalities can ban plastic bags to more consequential such as whether municipalities can regulate oil and gas drilling within their boundaries.

I will be the first to admit that there is a lot of rich white liberal hypocrisy in this country. And a lot of performative nonsense that is done not because it actually accomplishes anything, but because it makes people feel better or more superior I guess. But of course hypocrisy is a completely equal opportunity employer. We could have a similar discussion about right-wing white evangelical Christians.

And no, it isn’t better to be an honest bigot than a hypocrite. Whatever gave you that idea? We don’t give the KKK brownie points because “at least they are honest about their bigotry”. We should call out bigotry in all its forms. Both the overt and the covert.
The KKK is meaningless, they say a lot of nasty things, but are toothless. Hypocritical liberals comprise the concentration of power in the West, and while they lots of nice things, they do REALLY REALLY bad things. That's a lot worse!

The KKK has done far less damage than hypocritical liberals who have obliterated access to safe housing for 10 million+ people just in the past decade.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

:idea: Thomas Sowell has highly educated opinions. Fascinating real life experiences.

“Thomas Sowell on current black culture”
He wrote: Black Rednecks /White Liberals (and a dozen other books)

“Thomas Sowell on myths of economic inequality”

i’m never understanding why this topic is never discussed from a balanced view.
because, there are differing views from those with first-person (black/poc) experience, former Marxist, highly educated, fact-based. ignored.

it’s just downright peculiar how that is.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN